The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Mastering of the cd is excellent imo (Chromatics - Kill for Love). LP sounds also good.

Crazyhorse11 and PennyLanes like this.
  2. PennyLanes

PennyLanes Well-Known Member

Pulled up and started listening to Kill for Love but so far haven't been able to quit hitting replay on "Into the Black". If the rest of the album is half as good as the 1st track, it's going to take me all day to get through it. :cool:

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The rest of the album is better, and it gets better with every play.

PennyLanes likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Better make that "all night";)

PennyLanes likes this.
  5. PennyLanes

PennyLanes Well-Known Member

:oops: Can I blame the great music for making me miss the typographical error (this time)? :doh:
    Thanks, Ralph...you posted just what I needed to read to motivate me to move on to Track 2...now at "Lady" and am absolutely loving the album. Definitely a "must buy" for me. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    ralphb likes this.
  6. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Agreed. The only complaint I have is that it is a long album and can be tough to get through in one session. It has a perfect Fall\Winter feel + a late at night "comedown" affect. The sequencing is great with traditional pop songs and the more ambient, instrumental tracks. Great album.

Also, I strongly recommend getting both After Dark compilations. The first After Dark gets most of the love but I really like the new After Dark 2. "Cherry", "Beautiful Object", "Warm in the Winter" and others are all instant classics.

7. ralphb

I've been listening to After Dark 2 (which they sent me for free after a delay on an order) quite a bit and love everything on it, it's just a very creative, inspired group of people. I'm waiting on my order of After Dark.

8. Neonbeam

Hell yeah, Jewel certainly likes long albums, the Symmetry album clocks in at 2+ hours. Certainly a lot of soundwaves to digest but I love his stuff. Even though it MIGHT be better to concentrate on just one project and really push hard. But on the other hand this "all over the place"-approach is totally charming.

Right now I'm listening to the clear tripple vinyl of "After Dark 2". Another amazing release. Great pressing quality too. Do I need the first part? What holds me back is the fact that I've got some of the songs on other albums already...

9. ralphb

I'm in the same boat, but after hearing that track by Farah on After Dark 2 I just have to hear the others. At those prices I'm more than willing to take a chance.

PennyLanes likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

That's another amazing thing about IDIB, 19€ for a tripple limited edition vinyl album... virtually NOBODY does this. You are right: I should get the first part;)

11. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Big fan of the label. Not a big fan of my pressing of "Night Drive" by the Chromatics. Vinyl is white, so maybe that makes a difference, although I doubt it. There is a digital sheen to the album, which is surprising considering the band uses analog-heavy sounds. Great price, yes, but I'd opt for a CD if they all sound like this.

Glad to hear others think differently; maybe the mastering for this one is just off.

12. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

I have a white vinyl copy of this as well and mine sounds pretty good.

13. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Do you notice any sheen/upper-end frequencies? I can't make it through more than one LP, let alone all three.

14. Crazyhorse11

I'll check again tonight
    I'll check again tonight.

15. Neonbeam

I've got a black copy that sounds great. Like basically all IDIB vinyl I've heard so far!

16. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was listening to this in the car tonight and it struck me how great this would be on an Italians Do It Better comp:

17. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Yes you need the first After Dark comp. even if you have some or most of the songs, 1) it's a great comp and flows well as an album and 2) the CD is dirt cheap ($5) and the vinyl is a great value as well ($15 for 3LPs). Get it while the still have some stock!

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  18. Crazyhorse11

19. Crazyhorse11

Just ordered Symmetry's Messenger LP, the Desire Reissue LP and Glass Candy's Beatbox CD (Sold Out of Vinyl).

20. Neonbeam

Somehow I didn't notice that IDIB have reissued Desire's "II" album on clear vinyl so I was pleasently surprised when I found it while browsing in a record store.

This is another very good album with strong 80's references. Fascinating to think that JJ is a member of all these projects and that they share a sound that is distinctive yet recognizeable.

Can't wait for his next move...

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

(There's an old thread here: The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label* )
    [MODERATOR EDIT: Reopened; merged with new post.]
    Looks like while we continue to wait for Dear Tommy, which is now two years overdue, that IDIB will be dropping some tasty 12"s and a couple of albums to keep us warm; they've added new singles by Twisted Wires, Farah and Nite Jewel, plus new Nite Jewel and Johnny Jewel LPs, and a comp by by Nicholas Winding Refn of sounds that inspired the Neon Demon.

There's also a dollar download of Kill For Love, and a bunch of posters and new tees.

Most of this is an automatic buy for me (maybe not Farah; I see the appeal, it's just not my thing). I'm sure the limited coloured vinyl, analogue recording techniques and retro futurist sounds appeal to many people here, even if they don't yet know it...

Mr. H and ralphb like this.
  22. PretzelLogic

Interesting news on Twitter: Chromatics' long-delayed Dear Tommy album was completed, mixed, mastered and pressed, but Johnny Jewel had a change of heart and destroyed every copy (25K CDs and LPs). It's been re-recorded and is coming soon. See here, on the account of their manager:

Twitter

23. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Curious and curiouser, although that explains the long, long delay of the album. Intriguing stuff. I did enjoy Kill for Love, and love some of the stuff that Johnny has shared as a free download on his Soundcloud in the past few years. Nice to see an artist share his work in this way, and in my case, it's only increased my curiosity and purchases!

Looking forward to the new stuff. And thanks for posting the notice here!

24. PretzelLogic

There's two new LPs up now - the LP soundtrack to Home on pink vinyl, and a compilation soundtrack of previously-released Italians stuff called A Beautiful Now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. markmorb

markmorb Forum Resident

I'm sure I read somewhere that this label and it's artists are involved in the soundtrack to the new upcoming series of Twin Peaks! Anyone have more info on that?