The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I love this one. I have it as part of the earlier US two cd set, and in the new Verve box set, which uses the mono mixes. Pops is Tops![​IMG]

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Randy Weston-Vishnu Wood Duo "Perspective"

[​IMG]

3. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Hi Bop Ska!
    The Skatalites:
    Tommy McCook, tenor sax; Roland Alphanso, tenor sax;
    LLoyd Kinbs, drums; LLoyd Brevet, bass; Nathan Breedlove, trumpet;
    Will Clark, trombone; Devon James Guitar; Bill Smith, piano & organ;
    Doreen Shaffer, vocals.
    Special Guests: Toots & The Maytals/ David Murray/ Lester Bowie/ Steve Turre/
    Monty Alexander/ Val Douglas/ Larry McDonald

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  4. [​IMG]

I've Got The World On A String - Louis Armstrong (Verve) SHM-CD

Arranged and conducted by Russell Garcia

Dated 1957

Japanese SHM-CD edition includes 2 Mono masters, 3 Mono alternate takes & additional Mono breakdown & inserts.

This is another gem presented in great sound with the big Orchestra arrangements in combination with Louis amazing trumpet & vocals. A special kind of musical magic!

Bobby Buckshot and fingerpoppin like this.
  5. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

LP - 80’s Impulse pressing

[​IMG]

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Listening to selections from...

Miles Davis - At The Fillmore (Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3)
    Columbia/Sony (1970)
    SICP30530-3
    Blu-Spec CD2

Trumpet – Miles Davis
    Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Steve Grossman
    Electric Piano – Chick Corea
    Organ, Tambourine – Keith Jarrett
    Percussion, Flute, Vocals – Airto Moreira
    Bass – Dave Holland
    Drums – Jack DeJohnette

[​IMG]

jay.dee, vanhooserd, xybert and 7 others like this.
  7. [​IMG]

Jive For Five - Bill Holman | Mel Lewis Quintet (V.S.O.P./Andex) CD
    with
    Bill Holman (tenor), Mel Lewis (drums), Jimmy Rowles (piano), Lee Katzman (trumpet), Wilford Middlebrook (bass)

Recorded 1958

Picked this one up after seeing it mentioned in a recommended "West Coast Jazz" album selection. It does not disappoint!

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

The Quintet's Jazz at Massey Hall from May 15, 1953 on OJC CD with *ahem* Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Charles Mingus & Max Roach. Interesting little bit of history behind this one, from the nonpayment/difficulty to cash checks to overdubbed bass lines by Mingus & Roach back in NYC. Great music nonetheless and an excellent used bin find.

jay.dee, vanhooserd, xybert and 7 others like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

MagicAlex likes this.
  10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

John Coltrane - Lush Life

[​IMG]

11. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

BENNY GOLSON / THE OTHER SIDE OF BENNY GOLSON / RIVERSIDE / 1958 / ORIGINAL MONO DEEP GROOVE RLP 12-290

BENNY GOLSON - TENOR SAXOPHONE

CURTIS FULLER - TROMBONE
    BARRY HARRIS - PIANO
    JYMIE MERRITT - BASS
    PHILLY JOE JONES - DRUMS

PRODUCED BY ORRIN KEEPNEWS. RECORDED BY TOM NOLA AT NOLA'S PENTHOUSE SOUND STUDIOS, NYC ON NOVEMBER 12, 1958. COVER DESIGN PAUL BACON, KEN BRAREN AND HARRIS LEWINE. LINER NOTES BY ORRIN KEEPNEWS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

This album is frequently overlooked in Lee's career but I rank it up there with the best. Not so much a hard bop album; more on the fringes. Just makes me wonder what we might have heard if he hadn't had his life ended so soon.

Lee Morgan - Lee Morgan (aka The Last Session)
    Blue Note (1971)
    UCCQ-3010

Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Lee Morgan
    Tenor Saxophone, Alto Flute – Billy Harper
    Trombone – Grachan Moncur III
    Flute – Bobbi Humphrey
    Piano, Electric Piano – Harold Mabern, Jr.
    Electric Bass – Jymie Merritt
    Acoustic Bass, Percussion – Reggie Workman
    Drums, Recorder – Freddie Waits

[​IMG]

13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

Yesterday evening .... :

[​IMG]

(CD Box Atlantic Records Rhino 0081227946418) 2016

thereof :

[​IMG]

Underappreciated classic from Coltrane`s Atlantic era in marvellous sound ....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. cds23

ART PEPPER / THE COMPLETE GALAXY RECORDINGS / FANTASY / 1989 / 16CD BOX SET

TOO MANY DATES AND TOO MUCH PERSONNEL TO TYPE IN MANUALLY. DISCOGS WILL HELP THOUGH: Art Pepper - The Complete Galaxy Recordings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought this at a store specialized in used CD. They were 3 minutes away from closing and I had been there for almost an hour browsing through Jazz CDs without even seeing it. I had already given up ever finding a copy and thought I'd have to pay an arm and a leg for it - but hey, they asked €99,99 (~ $120) for it. It is in absolute mint condition, looks like the previous owner didn't ever touch the LP-sized booklet. Try finding one at twice the price and you'll still have a hard time...

