The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

Indo-Jazz Suite / The Joe Harriott Double Quintet Under The Direction Of John Mayer (Atlantic) CD

Credits

Recorded 1966

24 bit remastered CD.

It ain't that often I hear a Jazz album like this one, with such an interesting combination of instruments and musicians. It all makes for a very refreshing listen!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Marzz and fingerpoppin like this.
  2. [​IMG]

Lady Day - The Complete Billie Holiday On Columbia [1933-1944] (Columbia/Legacy) 10CD

Now listening to the delightful selection on disc 1 (1933-1936) from this budget box.

On the first 3 tracks backing music is provided by Benny Goodman & His Orchestra.

All other music on this disc is by Teddy Wilson & His Orchestra (tracks 4 - 21).

Relevant discography information is in the accompanying 68 page book.

[​IMG]

3. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8076) 1978 .... recorded August 3rd, 1964 .... Wayne Shorter (ts) + McCoy Tyner (p) + Reginald Workman (b) + Elvin Jones (dr) .... wonderful music and sound ....

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Atane, it's sounds really fantastic. Great clarity and lot's of spatial information. But know there was a digital step included, as this was mastered by François Le Xuan in France and cut to lacquer by SST in Germany, probably because AAA would have required to make tape copies to gather all the different concerts on a single tape for cutting purposes. But I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell if I didn't know, it sounds that good!

By the way: the packaging is first rate, using very study and thick cardboard and nice, sharp photos. But it is very prone to ring wear as the records fit just so into the sleeves, so I strongly recommend to store them separately.

btf1980, Soulpope and Mugrug12 like this.
  7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Lou Donaldson - Lou Takes Off
    Blue Note (1957)
    TOCJ-1591
    BN Works 1500 Series

Alto Saxophone – Lou Donaldson
    Piano – Sonny Clark
    Trombone – Curtis Fuller
    Trumpet – Donald Byrd
    Bass – George Joyner
    Drums – Art Taylor

[​IMG]

8. cds23

vanhooserd, mktracy, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  9. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I agree with you. The BN expanded edition on 3 CD of 1996 has a unreasonable price: (today the new one costs $ 399,99 on Amazon website); the cheapest price of a used (nm) copy (European version) amounts to € 139,77.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  10. cds23

11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Whoa! Unfortunately for me, I once left my set too close to a heater and the spine-ends of the jewel cases got a little warped, so I'll never be able to cash in. I'll just have to comfort myself with the music.

12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8078) 1978 .... recorded February 1966 .... Wayne Shorter (ts) + Herbie Hancock (p) + Reginald Workman (b) + Joe Chambers (dr) .... a masterpiece ....

13. cds23

This album was my very first encounter with Wayne Shorter and turned me into a jazz fanatic (after a few years of just casual listening). It has a special place!

14. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Me as well.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  15. [​IMG]

Penthouse Serenade - Nat 'King' Cole at the piano (Capitol Jazz) CD
    with
    Nat 'King' Cole (piano & vocal), John Collins (guitar), Charlie Harris (bass), Bunny Shawker / Lee Young (drums), Jack Costanzo (bongos & congas).

A 19 track CD compilation that includes all 8 instrumental tracks that were issued on the 10" Capitol album "Penthouse Serenade", plus 6 vocal tracks not on the 10" album but also recorded the same year (1952). There are also 5 other instrumental tracks included, all recorded in 1955.

The CD edition was mastered by Odea Murphy.

This is a top notch release. Everything on this disc sounds exceptionally smooth and classy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  16. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'll pick this up. :thumbsup:

17. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Cookin' with Miles and the boys

[​IMG]

18. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Inspired to put this one on now, via LP. Excellent music.

19. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Horace Silver - Serenade To A Soul Sister
    Blue Note (1968)
    TOCJ-4277
    BN Works 4200 Series

Piano – Horace Silver
    Tenor Saxophone – Bennie Maupin, Stanley Turrentine
    Trumpet – Charles Tolliver
    Bass – Bob Cranshaw, John Williams
    Drums – Billy Cobham Jr., Mickey Roker

[​IMG]

20. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note Liberty Press Blue White Label BST-84166) 1967 .... recorded April 10th, 1964 .... Joe Henderson (ts) + Kenny Dorham (tp) + McCoy Tyner (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Elvin Jones (dr) .... Joe Henderson as powerful leader, but at a close second look this session has Kenny Dorham written all over it ....

21. Mugrug12

This. He wrote the best songs on it! Especially short story.

patient_ot and Soulpope like this.
  22. Mugrug12

ah insomnia...

Now playing "coltrane jazz". First pressing stereo on Atlantic. I still don't have a photo hosting account, so would you click on a YouTube link? Just finished the pretty ballad "I'll wait and pray". I'm not sure I've heard this song anywhere else...

23. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Erskine Hawkins "Jazz Tribune 3/4"

[​IMG]

24. ]
    [​IMG]

BEST OF The Complete Live Performances on Savoy Charlie Parker (Savoy Jazz) CD

13 track selection recorded 1947 & 1948.

Nicely packaged single disc in triple gate-fold cardboard sleeve - 20 page booklet included

CD mastered by Paul Reid III. Unfortunately the sound, although acceptable, lost a lot it's original life/sparkle due to use of the Cedar noise reduction system.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  25. ...from Miles Davis The Original Mono Recordings box...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Round About Midnight - Miles Davis (Columbia) CD

the 'Round About Midnight sleeve above is fractionally different from the smaller replica LP one that was issued in the box.