The HUMBLE PIE thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Apr 16, 2019.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I have an excellent silver boot of that already on the "Midas Touch" label so nothing new here for me unfortunately. Doubt I will pick it up especially in light of sound quality criticisms mentioned by Rockin' Robby.

2. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

I have that Midas Touch one too. It is listenable, but by the standards of other BBC recordings I have heard, there must be a better recording of it out there somewhere. Midas Touch has a lot of hiss that makes me think it is from a high-gen tape.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

It's been a long time since I listened to it but for some reason I remembered it sounding great. Maybe I am confusing it with another boot I have on the same label.

If the new release gets some decent reviews being a sound upgrade then I'll pick it up but sounded like that wasn't the case (?).

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have the Midas Touch , and I think it's very listenable.

John Fell and slipkid like this.
  5. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i love the entire track. but the intro's A cappella vocal run through on "30 days" is brilliant and fun.

6. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

“I Walk On Gilded Splinters” LIVE 1971 [Reelin' In The Years Archive]

7. granola

granola Forum Resident

Humble Pie - Up Our Sleeve

From 2021.7.28 release "Live at Shibuya Kokaido, Tokyo '73" (CD)

8. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

Does anyone else have a copy of the Japanese SHM Smokin' from 2010? (UICY-20096)? I never see it mentioned here. I'm curious about your opinions of it. It sounds really good to me but I wonder if any of the other SHM-only releases are better than this one? I'm sure one of the SACD's is best but I haven't acquired any yet.

I've always been a big Marriott fan but the last time I saw the Pie was at Detroit's Cobo Arena in Nov '73. I loved how they presented the Blackberries (3 stupendous voices you've heard many times elsewhere) on a little riser and the little runway they built out into the audience for Steve. Great sold out show and enthusiastic audience that night - I suspect that the "Eat It" set list probably went down more easily in Detroit than most places. I loved most of that album but I still haven't replaced my unbearable 1991 Japanese CD of "Eat It".

9. Rockin' Robby

For Smokin' I really enjoy UICY-93222! I wonder if if is same mastering as yours. 24bit by Hideaki Nishimura 2007. I haven't heard an SACD though. For Eat It UICY-93223 is great too! I can recommend that one! Dynamics are great on that series.

Belsnickel and Glenn coates like this.
  10. Belsnickel

Thanks Robby, I suspect you may be right that the 2010 is the same mastering as the 2007. I will try to obtain a copy to compare. Thanks for the Eat It recommendation - I've been intending to check out the Lemon reissue and will try to get the UICY-93223 as well.

Glenn coates likes this.
  11. Rockin' Robby

I see on the database that those reissues have a DR of about 9. Not the most dynamic, but definitely not destroyed. Still the best I have heard. I would imagine the SACD is best for Smokin'. I still need to hear a copy of that.

Rose River Bear and Belsnickel like this.
  12. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

My absolute favorite kind of pie.

13. Belsnickel

I just discovered that the matrix runout on the UICY-20096 is "UICY-93222"! I didn't inspect it close enough before. So far it's the best I've heard but will definitely obtain an SACD.

In HS 1972-73 I worked PT at a pants store where my HS BF also worked. She drew my name for our Xmas gift exchange and gave me a copy of Smokin' with a hash pipe tied into it's ribbon! We were the scandal of the holidays.

14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The SACD is better at higher volumes but I like to listen to the UICY-93222 when I want to listen at a tamer volume. The UICY has better guitar tone.

15. Rockin' Robby

I have heard a number of versions of Town and Country. They often have reversed channels. For anybody who has the 1st UK vinyl, on Take Me Back, are Frampton's vocals in the right or left channel? Please let us know. Thanks!

Glenn coates likes this.
  16. Rockin' Robby

17. Brettlowden

Brettlowden Forum Resident

I saw Ramatam. April Lawton was amazing and i was very lucky to get to see Mitch play.

Tedd and Jonny W like this.
  18. Tedd

Tedd Forum Resident

I missed that one - Gaelic Park had some great shows.

19. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident

I got the On 79th Street RSD release. Whilst it sounds awesome, i have a minor issue with as safe as yesterday.
    Dropbox - Humble Pie 1.wav - Simplify your life I dunno if its on the master itself? I listened to a vinyl rip on youtube, and its sorta the same.

20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Jerry Shirley post this on his Humble Pie Facebook page last week.

As it is my 70th birthday today I wanted to thank all the birthday best wishes and welcome again all the members who have joined recently and who continue to support our band via this page and others. We have some exciting news for all Humble Pie fans that I will be revealing soon. It involves celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the release of Smokin' our most successful studio album so watch this space. Also we have finally been given the OK for the release of the Vinyl Box Set in CD form to be released later this year. So for those who couldn't get the vinyl box set they will now be able to get it exactly as it was before in vinyl only it will be a CD box set instead of vinyl.

21. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Thanks John! As I'm not on FB could you please keep us updated when you can?

John Fell likes this.
  22. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Boy I hope they do a smokin' remaster of Smokin' on vinyl. One of my all time favorites.

Alan2 likes this.
  23. Larry Seinfeld

Larry Seinfeld Forum Resident

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  24. I really wish that the eponymous album would be reissued properly....My original U.S. copy is not so swift....

kevin5brown and Sci-Flyer like this.
  25. Rockin' Robby

The Canadian "TG" is freakin' excellent.