The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Have just f0ound in my Inbox these 3 wonderful CDs from the swiss label TCB Records ----> TCB

Price is 9 €uro incl. shipment. All I can say I am happy and the weekend will be fine.
    Plan to order some more to complete my stock.

2. Agreed. The "Jazz Giants '58 on vinyl with Getz, Mulligan and Edison is a swinging affaire. Also the Ballad Medley is very much appreciated here.
    Garner's "Concert by the Sea" a must in every collection of mainstream fans.

caio vaz likes this.
  3. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Joe Lovano - Rush Hour (1995). Gunther Schuller arranges and contributes two compositions, including the title track. Some of his arrangements are virtually unrecognizable, but the originality of the score and dynamic playing of Lovano make me not care. One of the most original jazz releases of the 90s.

[​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

BLACK FIRE - ANDREW HILL (Blue Note) CD

Recorded 1963.

RVG 24 bit remastered CD edition issued in 2003 with two alternate takes added.

[​IMG]

I had intended listening to this top notch album in the next day or two, but seeing it mentioned up-thread (and more than once) made certain it would be next up on today's playlist!

5. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

This ballad medley its wonderful. What Getz does in the final its the sound you listen when you get into heaven, i guess haha. Its like the ballad meadley on Stan getz with Oscar peterson trio album, another great score too.

6. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Some more good stuff..
    The Wes is new, the Vince/Bola from 80s, and the others from 50s.. Getz and Shorty rogers/André previn are brazilian, the others are from USA.
    [​IMG]

7. Wow! I see you have all my records. My Shorty Rogers has a different cover.
    Good selection

caio vaz likes this.
  8. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8014) 1977 .... recorded June 3rd, 1963 @ Van Gelder Studio Englewood Cliifs .... Joe Henderson (ts) + Kenny Dorham (tp) + McCoy Tyner (p) + Butch Warren (b) + Pete La Roca (dr) .... what a Blue Note opener for Joe Henderson by introducing two future classics aka "Blue Bossa" + "Recorda-Me" and choosing a congenial frontline with trumpet master Kenny Dorham .... great music still growing on me steadily ....

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  9. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

This is brazilian version from Shorty rogers, i think its from 1960, the year!

10. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Records Japan "Blue Note Masterpiece Selection 150" GXK-8024) 1978 .... recorded April 3rd, 1965 @ Van Gelder Studios Englewood Cliffs ..... Sam Rivers (ts, ss, fl, b-cl ) + Freddie Hubbard (tp) + Bobby Hutcherson (vib) + Andrew Hill (p)+ Richard Davis (b) + Joe Chambers (dr) .... again surprising on how many important recordings Freddie Hubbard participated as substantial contributor - here together with Sam Rivers in top form .... btw the interplay between Richard Davis (b) and Joe Chambers (dr) is priceless .... terrific recording indeed ....

11. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Albert Ayler - Goin' Home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

"Silver's Serenade" is my favourite Horace Silver recording and this is my 3rd copy - the first being an original mono which had annoying groove wear, the second a japanese stereo copy from Toshiba which sounds dead (unusual for japanese BN) and now this NM mono original - finally! I wonder, too, why this album album has never been reissued for the audiophile public (digital/analog). Probably this album never sold as well as the rest of Silver albums...

rxcory likes this.
  13. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Now Playing a comp I found of Eric Dolphy alt takes on prestige. released in the 80's, the romantically titled "Dash One". I think these are takes from "outward bound" and "out there" originally on New Jazz. With many folks- Booker Little, Roy Haynes, Eddie Blackwell, Richard Davis, Freddie Hubbard, my cousin Barbara from Long Island, everyone!

I don't have the album versions on hand to compare but these are fun performances, lots to like on this album...

[​IMG]

14. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

Ran into a live recording from this gig and another Double Rainbow Quartet performance and am really enjoying then.