I have only listened to CD1 so far (which should be the "Today" album if I'm not mistaken) and it sounds wonderful, both musically and sonically. I just got one album of Art Pepper on Galaxy so far ("New York Album" on SACD fron Analogue Productions) and always felt it was a strong recording, but not as good as his earlier stuff. Let's see if I still feel that way once I have listened to all 16CDs.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Excellent album from the ever reliable Benny Golson.

16. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Dollar Brand At Montreux (Enja CD) from July 18, 1980 at the Montreux Jazz Festival. With Andre Strobert, Alonzo Gardner, Carlos Ward & Craig Harris. In addition to piano Brand also plays the sopranino saxophone. Blind buy from the used bins so didn't know what to expect. Much more R&B groove than I thought - and it's a good groove at that - although the last two tracks I'd consider post bop. The last one, Ishmael, has no piano or drums.

17. cds23

Agreed. This could be my favourite Golson album. Excellent tunes and performances.

18. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Conrad Silvert Presents Jazz At The Opera House, 2 CD Sony Records SRCS 7068-9.

It's hard to find it. Very expensive (€ 96).

Very nice compilation extracted by a concert for the journalist Conrald Silvert, dead a few weeks after the event.

Musicians in different line ups in unusual combinations featuring: Denny Zeitlin, Toshiko Akiyoshi, Lew Tabackin, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Wynton Marsalis, Charlie Haden, Tony Williams.
    Jaco Pastorius plays on a tune.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  19. cds23

PEPPER ADAMS QUINTET / 10 TO 4 AT THE 5 SPOT / RIVERSIDE / 1958 / ORIGINAL STEREO RLP 1104

DONALD BYRD - TRUMPET
    PEPPER ADAMS - BARITONE SAXOPHONE
    BOBBY TIMMONS - PIANO
    DOUG WATKINS - BASS
    ELVIN JONES - DRUMS

PRODUCED BY ORRIN KEEPNEWS. RECORDED 'LIVE' AT THE FIVE SPOT, NYC, ON APRIL 15, 1958 BY RAY FOWLER. PHOTOGRAPHY BY SHEILAGH COULTER. COVER DESIGN BY PAUL BACON. LINER NOTES BY ORRIN KEEPNEWS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bobby Buckshot

That really looks like a fantastic set. I recently streamed some of Art's Galaxy work with George Cables, namely the Tete-a-Tete album included on your box set and it was extremely good, lots of soulful playing that to me is the big payoff from the best jazz music.

cds23 likes this.
  21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Impulse WEA Records German Press A-10) 1980 .... fabulous recordings which (at least to ears) never sounded better than of this dead silent German vinyl press from 1980 .... btw still available for rather decent monies ....

vanhooserd, xybert, Robitjazz and 6 others like this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Impulse Nippon Columbia Japan YB-8506/7-AI) 1977 .... and the best sounding follow-up aka "The Other Village Vanguard Tapes" courtesy of Nippon Columbia from 1977 ....

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Three very different but great albums. All are highly recommended!

Voltaire likes this.
  24. [​IMG]

Really Livin' - The J. J. Johnson Sextet (Sony) CD
    with
    J. J. Johnson (trombone), Nat Adderley (trumpet), Bobby Jaspar (flute & tenor sax), Cedar Walton (piano), James [Spanky] De Brest (bass), Albert Heath (drums)

Dated 1959

Japanese Stereo CD edition issued in 2015 as part of Sony's Jazz Collection 1000 series.

A great sounding album! The playing is always fresh and interesting. Recommended!

Cactus Bob, royzak2000, cds23 and 2 others like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

The Best of Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis on CD. A bit of a misnomer of a title here as this is essentially a sampler of 2 of Lock's albums on the Pablo label: Straight Ahead & Montreux '77. On the first five songs of this CD from Straight Ahead, he plays with Tommy Flanagan, Keter Betts & Bobby Durham. This is a studio session from '76 recorded at RCA in California. The second part from Montreux '77 is live of course with the OP Trio: OP, Ray Brown & Jimmy Smith. Lockjaw Davis, the man who corked up some of the holes in his sax because he didn't play those notes, is one helluva player. Very expressive & never a wasted note, always in the pocket.