The Jack Ryan thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jacob29, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thoughts on Amazon making the television show after Clancy's novels.

melstapler likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They have been showing a lot commercials for it while watching the US Open.

Starts Friday.

I'm in.

Loved the books and movies.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm in too, though I admit I'd prefer a series based on the later books where Ryan is actually President. Jack's younger CIA days have been well covered already. That said, I'd love to see a movie or TV show based solely around the exploits of John Clark as well. Clark's always been my favourite character in the Clancy novels.

MerseyBeatle and chrischerm like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Anybody watching this? It started strong, but I’m starting to see problems several episodes in...

And the love interest for Jack is pretty bad. There is zero chemistry onscreen there; it’s sort of funny how awkward it is. Maybe she’s the daughter of an Amazon exec? :winkgrin:

ex_mixer likes this.
  5. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I completely agree very poor casting for Cathy Ryan.

6. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

In the final episode, Timothy Hutton says that if he keeps up the good work, Jack Ryan will be on the 7th floor before he's 40. John Krasinski, is 38 in real life, so I guess that Jack Ryan is slightly younger in the show. Yet, he has a doctorate in Economics, was in the military, spent who knows how long in rehab after the helicopter crash, worked on Wall Street and at the beginning of the series had spent 4 years working for the CIA. And he still finds time to row.

Either they should have made him older or knocked a few items off of his resume.

Chad

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've only watched one episode, but I enjoyed it. Well very acted and written.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Up to episode 4 so far. I'm enjoying it but agree that the love interest is miscast. I pretty much love Wendell Pierce in anything.

mrjinks likes this.
  9. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Binged the entire 8 episodes this weekend. I really enjoyed it. Very well written and acted.

melstapler and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  10. Bad Samaritan

Done. I liked this quite a bit, although it was a bit far-fetched. I would have never thought of Jim from the Office being some kind of action hero, but I thought Krasinski was pretty good in 13 Hours and in this role as well.

Morpheus and melstapler like this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I have to say, the “villain” in this series was given one of the more complex backgrounds/portrayals of any tv show/movie in recent memory. Excellent work on that. I still maintain the love interest was laughably miscast, and there were a few missteps here and there, but overall that was a fun series to binge.

BZync and tommy-thewho like this.
  12. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I’m four episodes in... it’s okay... but so far I think Dwight would’ve made a better CIA agent than Jim.

Dwight wouldn’t quit chasing a wounded suspect who is only 15 feet away.

And Dwight wouldn’t let a suspect get up and walk around after beating him into submission — Dwight would frisk & restrain him for further questioning.

Just little things like that...

But overall it’s okay... I’m gonna keep watching for now.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

After years of humming and hawing over joining Amazon Prime I finally bit the bullet and joined mainly just so I can see this show.

14. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Excellent series. Binge watched with the wife this weekend. We both loved it. I'll agree that the love interest seems a bit miscast, but Jack Ryan is dead-on, ...closer to Tom Clancy's vision of the character from his early books (e.g., younger, like the Alec Baldwin Jack Ryan character in Hunt For Red October than the much older Harrison Ford character in later features).

:cheers:
    Cat

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I've been thinking Krasinski is miscast here, unless they are trying to make Ryan into a more light, funny character. Maybe he is too typecast in my mind, and after reading reviews I think I will at least give it a chance.

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There was no way wasn’t going to check this out considering Amazon Video has been advertising it for 2 years lol. 2 episodes in. It’s a winner so far. I really Wendell Pierce who Bunk on The Wire.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Terrific series

18. He was a child prodigy

He’s not funny in this

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Enjoyed it but felt the last 4 eps were slower than the 1st. And have to agree on the casting of the girlfriend, big mistake. Was on the fence about watching this until I heard Wendell Pierce was in it! No doubt the strongest actor in the show.

Brenald79 likes this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

About 1/2 way thru.

Loved the first episode.

Greer seems to be stealing the show.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Looming Tower on Amazon was also good.

22. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I'm 3 episodes into it and having read most of the books I've got a problem with Admiral Greers character, he too young, his antagonistic relationship with Jack never existed in the books and He wasn't a muslim convert.

Morpheus and MerseyBeatle like this.
  23. Bad Samaritan

What was the deal with the drone pilot story line? It was so unrelated to the main plot, or I missed the point altogether.

mrjinks, mace and Jacob29 like this.
  24. mace

mace Forum Resident

Yep, definitely a head scratcher.

mrjinks likes this.
  25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Yeah....you definitely can’t be a staunch adherent to Clancy’s novels and easily digest the series. Greer is character in name only, basically. I’d like to hear what Clancy would have thought of the liberties taken with his characters for the show.