The Industrial Forum

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jatticus, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Industrial Dance

Industrial Dance Active Member

Industrial Music in the times of the Corona Cult: Enjoy this album while you wait for the Bunker Busters. These will break down the protective walls against the deadly state domination virus.

Abortive Gasp: Bunker Busters (Compilation)

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. DTM2

DTM2 New Member

This i

3. DTM2

DTM2 New Member

This is noteworthy

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  4. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

Severed Heads fans take note, a new deluxe edition of the band's 1987 album Bad Mood Guy is soon to be released in January. This album finds the band still rooted in Industrial, but with a touch of EDM, before they took a sharp turn into synth-pop with the following album.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it doesn't carry over the Nettwerk album design, but the new look is appealing at least.

5. sinistrail sentinel

Speaking of Severed Heads I recently discovered former member Garry Bradbury's final album Yakovlevian Torque (sadly he passed away earlier this year). Though I'm not sure it belongs in the Industrial bin per se, he does like to make some wacky experimental electronic music.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    patient_ot and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Wax Trax! released FLA's 1992 album Tactical Neural Implant recently. Greg did the remaster.
    Sample clearances were apparently done a few years ago. Artoffact Records Canada was originally going to release it as part of a box set with other albums but pre-orders were dismal (it was super expensive) so it was cancelled.
    I might grab it for collection/band support reasons.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  7. sinistrail sentinel

Looks nice as an album, but sadly for me no CD seems to be available. I've not listened to this one yet, but heard it was one of the band's best. I do recall the video for "Mindphaser".

c-eling likes this.
  8. c-eling

The old CD is excellent sounding and can be had for cheap. Greg mastered that one as well. My intentions for grabbing this new one isn't audio related :)

9. sinistrail sentinel

[​IMG]

Nearly 20 years after its release I finally dug into Pulse by Front 242. It should be noted that I am listening to the Alfa Matrix release that bundles this with the similar Still and Raw EP as a second disc. This version of Pulse is roughly 75 minutes long with 11 tracks. My understanding is that when originally released many tracks were divided into chapters, thus creating 20 tracks. Other than that distinction I do believe this is the same music.

As for the album? My feeling are a bit mixed.

The good part about it is the new sound design they are exploring on this album. Whereas the previous two Evil albums felt dense, Pulse goes for a more sparse, "dry" approach. It all sounds more raw and primitive (in a good way) with fewer effects seemed to be applied (I guess). There seems to be a reluctance of big snares, but when they do appear they really hit hard.

The bad part is that the vocals and melodies (or lack thereof) really lets the album down. Where are the big choruses from 242's best work? I had a difficult time finding any song with a memorable vocal hook and Jean-Luc De Meyer sounds mostly disengaged (or plain bored) to be here. Unfortunately, this leaves the instruments to do the heavy lifting.

With that said it shouldn't be a surprise that my favorite tracks tend to be the instrumental ones, with the longest two, the spastic "Seq666" and the hypnotic "Never Lost", being highlights for me. It's an album that probably needs several spins to fully appreciate, yet I can understand some fans might not find it worth the effort.

6.5 out of 10.

If Pulse eventually becomes the band's final album (and 20 years on it might just well be) then at least they went with something different.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    c-eling likes this.
  10. Elon Muskrat

Elon Muskrat The Plural of VInyl is Vinyl

The industrial music tag started when Monte Cazazza suggested to Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle that their music was "industrial" and TG started putting "Industrial Music for Industrial People" on their releases.

I used to be into Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly and those types of bands that were considered "industrial" in the 80s and 90s, but now I prefer the more experimental kind of industrial like TG.

11. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I need to buy this one! Did anyone buy it and verify the pressing and sound quality?

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'll probably stick with my old CD, but yeah the reissue could be a good option for folks that really want the album on LP and want to support the band. What pressing plant is WaxTrax using these days?

nosliw and c-eling like this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

nosliw and c-eling like this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's also possible to like both types of music.

I always considered Ministry (esp. post-Twitch) a rock band with some industrial elements, not pure industrial. SP started off as something like Cabaret Voltaire meets early EBM, but to be fair, they did experiment quite a lot more than most of their contemporaries. FLA was always straight up EBM to me, especially after they got their early experimental phase out of their system.

My favorite "recent-ish" industrial band would be IRM from Sweden.

16. c-eling

It was done via Rhino, not sure who manufactured it- but it's dead silent.

nosliw and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Great album, bad recording. It's too bad they never made a real follow-up.

Scope J likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

nosliw likes this.
  19. c-eling

Dynamics still intact, it's not a brick thrown to wax- manufacturing is A+ on it Nos.
    I'd rec it if one is in a dire need to have the album on LP. However, the old disc still sounds better. Fuller, and the bass is present which this new cut seems to lack.
    Looks like Greg's name was taken off remastering credits, some guy I've never heard of did it. They must of goofed.

nosliw likes this.
  20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

21. c-eling

I see Cleopatra released Revco's Beers, Steers & Queers recently.
    I checked the audio on their bandcamp, some of the tunes sound like they were needledropped, or maybe the DAT's are shot.

sinistrail sentinel likes this.
  22. c-eling

Wax did send me some cool stickers :laugh:
    [​IMG]

23. c-eling

Picked this and the Still EP up on release. Quite an interesting set of audio architecture. :laugh:
    As a band I think the guys were already heavy into various side projects. Sounds more like a Bressanutti/Male or Female solo album.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  24. sinistrail sentinel

I'm also checking out these "side" projects at the moment as well as Pulse. I guess you can tell I'm starved for new Front 242!

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

:laugh:
    Jean-Luc has put his vocals to quite a bit of stuff over the years.
    You might want to check out Birmingham 6's Error of Judgment, 1996 -solid album!
    He also did vocal's for Implant's-The Creature

sinistrail sentinel likes this.