The Jack Ryan thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jacob29, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Clancy probably would have thought the same as the liberties they took with his film adaptions, like you said: "It's my story in name only". He still cashed the cheques though, I'd imagine...

James Earl Jones played a great Jim Greer in the movies, but to be fair in the books Greer was some old white dude from Maine, so there's always been liberties taken.

Anyway, I plan on binging this Jack Ryan show this weekend.

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I did enjoy the series binged it all this past weekend. All things considered, Wendell Pierce is a definite asset for the series. Loved him in THE WIRE and TREME.

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I am going through these episodes a bit slower than usual but they are very enjoyable. Good suspense and pacing. Each episode leaves you wanting more.

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Good show. Nothing mindblowing, or anything, but taken as a whole the show basically plays like a Clancy novel. Season 2 -if there is one- should be interesting. The story seemed a little bit predictable at times, but that's Hollywood for ya.

A couple other observations:
    I thought adding the Ebola attack story from Executive Orders and how the bad guys carry illicit materials inside of corpses like in Without Remorse were nice touches, homages if you like
    The subplot involving the drone bomber seemed a bit extraneous, but Clancy had tons of those extraneous sort of plotlines in the books, so it kind of fits

5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

A fine series! The drone bomber sideline was a bit unnecessary, I think, but the rest was nicely paced, nice mix between action and character development.

jbmcb and ohnothimagen like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

ohnothimagen likes this.
  7. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

5 episodes in; my wife and I are loving this show. Season 2 seems so far away!

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Oh, god, I’ve been convinced to watch this.

I’ll get back to youse guyze.

Madness likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

.... and I’m about 6 episodes in and really liking it. My major doubt was Krasinski pulling this role off and he definitely does.

Comments:

Dina Shahibi = yowzer. Did Abbie Cornish forget how to act at some point? Wendell Pierce is great as usual. Glad I took the time to watch this.

jwoverho and Brenald79 like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Renewed for 2 more seasons.

GodShifter and noname74 like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I finished this a couple of nights ago.

End thoughts:

For most shows they run on too long; I thought this one ended too quickly. Things seemed to be wrapped up too quickly with unsatisfactory resolution. I think two more episodes could have stretched out things nicely without making it too ponderous or padded with filler. I’m looking forward to new seasons of this.

12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Anyone know when season 2 is due?

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

More film actors turning to TV.

14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

S2 finally starts Nov1.

I’m sad my dad isn’t alive to see this show because I think this would been his favorite series. He used to read all the Clancy books.

GodShifter and Quadboy like this.
  16. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident Thread Starter

They released season 2 early it's on Netflix now

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Even though it’s an Amazon series?

;)

Jacob29 likes this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 2.

Lot of subtitles.

unclefred likes this.
  19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We watched the first one last night, it looks like a promising season.

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

First episode very good. Minor criticism: Jack Ryan seemed very careless leaving the top secret documents out in the open in his hotel room for the female spy to see.

MerseyBeatle and unclefred like this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I decided to re-watch season 1 - it’s only 8 eps! - and I’m even MORE astounded by what a horrible choice they made for his love interest than I was the first time. She’s a horrible actress, with laughably bad lines! Completely unconvincing as a super-smart Doctor!
    :biglaugh:
    I hope S2 does better on that front!

unclefred likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

She’s not in S2 but after watching Ep2 I’m afraid they made another casting mistake with the sexy German spy.

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'll be watching this soon, as I enjoyed season 1. I'm concerned due to reviews saying he's been 'dumbed down', that Jack Ryan is more of a Jason Bourne-type action hero in this 2nd season. I read 'Hunt For Red October' before the movie was made, I've been a huge fan of Tom Clancy's books and his Jack Ryan series. Although the books never lacked action, Ryan was always a thinking man's superagent, an analyst who always winds up in action-packed scenarios. He wasn't written as Clancy's version of Bourne, Ryan was never a James Bond/Superagent. Of all the Jack Ryan's that have been done so far, I think Harrison Ford's portrayal was the truest to Clancy's vision, and he was the best. From what I'm reading, it's looking like the show is more of the generic, cookie-cutter, action tv spy shows like Strike Back or 24, we'll see.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Not seeing the 24/Strike Back comparison at all. So far it’s a direct continuation of S1. I’m just doing 1 episode a day because it’s only 8 long and too good to binge.

Jacob29 and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've only seen one episode so far and it seems to be as good as season 1. I had completely forgotten about the Abby Cornish character. What happened to her again? Meh, whatever.

I really like the feel of this series and part of that is the music. It's just done really well. Kind of this pulsing, undercurrent to it that keeps things tense and moving.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Brenald79 and unclefred like this.