The HUMBLE PIE thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Inspired by this FANTASTIC closed thread, The Humble Pie Album by Album thread , I'd like to re-bake The Pie.

This thread is for all things Humble Pie.

My first concert:
    upload_2019-4-16_16-23-39.jpeg

Any news on the box set talked about a few years ago?

I've been playing the first two albums a lot lately (As Safe As Yesterday Is and Town & Country) and would love to see new vinyl versions released. The Repertoire '92 releases on CD, which are said to be the best-sounding in digital form, are grossly over-priced. I wish there were affordable versions that aren't over-compressed, but it looks like not. The Immediate Anthology Natural Born Bugie is pretty much it for now, with great bonus tracks. Some video releases would be most welcome as well.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I really like the live album. Good stuff.

3. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

OH.

YES.

Been spinning this thing today at work (well, the needledrop, anyway) :

[​IMG]

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I only have the Town and Country Repertoire and it does indeed sound very good. I agree that new vinyl versions are in order for both Immediate albums and the self titled 3rd album on A&M. Those 3 plus Rockin' The Fillmore pretty much constitute my favorite Pie stuff, mostly because they lose me after Frampton left. But that's me.
    What box set?

5. MTCIII65

MTCIII65 Where The Loud Sound Abounds!

I have been on a constant hunt for a decent priced Repertoire ‘92 “As Safe As Yesterday Is” for the longest time - under $30 and I would be happy!

Rich-n-Roll, Crimson Witch and Jerry like this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

One of the best concerts I ever attended was a Humble Pie concert. The energy level was equal to the Stones. Steve Marriott was one of the greatest frontmen ever.

7. tages

tages Senior Member

I've said it before but my original UK Immediate "Town And Country" is one of the smoothest, deepest, just downright wonderful sounding albums I've ever heard.

Just a joy to listen to.

The Pie rules.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

First concert I ever saw I was 16

Humble Pie/ Edgar Winter Group / Ramatam

Ronnie Montrose was still in the EWG and Ramatam had Mitch Mitchell on drums and an amazing female guitar player, April Lawton.

Saw Deep Purple the week after at the same venue.

[​IMG]

9. Tedd

Tedd Forum Resident

Saw the same show -
    Saw the same show - a great era for seeing live shows - I think that it was $5 for a ticket.

Also was at the Deep Purple concert - Don't know if you remember but the concert was postponed until the next day, August 31st - not sure why.

classicrocker and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. [​IMG]

Their self titled third album is my favourite. I love the artwork too.

11. I’m a relatively recent convert to Humble Pie. I really started connecting with them four or five years ago and the s/t album is what got me started. I love the Glyn Johns sound for the band. They worked the harmonies and that guitar tone on ‘Red Light Mamma, Red Hot’ is so thick and awesome. I always play this lp top to bottom.

Also, don’t sleep on the B side ‘Mr.Ring’ from the Shine On single. It’s a vibey and snakey Greg Ridley classic.

This band needs a proper boxed set!

12. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Love the Pie, but my favorites are probably not everyone else's - Street Rats, Thunderbox & Smokin'. And The Fillmore, of course.

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Created the best live Album ever released!

14. Jerry

And the box set from those shows is mandatory.

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Saw them a few times at the Fillmore, always middle of the bill, and they were always a very tough act to follow. I'd say those shows are their live peak.

16. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

The In Concert cd with Clem Clempson is no slouch either!!

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They were never the same after Frampton left. Rock On!:cheers:

19. Jerry

They were good after Frampton left, but imbalanced.

20. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

brilliant! great band. sheesh.

21. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Interesting that Peter Frampton's band would have opened for his former band.

And HP was my first concert as well that year. March 24 in Kansas City with Black Oak Arkansas (who were huge in KC) opening.

22. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

you guys made me go back and listen to this. i haven't heard this in YEARS! this band named that lp properly. steven stills on b'ground vox and b3?! who knew.

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Humble Pie was/is simply fantastic!!

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

One of my fave bands (the Frampton years that is), as well as Marriott's solo years.

I also love Smokin', but the rest of the albums with Clem are putrid IMO. Absolutely hate the soul music/blackberries direction on Eat It and Thunderbox, and the cocaine fueled out of my head Marriott's Street Rats mess of an album is just godawful in every way. Again my opinion.

That being said, I dug the two Pie Mark III comeback albums On To Victory and Go For the Throat with Steve, Jerry and hired hands Bobby Tench and Sooty Jones. The song "Fool for a Pretty Face" from On To Victory deserved to be a top 10 radio hit and should be remembered today alongside all hit singles from the 60s or 70s like Brown Sugar or Jumpin' Jack Flash territory but somehow in a crime against all humanity that never happened. What a killer song courtesy Mr. Marriott!!

I even liked seeing them years later with Charlie Huhn on vocals (3 times I believe) - one of those times even had Wally Stocker of the Babys on guitar!

Jerry Shirley's newer lineup in 2002 with the Back On Track album was a huge disappointment for me though. Even though it featured Greg Ridley back in the fold I thought it was horrible.

As far as the new boxset with rarities goes that is still in the works but hit some snags last I heard, which are being ironed out (hopefully).

Until then there are several official bootleg boxsets for Pie and Marriott that have come out in recent years to sink your ears into if you don't mind less than stellar quality sources. I donated some stuff from my collection for these btw although I do not know exactly what I sent in ended up being used.

Lurgan Lad and Oliver like this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

To my mind they got it right on Eat It (at least the first three sides, which together are a solid normal-length album). Some of Marriott's best singing ever on the covers side, a couple beautiful things on the acoustic side, and the first side nicely unites the soul sound with the familiar Pie rock. Thunderbox and Street Rats are indeed a mess.