The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Wow, this latest version of Chromatics' Blue Moon from Windswept is well worth the $3 price of admission-

MondoFanM and Grow Fins like this.
  2. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Just received Chromatics Kill for Love, After Dark 2, Music to Drive, and they included as bonus Twisted Wires cd and a couple of posters.
    I want to thank you guys for turning me on to this label. So much fun to discover good, new music, in these times of $#% "product". Really enjoying it. The vinyl offers excellent sound quality. What's not to like?
    Open to additional suggestions in their catalog.

PretzelLogic, Grow Fins and Porkpie like this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'd say you need to get the first After Dark album, BEATBOX by Glass Candy (who I prefer to the Chromatics actually) and Desire II.

Grow Fins likes this.
  4. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

I can also recommend the Cherry 12" and In Mirrors' Escape From Berlin. The latter is darker and less sparkly than say, Glass Candy, so you may want to listen first - they have it as a $1 download, and it also streams on spotify.

As you can see, there's so much to like from this addictive label!

Porkpie likes this.
  5. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

I'll second the Glass Candy - Beatbox and Desire - II recommendations and add the following must haves:

Chromatics / Night Drive - this was the Chromatics' first album on the IDIB label and is pretty much essential in my view.

Chromatics / Drumless - essentially a beatless selection of tracks from the Kill For Love album. A great interpretation of the tracks selected and showcases Ruth Radelet's voice really well.

Symmetry / Themes For An Imaginary Film - a Johnny Jewel and Nat Walker project. A more soundtrack, ambient, instrumentally focussed album but holds its own with the best of the IDIB releases.

Symmetry / The Messenger - 2nd album from this project. And just as great as their first effort.

Grow Fins likes this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Windswept vinyl is now up, with a release date of 22nd September.

Grow Fins and Porkpie like this.
  7. lonelysea

For me it's all about Chromatics. Their covers are almost always incredible. Seek out 2010's In The City ep, for this version of Springsteen's I'm On Fire, if nothing else.

8. Grow Fins

Agreed, they are great with their covers/reimaginings of songs. This is one that I really like:

Really looking forward to the release of Windswept. You just know it will look and sound great with these guys...

Echo and lonelysea like this.
  9. PretzelLogic

There's a good recent interview with Johnny floating around (his first in-depth one for ages) relating to Twin Peaks, but he confirms Dear Tommy is coming soon; he just wants to make sure it's available on all formats at the same time.

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Hmmm....he said the same thing about 12 months ago and 12 months before that. When I saw Glass Candy live in Jan 2010, Ida No told me that the next album (Body Work) was going to be out relatively soon...

It's really frustrating waiting for an IDIB release but at least you know when it arrives it will be a class release with fantastic sound and visuals. It's like waiting for a Kate Bush album.

OnlySleeping23 and Grow Fins like this.
  11. Grow Fins

Just dropping this one in here too, as we're talking IDB covers. Compared with the clinical original, they've managed to make this feel so very warm and seductive :love:

Maurice and Porkpie like this.
  12. OnlySleeping23

OnlySleeping23 Forum Resident

Just wanted to update this thread by saying I finally ordered In Mirror's Escape from Berlin on vinyl, and it appears IDIB have begun using Pallas in Germany. At least maybe for the stuff Bernie G has been cutting. They previously had been using GZ.

Their stuff has always sounded great to me, but this is truly a notch above. Can't wait even more now for Windswept to drop this Friday.

Grow Fins likes this.
  13. Grow Fins

Recently purchased that album as well, and it's excellent. Like you, I'm really looking forward to Windswept - they've added some pics of the actual release and the artwork and vinyl looks great.

Friday's marked in red in my agenda!

OnlySleeping23 likes this.
  14. Grow Fins

Windswept is out today everyone, and my copy is on order :)

15. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

wow sold out already.

16. PretzelLogic

17. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

Grow Fins likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

A lot of the stuff I've had has been from Pirates Press - when did they switch to GZ or Pallas?

Haven't had any complaints about any of their pressings TBH- the whole endeavour has been one great slab of wax after another.

19. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Glad I saw this. bought the download previously... they even sent me a free package of records over the summer. Great company.

Grow Fins likes this.
  20. Grow Fins

I did the same! Just highlights the wonderfully leftfield way that they run their label. You can't turn down the $1 downloads, when sampling the music it blows you away, and before you know it you're ordering the LPs... and those, combined with the freebies, keep you coming back for more.

Did you guys manage to get a copy? I'd be surprised if everything sold out immediately, but you never know. One good tip is to also check out their Discogs page - sometimes items that are listed as sold out on the Bigcartel page are still available in limited quantities over there. Good hunting!

MondoFanM likes this.
  21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Looks like they're distributing a colored vinyl version of the new Zola Jesus album, which I just might have to order.

22. Grow Fins

Saw that too - lovely looking record that. Most of the IDB releases that I have purchased of late have been either clear or solid red, which are nice, but I would welcome a different shade. Hopefully we'll see some similar effects to that in the Zola vinyl on future IDB releases!

ralphb likes this.
  23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It's also an excellent album.:)

24. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I loved that Twisted Wires CD a lot more than I thought I would. A good $3 investment.

Grow Fins likes this.
  25. lonelysea

Any reviews of the vinyl Windswept? I've had the CD for a while now and I can't believe how good it sounds.