The Jack Ryan thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jacob29, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I just finished series 3 and the same problems were evident! Great actors with nothing to do! At 45 minutes per episode, it featured some beautiful eye candy but it boiled down to 35 minutes of talk followed by 10 minutes (if that) of gunfights/explosions! Ryan & Greer could've been the men from UNCLE bearing absolutely no resemblance to the original characters. Trust me, read the books and these guys don't come close! Disappointed.

vegafleet and RockNRod like this.
  2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Series 3?

3. I think you mean the second season.

I’ve enjoyed the series. You just have to bear in mind a literary character translated to the big screen varies from their origin because....what works on the page doesn’t always work on the screen.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm glad yr enjoying the series, different strokes for different folks! I watched the whole series, but it was like I kept on waiting for something to happen. And while I understand yr point about the transference of the character from a book to a movie (always seems to be in favor of the book!;)), I feel Wendell & John could do better if they had better material! On Netflix, I just started Zero Zero Zero, seems like a good one!

RockNRod likes this.
  5. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

How can this be an 8.1 on IMDB? It's a total yawn fest. Terrible scripts, well acted, well sort of and good productions. I don't know I guess I just find it boring.

6. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Season 1 was pretty decent. Season two was pretty "meh."

So, the whole devious plot behind the assassination and kidnappings is... the government wants to open a mine? That's it? An insanely complex, multi-national, Rube Goldberg-esqe plot involving assassins, secret satellite launches, political killings... to open a mineral mine?

If the president of that country had *that* much power he could have, just, opened a mine? This is one of the most nonsensical plots I've seen.

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm an avid reader but never got hooked on Tom Clancy. I liked the Harrison Ford movies. Nothing on earlier so I watched episode one of season one. I liked it enough to watch episode two. I never watched The Office and if I would have I'm not sure how I'd feel about John Krasinski playing Ryan. I guess I would, he's a good actor.

8. ssmith3046

I wish I hadn't of read that.

9. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Why? It's ambiguous.

10. ssmith3046

No, because now I know that the station chief in Venezuela is up to no good.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’m 24 minutes into S3 of Amazon’s Jack Ryan, and I’m REALLY hoping there’s some reason they’ve made the US President into a woman with a strong German accent. No problem with a female President whatsoever. But they’re stretching the believability factor to the nth degree by making us think she’d win a general election in this age.
    I just can’t see it.
    Is it just me?

12. Nina Hoss is playing the CZECH President, not POTUS. But her German accent stretches the believability, nonetheless. No way a Czech politician would sound like that. The fake Russian accents in the show are not a lot better.

vegafleet and GentleSenator like this.
  13. Forgot to add: Having the Czech President play such a major role in policy shaping is a wrong depiction, too. That role would fall to the Czech Prime Minister. Maybe it makes things easier to understand for the US audience.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's just you ;). As pointed out she isn't the US president.

15. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

First series great
    Second series not that good
    Third series looking much the same

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Boy, am I dumb.:doh:

I knew I was too tired to start another show last night (didn’t even get thru Ep. 1). I’ll try again today. Thanks for the corrections.

RolandG and Bill Mac like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No worries... it happens to the best of us :).

mrjinks and RolandG like this.
  18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Watched the 2nd episode, could barely stay awake. Funny thing is afterwards I watched an episode of Downton Abbey and my sleep totally left me. I'm gonna give it one more shot but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bail. Was thinking how totally unlike this is from the books; I wonder how much involvement Tom Clancy actually has on the show. Says he's listed as a producer but.....

19. Season 3 is already outdated. Too bad. I’m guessing shooting was started before February and the world learned that the Russian military is a paper tiger and that The Russian “President “ is far more brutal and stupid than his character depiction on this show.

20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I watched and enjoyed the first two seasons but I think I am going to give this a pass. Going by the previews it looks like he’s on the run from his own team as he’s the only one that sees or knows about some plot….this story has been done so many times before in TV, movies and books I don’t think I am interested in watching it again.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  21. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I binged Season 3 last night and loved it.

22. Don’t read too much into it.

The third season of Jack Ryan wasn’t quite as good as the first two. Has some fine moments and echoes Red October with it being set in Russia.

The reveal of the second season was a bit underwhelming but had a nice built up

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  23. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Seems as though we get a different Jack Ryan each season. From reluctant agent to complete bad ass in three seasons. Then try to imagine this Jack Ryan morphing into the character in “Clear and Present Danger”

Very nice production values.

24. It’s the Kelvin Timeline, Pete, where
    Greek police chiefs are bossed around by a Russian thug, that thug then casually gets shot in a conveniently empty Austrian train and a CIA agent has constantly conversations with the president of a European country.

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Finished season 3 episode 4. We both have one word for it BLAND. Don’t know how we survived so far.

vegafleet likes this.