The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Some of you guys might like the album by Pale Blue called The Past We Leave Behind. It's an electronic album produced by Mike Simonetti and is similar to some of the music that has been released on Italians Do It Better.

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

As I was hoping, my order of Cruise Control was shipped with a free gift, a CD of the altogether excellent label compilation / soundtrack to the movie "A Beautiful Now" along with a couple of stickers. I hadn't been aware of "A Beautiful Now" at all and when I went to look it up on the IDIB online store, I noticed they have just released CD editions of "Escape From Berlin", as well as 2 other Johnny Jewel/IDIB soundtracks: "Home", and possibly most significantly, "Windswept" a collection of his music for the new episodes of Twin Peaks. The CDs are $3 each - another great value! Order placed!! Italians Do It Better is quickly jumping to the top of my list of favorite record labels.

Grow Fins and ralphb like this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I got the same thing. Can't wait to see what they send me along with the In Mirrors cd.
    By the way, The Chromatics CDs are also 3 bucks each right now.

4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

They seem to be pushing the CDs over the vinyl right now. But I got another set of Cruise Control/ Beautiful Now CDs with the Tess Roby 12" I ordered, so I can spread the word to the unconverted! Have already hung the Twin Peaks poster (with the destroyed copies of Dear Tommy) in the music room. Looks super-cool.

The Tess Roby 12" is superb, BTW.

5. ralphb

Check out the In Mirrors cd, it's on Spotify if you have it. Limited to 1000 copies.

6. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Thanks for the heads-up @Maurice! Some great stuff in there, and great to hear that their service is exemplary as usual. Listened to the In Mirrors release just now and it's already piqued my interest.

I bought the download of Windswept but would be interested in a tasty vinyl release - hopefully that'll be up somewhere soon!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  7. PretzelLogic

Cheers - I'm not on Spotify anymore, but will find an outlet for this. Meanwhile, $3.00 for the double Symmetry CD, which is what led me into the world of Italians is too good a bargain to pass up...

SYMMETRY "Themes For An Imaginary Film" Two Compact Disc Set

Maurice and ralphb like this.
  8. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

What a great record, eh? I have the 3xLP and it's fantastic.

9. PretzelLogic

ralphb and Grow Fins like this.
  10. PretzelLogic

Crikey, I've downloaded the in Mirrors album for $1.00.

Two songs in and I'm hooked. This is wonderful.

ralphb, Grow Fins and Maurice like this.
  11. ralphb

I was going to stick with the $3.00 cd, but I just might pop for the vinyl before it vanishes.
    The following might be an enticement for forum members:

Mastered By Mike Bozzi At Bernie Grundman Mastering
    Vinyl Cut By Bernie Grundman In Hollywood

Grow Fins likes this.
  12. Grow Fins

I listened to it a while ago and loved it also - your post inspired me to get the download. At $1 it'd be a crime not to.

Physical releases are certainly on my radar, but there's quite a bit that I've downloaded from them now, and I want to let everything sink in a bit before I decide what to spring for. Not easy as the LPs look to be executed very well indeed...

ralphb likes this.
  13. Mateo Sanboval

Do any of you big-time-in-the-know knowing types know anything about Windswept being issued vinyl?

14. Grow Fins

I am pretty sure that that will happen at some point or another. I am waiting for it myself as well - there's several releases that I have my eye on, and getting them in one go would help greatly with the postage cost.

I was listening to In Mirrors again this morning and wow, I love it! Listening to Home now. I really, really like this cheap download policy, which is providing me with great music for my drive to work, and which eventually is likely to see me purchase far more in terms of physical versions of these releases than I otherwise might have had.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  15. Mateo Sanboval

A little bird told me the other day that a Windswept LP is indeed in the pipeline. Great news.

Grow Fins likes this.
  16. Grow Fins

That is great news indeed. Did your little bird mention something along the lines of a release date? I'd like to include the album in an order that I am planning, but I have difficulty with delayed gratification :laugh:

17. Mateo Sanboval

I've no idea, sadly. I only know low level little birds.

Grow Fins likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

I caved and went for the In Mirrors LP and new Johnny Jewel comp LP. There's a deluxe double-album-length CD of Cherry that's on the site, along with some clearance items right now. They're still absolutely hammering on the postage front, but I guess the more you buy, the cheaper it is.

And I don't know what it is about Farah, but I'm finding her irritating and beguiling in equal measures. Her cover of 'Shadow Of A Doubt' on Cruise Control is hypnotic, but even after all these years, I can't decide if 'Gay Boy' is (for want of a better word) straight, or if it's a very elaborate bit. It definitely sticks in the brain.

Maurice, Grow Fins and Porkpie like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Postage is a killer with those guys - the other year my wife bought me Beatbox, Kill For Love & After Dark II on vinyl and it cost her a bomb. The Cherry deluxe album looks good. I've got most of the tracks spread across vinyl, CD & downloads but would be good to have it all in one collection. If this gets a vinyl release I'm in.

Grow Fins likes this.
  20. Grow Fins

Well, still no Windswept LP, but seeing some of the other releases go out of stock made me hurry up with my first order. Got the Cherry and the In Mirrors LPs - very much looking forward to either of them. I've left the Drive 12" to combine with Windswept when it is released later this summer (it is currently in production according to Ruth, who does the Italians' Discogs venture, and who may well be miss Radelet herself?)

One tip that may be useful to you guys: apparently the final few of any LP or CD are sold via Discogs rather than the Italians' webstore. The Cherry LP, for example, is indicated as sold out on the webstore, yet a final few are still available on Discogs, via the Italians Do It Better account there. Hope this is useful for some of you.

Now roll on Windswept!

Porkpie likes this.
  21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I just received my order of the deluxe Cherry, along with the Music to Drive compilation and the Twisted Wires EP. True to form, they included a free bonus, this time a CD of the Los Angeles EP by Pink Gloves (curiously not available on their webstore.)

Grow Fins likes this.
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I ordered the same 3 and got that freebie as well...I love the little bonuses they always give.

23. Grow Fins

Well, my order turned up today, and wow - it's everything you said! I would have been more than satisfied to just have my records turn up on time and well packaged (they were), but they were accompanied by two freebie CDs (Music to Drive compilation and Twisted Wires), and no less than three prints/posters. Postage may feel expensive but this makes it all seem totally justified. And then there's still to come the treat of immersing myself in the sonic qualities of these fine releases...

Great stuff. They'll make a repeat customer out of me! And to think that this all started with Johnny's free downloads on Soundcloud...

Maurice and noname74 like this.
  24. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Thanks for turning me on to this label. Ordered Kill for Love, Music to Drive, and After Dark 2. Great vibe and mastered at Bernie Grudman's

Grow Fins likes this.
  25. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Just got CDs of Cherry Deluxe, Windswept, Music To Drive, and a free CD by Pink Gloves (and a sticker). Johnny Jewel is a genius, btw.
    The packaging also had this sticker of Chromatics' Ruth Radelet on it!

[​IMG]

Grow Fins likes this.