The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

2. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Andrew Hill
    Mosaic Select 16, Disc 1

[​IMG]

Very, very nice.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This is also coming out on vinyl for RSD Black Friday

4. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Mosaic Records "Mosaic Select" MS-020) 2005 .... CD1 recorded May 1st, 1970 @ Slug's Saloon, New York City .... Charles Tolliver (tp) + Stanley Cowell (p) + Cecil McBee (b) + Jimmy Hopps (dr) .... outstanding Strata-East live material showcasing Charles Tolliver`s skills and energy - similarly impressive rhythm section with Stanley Cowell shining brightly .... this Mosaic Select edition is a keeper for sure ....

5. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Very good idea Soulpope!

Charles Tolliver´s Big Band

[​IMG]

6. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Roy Hargrove's Crisol - Habana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

8. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

9. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1975 (Blue Note 1997)

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Riverside Victor Japan "Riverside Original Recording Series" SMJ-6119) 1975 .... recorded July 9th + August 7th, 1958 @ The Five Spot Cafe, New York City .... Johnny Griffin (ts) + Thelonious Monk (p) + Ahmed Abdul-Malik (b) + Roy Haynes (dr) .... to my ears Thelonious Monk felt challenged by Johnny Griffin and the fire kept burning throught these live performances .... still - together with "In Action"- one of my favourite Monk concert performances ....

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin' (recorded 1959, originally released in '61)

1966 Blue Note BST-84050 stereo repressing (blue & white NY labels, "RVG STEREO" stampers, no Plastylite "P")

One of the two Blue Note LPs I inherited from my grandmother as a teenager. A record I held in my hands way back in the early 80's when I was into The Beatles and The Who, and thought the cover art looked cool in a retro kind of way but had no idea who Jimmy Smith or Blue Note Records was. No internet back then to research on of course. Just drop the needle and play the damn thing, see how it hits you. This one suited me just fine.

Nowadays I'm in awe of the soulful interplay between Jimmy on Hammond organ, Percy France on tenor sax and Kenny Burrell's sultry guitar. A few snap/crackle/pops here and there but it's all part of the charm. Grandma's now 92 and couldn't hear a bomb if it detonated next to her; in a few decades I probably won't remember my own name and perhaps my kids will give this record a spin, and with any luck they'll find something to appreciate as I did.

[​IMG]

12. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Inexpensive original jazz record that's a damn fine session!

[​IMG]

13. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

I think I have a copy of that in the 'clean off the mold' pile. Gotta get on it.

AaronW and Fender Relic like this.
  14. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Hank Mobley - Thinking of Home
    Blue Note (1970)
    TOCJ-50288
    BNLT 999 Series

Tenor Saxophone – Hank Mobley
    Trumpet – Woody Shaw
    Guitar – Eddie Diehl
    Piano – Cedar Walton
    Bass – Mickey Bass
    Drums – Leroy Williams

[​IMG]

15. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE HORACE SILVER QUINTET / SONG FOR MY FATHER / BLUE NOTE / 1964 / US FIRST MONO PRESSING BN 4185

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've been wanting and trying to buy a clean LP of this at a decent price $10-15. I don't know why it's so hard but so far....unsuccessful.

MagicAlex likes this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Riverside Universal Japan UCCO-5572 SHM-CD) 2016 .... recorded October 18 and 20, 1959 "live" The Jazz Workshop San Francisco .... Cannonball Adderley (as) + Nat Adderley (co) + Bobby Timmons (p) + Sam Jones (b) + Louis Hayes (dr) .... needed some enchantement and this platter is always a safe bet to fit for that purpose .... still believe this being both the best Adderley led group and live recording .... the Adderleys are in peak form and Bobby Timmons (Adderley`s most soulful pianist by far) + Sam Jones + Louis Hayes excute like a highly energized groove machine .... btw this is an excellent sounding japanese SHM-CD edition ....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  18. [​IMG]

Used To Be Duke - Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra (Norgran/Verve) CD
    with
    Richard Powell (piano), Johnny Hodges (alto sax), Harold "Shorty" Baker (trumpet), Harry Carney (baritone sax), Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet), Lawrence Brown (trombone)
    plus
    Johnny Coltrane (tenor sax), Call Cobbs (piano), John Williams (bass), Louis Bellson (drums)

Recorded 1954

19. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Atlantic Warner Music Japan WPCR-29233 SHM-CD) 2017 .... recorded December 3rd, 1958 @ Coastal Recording Studios NYC..... Jimmy Giuffre (ts, bs, cl) + Bob Brookmeyer (tb, p) + Jim Hall (g) .... Jimmy Giuffre`s arrangements are masterful and result in superb chamber music-like jazz tone paintings ....

20. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Grant Green - Goin' West
    Blue Note (1969)
    TOCJ-9532
    JRVG Series

Guitar – Grant Green
    Piano – Herbie Hancock
    Bass – Reggie Workman
    Drums – Billy Higgins

[​IMG]

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Monday Miles . . . "Get Up With It" . . .

[​IMG]
    1974/2016 Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP1513, Columbia ‎– MOVLP1513
    2 × Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 180g, Gatefold

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

How is the Music On Vinyl Get Up With It? Is it worth grabbing- original pressings can be pretty pricey...

23. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

The Charlie Rouse Band - Cinnamon Flower (1977)

'87 Rykodisk RCD 10053

Bought this one on a lark, didn't really know what to expect. The cover artwork is definitely awkward/creepy by today's standards. This one is all over the place: definitely latin and jazz, with some samba, funk, and disco all thrown in. The promo below sums it up nicely. Quite reminiscent of a 70's Gato Barbieri album actually, although Charlie as we know has his own sound. The opening track, "Backwoods Echo," is worth the price of admission alone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

For an album with such long sides it sounds pretty great — my pressing is dead flat and silent with no pops or crackles at all! I'd definitely recommend it.

ohnothimagen and Morbius like this.
  25. Original Jazz Album Of The Meredith Willson Musical Hit

[​IMG]

Jimmy Giuffre and his Music Men play (selections from) Meredith Willson's The Music Man (Atlantic) CD

Credits
    Recorded 1957-1958

Japanese 24 bit remaster CD issued in the Warner Jazz Best 1000 Collection series.