The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Ruth Radelet (Chromatics' singer) is listed as a cast member, and there is some involvement from other Italians, but it isn't specified what. The score is being done by Angelo Badalamenti as before, so my guess is that Chromatics will be the new series' equivalent of Julee Cruise and appear as a musical act. Just a guess though.

markmorb likes this.
  2. markmorb

markmorb Forum Resident

I can see that being a likely scenario as Julee Cruise has said she's had no involvement with the new soundtrack...intrigued to hear what the Chromatics and Angelo Badalamenti could sound like together...yet another reason to look forward to the new series....

3. PretzelLogic

Johnny Jewel has a new album out next week called Windswept, which is 'featuring music from the new series of Twin Peaks'

Tracklist:

Television Snow (1:23)
    Windswept (3:33)
    Saturday (3:19)
    Missing Pages (2:51)
    The Crimson Kiss (2:55)
    Strobe Lights (2:01)
    Heaven (2:03)
    Slow Dreams (3:11)
    Insomnia (1:29)
    Motel (3:11)
    Between Worlds (1:37)
    The Flame (3:19)
    Stardust (3:13)
    Blue Moon (4:09)

Download-only at the minute (vinyl usually follows), and only a dollar.

JOHNNY JEWEL "Windswept" 320 MP3 Download

RevUp64 and Grow Fins like this.
  4. PretzelLogic

As predicted (spoiler for the benefit of fans of a certain David Lynch/Mark Frost TV show):

Chromatics turned up as a performing band in the first episode of the new Twin Peaks

They've also got some new stuff up at their shop, including reissues of some old stuff with new artwork, and a new 12" of 'Lady', with a 15 minute edit of 'Looking For Love' on the B-side.

Interesting that Johnny is using Bernie Grundman exclusively to master and cut his vinyl now.

CHROMATICS "Lady" 12"

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  5. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Thanks for the headsup! Still have to pick up Windswept, but at $1, there's really no reason not to. And it is great to hear that Johnny is relying on someone of Bernie Grundman's stature for the vinyl releases - that hopefully promises great things.

6. Grow Fins

Edit: picked it up just now :) What a great tip to check out their website. So much great music for very decent prices. Just imagine - I've downloaded quite a bit of the Chromatics stuff from elsewhere in what turns out to be lower quality, for quite a lot more...

Also, what a triumph this is for free sharing of music. Johnny put a load of tracks for free download on his Soundcloud a while back, and even though I'd listened to the Kill for Love album upon release, it was the free downloads that got me delving deeper into his music. It's ended up with me spending actual money on his releases now - and possibly on some of those tasty LPs as well in the future. Well done that man.

PretzelLogic likes this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Big IDIB fan, went to see a night they put in a a club in London many years years ago, Glass Candy, Desire and I think Twisted Wires played. Got to meet the lead singer of Glass Candy afterwards and we talked for about 15 minutes. Glass Candy is actually my favourite act just above Chromatics, and Desire are awesome too. I have most of their vinyl releases, they're always reasonably priced and sound great.

Just finished the new first two-part episode of Twin Peaks and Chromatics play the entire version of Shadow in a bar scene.

PretzelLogic and Grow Fins like this.
  8. Grow Fins

It surprised me to see how much stuff they have available. Most of those limited LPs look absolutely mouthwatering, very reasonably priced, and from your comments, sound great to boot. That's great to see, and what a triumph when other labels can seem so eager to charge a premium for anything that's left of the middle. I may well be picking up a few of those.

I like Glass Candy as well - B/E/A/T/B/O/X is one of the albums that I downloaded just now, after loving the free tracks of theirs that were offered on Johnny's Soundcloud.

Interestingly, Glass Candy and Chromatics are one of the few acts to get my (5 y.o.) daughter interested. That 80s synth sound is something that apparently provides an aural link to the cheap generic stuff that they play her in school. Here's to hoping it's the start to an inquisitive musical mind :)

RevUp64 and PretzelLogic like this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

BEATBOX (too lazy to punctuate) is a great album! The sequel, Body Work, has been in progress longer than Dear Tommy (in fact it was started before Kill For Love!)

Maurice and Grow Fins like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

And we won't even discuss the debut album by Farah.
    The 2 After Dark comps and the Solid Gold comp are well worth owning

Porkpie likes this.
  11. PretzelLogic

Aside from the spat with former label artist/co-owner Mike Simonetti, the dude that manages the IDIB stable (Alexis Rivera/ Echo Park Records) seems to be an on-the-level DIY-scene guy, and that's probably a great boon for keeping Johnny Jewel from whatever level of selling out they might otherwise try to do.

I'm yet to come across any other label that sends four otherwise-unavailable 12" singles to their fans as a surprise gift with a handwritten dedication. I think that snared me as a lifelong supporter.

12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Interesting fact, when I met Ida No (Glass Candy vocalist) I was asking her inspiration and suggesting they were influenced by Debbie Harry vocally but in fact she is a massive fan of Olivia Newton-John from when she went pop (around 77/78) and we wound up discussing the Totally Hot music video and how cool the 70s aesthetic in it was and how much she liked that.

