The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Sony Music Japan SICP-3991) 2014 .... recorded October 1st, 1975 @ New York .... Stan Getz (ts) + Albert Bailey (p) + Clint Houston (b) + Billy Hart (dr) .... not released until 1982 this recordings initiated a golden autumnal career of Stan Getz .... the leader`s performances display wisdom of age paired with the art of storytelling and he seems audibly motivated by the pin point rhythm back bone courtesy of Clint Houston + Billy Hart .... excellent transfer from Sony Music Japan ....

2. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Abdullah Sami - Peace of Time

[​IMG]

fingerpoppin and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Now playing Roscoe Mitchell "sound". 2010 reissue of the 1966 AACM lp

[​IMG]

w
    Lester Bowie trumpet, harmonica
    Lester Lashley trombone
    Maurice McIntyre tenor
    Malachi Favors bass
    Alvin Fieldsr drums

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Don Cherry - Symphony For Improvisers -from The Complete Blue Note Recordings
    Of Don Cherry -
    Session (B)
    Don Cherry, cornet; Gato Barbieri, tenor sax; Pharoah Sanders, tenor sax & piccolo, Karl Berger , vibes & piano;
    Jean Francois Jenny-Clark, bass; Henry Grimes, bass; Ed Blackwell, drums.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, Marzz, jay.dee and 8 others like this.
  5. Mugrug12

Nice one. I didnt know there was a Don Cherry mosaic box. I don't have any of his blue notes I need the box :)

fingerpoppin likes this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I try again and again with this one, still can't connect.

7. Mugrug12

I hear ya man. The title track is mostly a free for all but the tunes on side 1 are more song-y and accesible I'd say.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Donald Byrd The Cat Walk (RVG Liberty pressing) perfect Friday night listening!

[​IMG]

9. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Kenny Cox - Introducing Kenny Cox and the Contemporary Jazz Quintet

CD two-fer reissue (Connoisseur CD Series). Learned of this group from Mosaic’s recent blog post about them. Glad to have heard them and picked this up. Recommended to fans of the mid-to-late ‘60s out-yet-in sound.

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Prestige New Jazz Victor Japan "Prestige Jazz Masterpiece Series"SMJ-6572) .1978 ... recorded July 16th, 1961 @Pive Spot New York.... Eric Dolphy (as, b-cl) + Booker Little (tp) + Mal Waldron (p) + Richard Davis (b) + Ed Blackwell (dr) .... thought about Eric Dolphy as this classic live document was located near my turntable .... what more to be said about Eric Dolphy + Booker Little and a dark grooving rhythm section with priceless interaction between Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell ....

11. fingerpoppin

It's an out of print 2 CD (or 3 LP) set which contains all 3 sessions that he recorded for Blue Note. They were released as "Complete Communion", "Symphony For Improvisers" & "Where Is Brooklyn?"

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Mugrug12, Soulpope and J.A.W. like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Soul Note 1st Press SN 121148-2) 1989 .... recorded "live" September 16th, 1986 @ Village Vanguard, New York ..... Charlie Rouse (ts) + Woody Shaw (tp) + Mal Waldron (p) + Reggie Workman (b) + Ed Blackwell (dr) .... speaking about a modal jazz dream band of the 80`s would not be an exaggeration .... both Charlie Rouse and Woody Shaw in their late career shine brightly and Mal Waldron with cohorts does what he does best aka stirring sound structures .... this one (together with the companion Soul Note album "The Git Go") fixed in my rather small pantheon of 80`s jazz recordings .... btw great sounding live document ....

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It may be cheaper to get the individual albums and all have been reissued in Japan (2014, 2015) in very good sound. (Better than the sound on Mosaic imo). Out of print now, but may well be easier and cheaper to find.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It was recorded by Kazunori Sugiyama. His works as a mixer sound uniformly great![/QUOTE]

jay.dee and Soulpope like this.
  15. [​IMG]

DUKE ELLINGTON Meets Coleman Hawkins (Impulse!) CD

Alto Saxophone –
    Johnny Hodges
    Baritone Saxophone / Bass Clarinet – Harry Carney
    Bass – Aaron Bell
    Cornet / Violin – Ray Nance
    Drums – Sam Woodyard
    Piano – Duke Ellington
    Tenor Saxophone – Coleman Hawkins
    Trombone – Lawrence Brown

Recorded 1962. Impulse! Originals CD edition issued in 2007 in triple gate-fold digipak.

Revival time for this one as it has been far too long since I last listened to this smooth, almost easy listening album.

16. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

[​IMG]

I found a Made in Great Britain copy of this at an estate sale. Don’t know why but I really like the cover. The music is also more complex than it seems at first.

17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Legacy C2K-65189) 2001 .... recorded November 3rd + 4th, 1964 @ The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco .... Charlie Rouse (ts) + Thelonious Monk (p) + Larry Gales (b) + Ben Riley (dr) .... a priceless privilege having access to the complete(d) recordings of this club date and to experience how this working band is engraving the Thelonious Monk Songbook ....

18. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8140) 1979 .... recorded July 12th, 1968 @ Plaza Sound Studios .... Harold Land (ts, fl) + Bobby Hutcherson (vib) + Chick Corea (p) + Reggie Johnson (b) + Joe Chambers (dr) .... incipience of this ensemble`s spectacular co-operation (later sans Chick Corea) .... most striking how fiery tenorsax ace Harold Land (still in the hard bop mould) contrasts with the cool vibes of Bobby Hutcherson ....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  19. fingerpoppin

20. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

LARS GULLIN / EMARCY / 1953-55 / FIRST US MONO PRESSING MG 360 12 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Winner of the best grin on an album cover award.

Jackie P, Mugrug12 and Soulpope like this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Atlantic WEA German Press ATL 60 146) 1979 .... recorded "live" July 13th , 1960 @ Antibes Jazz Festival Juan-les-Pins, France .... Eric Dolphy (as, b-cl) + Booker Ervin (ts) + Ted Curson (tp) + Charles Mingus (b) + Dannie Richmond (dr) + Bud Powell (p) .... recorded 3 months before the uncompromising sessions for Nat Hentoff´s Candid label this live performance finds the Charles Mingus Quartet - augmented by passionate tenorsax giant Booker Ervin - in full force .... btw a touching guest appearance by Bud Powell on "I`ll Remember April" ....

23. Mugrug12

Just finished "fuego" by Donald Byrd w Lex Humphries, Duke Pearson, Doug Watkins and Jackie McLean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Mugrug12

And now I've passed over to Mick Goodrick "in pas(s)ing" on ECM. So good, from criminally underrated guitarist, with
    Jack Dejohnette
    Eddie Gomez
    John Surman- reeds

[​IMG]

Good sound also, listen to Gomez growl on side 2 opener :agree:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Voltaire, Marzz, Starwanderer and 3 others like this.