The "Italians Do It Better" Record Label*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

2. PretzelLogic

[​IMG]

Absolutely love this photo of Johnny and Ruth in the RR Diner.

3. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

It only dropped a few days ago.

4. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Well, it definitely is now. Took a little bit longer than we dreaded at first, but they certainly have not hung about.

Apparently IDB was expecting this as well, as the second pressing is already on offer in the webshop - a milk (white) vinyl version.

5. OnlySleeping23

OnlySleeping23 Forum Resident

Got my copy of Windswept on vinyl. Sounds fantastic. They included some nice freebies, as always. One of which was the Johnny Jewel’s Double Exposure. 12” 45rpm, also cut by Bernie Grundman, and pressed at Pallas.

Grow Fins, Crazyhorse11 and MondoFanM like this.
  6. Grow Fins

Wow, what a generous gift! That makes me hope for the same - although I imagine international postage cost may discriminate against that option. Still, I've been greatly enjoying their freebie CDs as well. Absolutely fantastic service from these guys and gals.

Crazyhorse11 and OnlySleeping23 like this.
  7. PretzelLogic

Fear not, I got exactly the same extra for my Windswept, so you should too (although alas I already have Double Exposure on LP). They also threw in two CDs (Windswept and Lost River) and four posters. I guess they have a capped postage cost by weight, so just throw in as much as they can up to the limit. And it was only one week from order to arrival from LA to London, so they an extra gold star.

The gatefold inner for the LP is...NSFW as they say. I wonder who that is...

As for the LP itself, it's a beautiful pressing. Absolutely nothing to complain about in the slightest.

Grow Fins and OnlySleeping23 like this.
  8. OnlySleeping23

OnlySleeping23 Forum Resident

I already had Double Exposure as well. FWIW, the free one I received is an opaque clear variant, as opposed to the cherry red I bought.

Grow Fins likes this.
  9. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Got the freebie Lost River and Windswept CDs with my order. So nice.

Grow Fins likes this.
  10. Grow Fins

Milk white version of Windswept is now also sold out. Twisted Wires is also down to the last few copies. They are not doing things badly, are they?

My (red) copy of Windswept should be here tomorrow - very much looking forward to inspecting it!

11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

My package arrived from Italians Do it Better on Monday. Along with my Red copy of Windswept were also 4 free posters, free CD copies of Windswept and Lost River and a free clear vinyl version of Johnny Jewel's 'Double Exposure'. Wow. Now that's what I call service. I couldn't believe it.

12. Grow Fins

Mine arrived too and the contents were the same (with the addition of the Drive 12", which I'd ordered as well). Already thought that the parcel seemed rather thicker than before! I couldn't be happier, really. The items that I ordered look fantastic, and these freebies are just exceptionally generous. Even my wife, who is no fan of their music at all, wanted to help unpack - just such a nice experience with these guys. The product in itself would be good enough to make me order again, but with this treatment, repeat purchases are just an absolute certainty :cool:

OnlySleeping23, Crazyhorse11 and JMAC like this.
  13. PretzelLogic

Crikey, Italians have reissued some Troubleman-era singles, including Glass Candy’s ‘I Always Say Yes’ (purple vinyl) and ‘Nite’ by Chromatics (green vinyl). Both have some unreleased stuff added.

I’ve got an OG pressing of ‘Nite’ and it’s definitely proto-Chromatics. The singer isn’t Ruth (had to look her up- Lena Okazaki- don’t think she was in the band for long), but the vibe is much closer to the synth stuff than their early no-wave band sound.

Home

Grow Fins likes this.
  14. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

I'm guessing 'Iko' will be reissued soon as well, given the remastered download available. I hope this bodes well for a release of 'Deep Gems' on vinyl (and even 'Body Work'... dare to dream!). Loving all these remastered CDs as well.

Grow Fins and Porkpie like this.
  15. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Just made my first cd purchases: After Dark, Cherry, and Themes for an Imaginary Movie. Somewhat blind buys. I was searching for Joy Division's Ceremony and much to my surprise Cherry came up. I have two Glass Candy releases so I sort of know what to expect (I think).

Grow Fins and ZenMango like this.
  16. Grow Fins

For your information: the IDB webstore has been updated with a host of new items, mostly re-releases of old Chromatics and Glass Candy on pretty vinyl colors. Apparently there's also been yet another pressing of Windswept, this time on pink transparent vinyl, which has sold out almost as quickly as the initial batch.

Always worth checking out these guys. Looking forward to more!

Porkpie likes this.
  17. PretzelLogic

The early Glass Candy Stuff is a riot; far more abrasive and less electronic than the band we know and love*. I got an original Troubleman press of Love Love Love and it’s a fun listen, but will probably pick up I Always Say Yes just for completeness’ sake.

*the same can be said for early Chromatics but apart from Adam Miller, that really was a literally different band - a queercore lo-fi Portland punk group, to be exact.

Grow Fins and Dave 81828384 like this.
  18. Grow Fins

A number of cheap downloads for the EPs/7"s/12"s, especially the early stuff, have been added to the IDB webstore. Wonderful opportunity to splurge on their materaial and nevertheless find yourself paying less than a measly $10...

From personal experience, however, I know where this is bound to end up. I listen to it in the car, end up liking it, and somehow end up with even more records in the mail :shh:

19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

At least they’re one of the cheapest labels to get into. :righton:

Grow Fins likes this.
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Unless you live in Europe and then the postage can break you!

Grow Fins likes this.
  21. Londonmay1

Londonmay1 Active Member

I've dropped more money on Italians Do It Better records and cd's this year then I care to admit. But I love supporting a label that make it fun to collect physical media again. I know JJ could have cashed out and sold the label a long time ago. I respect that he hasn't done that. If you haven't heard it before, the Chromatics cover of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is NAILS!

Grow Fins likes this.
  22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I’m fully immersed in this stuff currently. Only got into it via Twin Peaks but everything on the label is so consistent and quality with a great overall aesthetic.

Grow Fins likes this.
  23. Grow Fins

Londonmay1 and PretzelLogic like this.
  24. Wild Frank

Love the title track. A real Bladerunner feel to it. I have the Chomatics ‘Nite’ reissue arrIving today.

Grow Fins likes this.
  25. Wild Frank

Lots of vinyl back on the IDIB website. I picked up the Heaven ‘Lonesome Town’ and Chromatics ‘Running From The Sun’.

Grow Fins likes this.