Desire are also a great band and their track Under Your Spell is among the best things that IDIB have put out. So basically, they are an awesome label (I also got a few freebies from them, including the Solid Gold CD, and I'm in the UK so was happy with that). Just wish JJ would put out Body Work!!

Grow Fins and PretzelLogic like this.
  13. PretzelLogic

Despite having fingers in many musical pies, the amount of stuff credited solely to Johnny Jewel has been quite scarce until recently. He's repressed his first LP, The Other Side Of Midnight, a long piece split over two sides of vinyl, and I'd recommend it- it's sinister ambient stuff, and a good soundtrack to insomnia. It always sells out quite quickly, so act quickly!

JOHNNY JEWEL "The Other Side Of Midnight" LP On Silver Dipped In Clear

14. Grow Fins

Some great suggestions there guys - you are tempting me! There's a few LPs in my cart already, but postage is keeping me from pulling the trigger so far (unfortunately more expensive than the records themselves)...

Then again, I like tracks like Ceremony and Under Your Spell so much that it's hard to resist them. In fact, there's so much on offer that it's quite hard to choose!

Listened to a bit of Windswept in the car today and liked what I heard :)

15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'm in the UK and bought a bulk lot of vinyl from them. I contacted them regarding the matter of declared value of the records for customs on the packagin (as it has tax implications depending on whether the threshold is breached). I'll just say they offer great customer service and I was happy with what I spent on postage and vinyl and very pleased with the pressings themselves.

Something else that's worth noting is that on a lot of their tracks they have static on the recordings already (check the CDs), I guess for authenticity of sounding like an old disco record so in fact if there is any surface noise or static you don't really notice it as it's part ofcthe package.

Also, shop around. About 3 weeks ago I picked up the latest 3 x Chromatics 12" singles (Girls, Shadow & Just Like You) new & sealed from a local store for £7 each. Check your independents.

Grow Fins likes this.
  16. PretzelLogic

Luckily I have a fence in the US who I see fairly regularly, so am able to avoid the postage costs for the most part- it's truly preventing me from picking up the Lost River box, as it's $64 in postage alone!

17. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I bought that for an overseas vinyl buddy who lives in a nation bereft of PayPal and, hoo boy, was it a rich expenditure! A little over $70US in shipping alone.

18. Grow Fins

Listened to Windswept on the drive to work today, and there's some great cuts on it. I hope a physical release is on the horizon, as that might help to soften the blow of the transatlantic postage cost of the items that I had been eying already...

19. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Excellent recommendation. Cheers.

20. ralphb

"Cruise Control" CD A Summer Sampler
    $3.00

Johnny Jewel's Summer Mix Of The New 12 Inches, Excerpts From LPs, & Archival Reissues

20 Traxxx...79 Minutes...11 Artists...9 Cities
    This Summer Is Gonna Be Sick...

Nite Jewel "Real High" (3:57)
    Tess Roby "Ballad 5" (3:37)
    Heaven "It's Not Enough" (2:15)
    Twisted Wires "Struck Twice" (4:20)
    Chromatics "Magazine" (Club Mix) (3:13)
    In Mirrors "Take Your Movement Away" (2:22)
    Farah "Baby Girl" (3:17)
    Nite Jewel "Obsession" (4:11)
    Johnny Jewel "Ghost Diving" (1:40)
    Heaven "Lonesome Town" (3:11)
    Glass Candy "I Always Say Yes" (7:37)
    Twisted Wires "0000" (4:20)
    Farah "Shadow Of A Doubt" (3:25)
    Nite Jewel "How It Was" (4:15)
    Heaven "Lock & Key" (3:37)
    Andrew Douglas Rothbard "Worshipping The Myth Of Betrayed Talent" (4:07)
    In Mirrors "Escape From Berlin" (4:17)
    Farah "Gay Boy" (5:14)
    Mirage "Lady Operator" (5:25)
    Tess Roby "Glimpse" (4:15)

This is out today, another very cool sampler/comp from the label and a steal at 3 bucks.

Grow Fins and Maurice like this.
  21. PretzelLogic

There's also a new 12" from new signing Tess Roby, which mentions Steve Reich, Durutti Column and Stereolab, so is pushing all my buttons. From experience, chances are that you'll get a CD of Cruise Control with any new order right now…

22. ralphb

No doubt, but I saw the song listing and couldn't resist. I'll probably find a poster and a flexi disc in the package. :)

23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Just hit the buy button on this one. I've yet to be disappointed by anything this label puts out and their habit of including free gifts with orders is a welcome breath of fresh air!

24. ralphb

Plus that "Gay Boy" single by Farah has been out of print and only available as an MP3 for quite a while.
    Any of you pop for the Lost River 3 lp set?

25. ralphb

IN MIRRORS "Escape From Berlin" CD
    $3.00

Mixed & Produced By Johnny Jewel
    Mastered By Mike Bozzi At Bernie Grundman Mastering

Escape From Berlin (4:20)
    I Saw Her Face In The Glass (2:18)
    Take Your Movement Away (2:20)
    Choose A Side (4:45)
    Rico (3:51)
    Take Your Movement Away (On Film) (2:19)
    The Advocate (14:15)

Total Running Time (35:07)

Coming Soon

This is up on Spotify, anyone who likes Chromatics will surely appreciate this.

Porkpie likes this.