The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Bird: The Complete Charlie Parker on Verve
    10 disc. Verve box, 1988

[​IMG]

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

3. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

4. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

John Coltrane Quartet: The Complete Africa/Brass Sessions

John Coltrane – soprano and tenor saxophone
    Booker Little – trumpet
    Julius Watkins, Bob Northern, Donald Corrado, Robert Swisshelm – french horn
    Bill Barber – tuba
    Pat Patrick – baritone saxophone
    McCoy Tyner – piano
    Reggie Workman – bass
    Elvin Jones – drums

Dics 1 recorded May 23, 1961 add:
    Freddie Hubbard – trumpet
    Julian Priester, Charles Greenlee – euphonium
    Jim Buffington – french horn
    Garvin Bushell – piccolo, woodwinds
    Paul Chambers – bass on "Africa"

Disc 2 recorded June July 4, 1961 add:
    Britt Woodman – trombone
    Carl Bowman – euphonium
    Eric Dolphy – alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute
    Art Davis – bass on "Africa"

All sessions recorded at Rudy's, Coltrane's firt session at the new Endlewood Cliffs studio and first for impulse!. A stunning achievment that deserves to receive the same sort of accolades as Oliver Nelson's "Blues and the Abstract Truth" or any of Miles' collaborations with Gil Evans. Actually, Gil was planned to orchestrate these sessions for large ensemble but the duties fell to McCoy Tyner and.....Eric Dolphy, who also makes his mark on "Blues and...". (Dolphy singularly stood out on these larger ensemble sessions despite his legacy as a small group leader, think Hubbard's "The Body and The Soul" as well.)

These complete sessions are programmed by recording date even though the initial single LP release was culled from the two sessions and only featured three tracks, followed by a second volume relesed posthumously. Rudy got a surprisingly good and coherent sound for such a large grouping in that space. I wonder if this is a Labson? Can;t find any remastering credits anywhere but it actually sounds better than the typical Labson of the day. Of course, while he does get some grief for his impulse! remastering campaign we must remember that Cuscuna was the producer and has ultimate control over what gets released.

Dear Mr. Kassem..................

[​IMG]

And how about some Trane for the Holiday Season? Such wonderful articulation with the Bass on this. Not always the case at The Cliffs:

The origianal Downbeat review of this album awarded it 2 out of 5 stars, Clearly the 'critic' was on crugs. Bad drugs.

5. AxiomAcoustics

Man you gotta. There's some great energetic and ebullient playing to be heard from those 88-89 shows. Kids going for it. Sure, things were not fully sussed and we got shorter versions of some of the soon-to-be epic jams but they were clearly in a "prog rock" head space more than ever and the playing is tight, but wooly. I'd definitely recommend the following, if you can find a clean copy free of that gawdawful goo. And, to keep things "on track" here at the Jazz Beat.....they take on Charlie Parker's "Donna Lee"!

[​IMG]

jay.dee and Erik B. like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

Excellent, glad to make the recommendation. Guy's music is not always an obvious or easy listen but as with Beckett it's worth the time and investment, paying off when it comes together. He's always been heavily influenced by the writer, as well as visual artists of the time. In fact, many UK creative musicians were influenced by his writing. Guy is a wide ranging virtuoso on the bass, a serious and wporld reknowned free improviser, composer of music for everything from large Jazz orchestra to solo Baroque violin and you can fiind him playing the outest of out or, quiet mournfuil John Dowland songs.

jay.dee, Henry Please and Marzz like this.
  7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

that gawdawful goo has ruined many a Live Phish disc

8. AxiomAcoustics

Don;t get me started. I lost a good 35-40 discs to that fiasco. And the fact that the label would do bupkis was pitiful.

Erik B. likes this.
  9. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Kohsuke Mine Quintet - Daguri

[​IMG]

Soulpope, patient_ot and Marzz like this.
  10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Mr. Pitiful

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

where's the unlike button ?

:hurl::hurlleft:

12. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

dug this one out of the archives.
    a surprisingly listenable example of a forerunner to the smooth jazz / funk genre.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Via bandcamp...

Fly or Die is:
    jaimie branch - trumpet
    Tomeka Reid - cello
    Jason Ajemian - bass
    Chad Taylor - drums.

Cameos by:
    Matt Schneider – guitar
    Ben Lamar Gay – cornet
    Josh Berman – cornet

15. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bahraini-British performer, Yazz Ahmed, is transforming what jazz means in 2017. This trumpet and flugelhorn-playing artist has worked with Radiohead and These New Puritans, experiments with electronic effects, and combines sounds from her shared heritage to author a new narrative for the genre. Part of the new wave of artists credited with stirring up the sound, including Kamasi Washington, Yussef Kamaal, Sons of Kemet and The Comet is Coming, Yazz Ahmed is thrilled by the possibilities of making something new. “I feel like I’m a part of modernising jazz and connecting it with audiences today,” Yazz says. “It’s exciting.”...from band camp.

16. AxiomAcoustics

Eh?

17. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Nicole Mitchell's Black Earth Ensemble - Xenogenesis Suite (2008)
    Nicole Mitchell (flute), David Boykin (tenor sax), David Young (trumpet), Tomeka Reid (cello), Justin Dillard (piano), Josh Abrams (bass), Marcus Evans (drums), Avreeayl Ra (percussion), Mankwe Ndosi (vocals).

Firhouse12 Records
    [​IMG]

18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Not sure what is more delicious, this Monk Prestige 10 inch box set or the Stone Brewing enjoy by IPA. Seems like a good night to stay in and hang out with the stereo.

So far the sound seems really good but I will do a comparison with my analog 70's Fantasy twofer of the same material later in the week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Miles - Sorcerer

[​IMG]

20. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Lonnie Smith's Think!

[​IMG]

Terrible selection of images for this one online, so I went with what I thought was best and as you can see it's a bit small. With Lee Morgan, David Newman, Herman Henry & Melvin Sparks, Marion Booker Jr, Norberto Apellaniz & Willie Bivens, and Pucho Brown. Some nice grooves here. I had this cranked in the car yesterday, partly dedicated to all the soul jazz haters out there.

21. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Followed up Lonnie Smith with the Hawk - The Genius of Coleman Hawkins

With OP, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown & Alvin Stoller. Picked this up in the dollar bin, a West German CD issue.

Jackie P, Marzz, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

On Sat. I was groovin' to Turning Point up loud...woo...a real whamma-jamma!

I'm on your radar....Think! will be my next Lonnie Smith purchase... :agree:

Electric and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. Bobby Buckshot

Enjoy! He's a...unique dude - yeah, that's it. I mean he's not really a "Dr." in the traditional sense nor does he give a reason for wearing a Sikh-like turban and bio details are scant - but he makes some good music.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  24. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Getting in the Christmas spirit with this great collection from a few years back..cool songs for the holidays with some outstanding musicians

25. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Eric Dolphy - Out There

[​IMG]