[​IMG]

15. Mugrug12

NP Tony- "lifetime"

[​IMG]

His first album (right?). Maybe the most out blue note of the time except for Cecil Taylor.
    Some real thrilling moments especially the tenor drums duet during "green". For me the record is a little inconsistent because it's various different bands, not the same folks every time. The core (and best performances imo) for most of it is Sam Rivers on tenor and gary Peacock on bass. Check out the side two opener with just that trio. It's a killing free-play journey called "tomorrow afternoon". There's additional help from Richard Davis, Herbie and Ron Carter at other times. All tunes written by Williams himself, with a true BN rarity on the final song- the leader is not on it! There's no drums at all it's just Herbie and Ron.

Great music that I recommend but not for everyone: very free and texture oriented.
    :edthumbs:

16. Mugrug12

Moving along w the home-alone marathon!

Old and New Dreams (the ECM one)
    w:
    Don Cherry
    Dewey Redman
    Charlie Haden
    Ed Blackwell

[​IMG]

An absolutely essential album for ECM. Vital work from all players especially the rhythm section. Crucial free and modal jazz. Beautiful sound imo w reverb and a crystal clarity.
    A must-have.
    :)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  17. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Steve Grossman ~ Some Shapes to Come
    PM Records, 1974

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Tony Williams ~ The Joy of Flying
    Columbia, 1979

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, rxcory, xybert and 5 others like this.
  19. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

FRANK STROZIER SEXTET & QUARTET / LONG NIGHT / JAZZLAND / 1961 / FIRST US MONO PRESSING JLP 56

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Some of my "ATLANTICS" for a change

IRA Sullivan "Horizons" 1967
    a) multiinstrumentalist Ira Sullivan (ts - tp - ss - fh) Dolphe Castellano (p - elec. harpsichord) / Lon Norman (pb) / William Fry (b) / Jose Cigno (dr)
    Recording engineer: Mack L. Emerman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TEDDY CHARLES "Word From Bird" 1956

Teddy Charles (vibes) / Art Farmer (tp) / Eddie Bert (tb) / Jim Buffington (Frh) / Don Butterfield (tuba) / Hal Stein (as) / Robert Newman (ts) / George Barrow (bs) / Hal Overton (p) / Jimmy Raney (g) /Addison Farmer (b) / Ed Shaughnessy (dr)
    Recording engineers: Tom Down & Bob Doberty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. "The Phantastic Harp Of Dorothy Ashby" 1965

Dorothy Ashby (harp) / Richard Davis (b) / Grady Tate (dr) / Willie Bobo (perc)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Berthold, vanhooserd, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Gerry Mulligan - Rebirth of the Cool (1992). With Wallace Roney playing the Miles parts fluently, and John Lewis reprising his keyboard role. This could've been a tedious exercise in nostalgia, or worse, an cashing-in on past glory. Instead it's a marvelous recasting of classic material. Mel Torme lends his own velvet fog voice to "Darn That Dream." Is it better than the original? Not necessarily, but it's interesting and different, which is more than enough for me.

[​IMG]

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "World First Appearance 1800" GXF-3061) 1979 .... recorded July 21st, 1967 @ Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs .... Bobby Hutcherson (vib) + Herbie Hancock (p) + Albert Stinson (b) + Joe Chambers (dr) .... although definitely more adventurous than his other Blue Note Quartet recording "Happenings" this exquisiite Bobby Hutcherson session is still bound to hard bop roots .... btw worth the ticket of entry alone for the superb Stinson + Chambers combo ....

24. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Blue Note King Record Japan "Unissued Masters Series Part 1" GXK-8158) 1980 .... recorded March 29th, 1959 @ Van Gelder Studio Hackensack .... Hank Mobley (ts) + Donald Byrd (tp) + Sonny Clark (p) + Paul Chambers (b) + Art Blakey (dr) .... Sonny Clark the composer performs his euvre with a top noch band (Hank Mobley !!) .... wonderful music in pinpoint execution ....

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  25. Well said. I do agree in full. Nice CD.