The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

ELLINGTON JAZZ PARTY IN STEREO - DUKE ELLINGTON and His Orchestra (Columbia) CD
    Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
    featuring
    Bass – Jimmy Woode
    Drums – Sam Woodyard
    Piano – Duke Ellington / Jimmy Jones
    Saxophone – Jimmy Hamilton / Johnny Hodges / Paul Gonsalves / Russell Procope
    Trombone – Britt Woodman / John Sanders / Quentin Jackson
    Trumpet – Andres Ford / Cat Anderson / Clark Terry / Dizzy Gillespie / Shorty Baker / Ray Nance
    Vocals – Jimmy Rushing
    Percussion –
    Robert M. Rosengarden / Bradley Spinney / Chauncey Morehouse / Elden C. Baily / George Gaber / Harry Breuer / Milton Schlesinger / Morris Goldenberg / Walter E. Rosenberger

Recorded 1959 - This is another splendid Duke Ellington album I need to listen to more than I do. The Columbia Legacy CD sounds great and was remastered by Mark Wilder & Maria Triana.

Lonson, xybert, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  2. I'll try two questions here. It ought to be better than starting a new, ultimately useless dedicated thread about this...

1) What's the difference between the "The jazz beat" thread and the "Listenin' to jazz and conversation" one? When I want to post or look things up about jazz, I never know where to go.

2) If I come upon one such thread with thousands of pages and 43 parts, is there a way to quickly see the initial purpose description of said thread so that I don't have to bother you with... question #1) to begin with?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Essentially the same, but with much more conversation on the Conversation thread. I dabble in both, but had to "ignore" a frequent poster in the Conversation thread to save my sanity, and it's much more enjoyable now.

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I just ordered this an it is supposed to arrive today so this evening will be my first listen.

5. The return album from the horn blower...

[​IMG]

THE MAN WITH THE HORN - MILES DAVIS (Columbia) CD

Bass –
    Marcus Miller / Felton Crew
    Drums – Al Foster / Vincent Wilburn
    Guitar – Mike Stern / Barry Finnerty
    Percussion – Sammy Figueroa
    Soprano Saxophone – Bill Evans
    Piano, Synthesizer [Yamaha Cp30], Arranged By – Robert Irving III
    Vocal - Angela Bofill's Singers
    Trumpet - Miles Davis

1 track recorded 1980, 4 tracks recorded 1981

Miles blows over what the rest of the band had already laid down. Miles referred to their playing as "bubble gum music". The title track got a lot of radio play at the time. I have always found most or all of this album more appealing and preferable to his later albums, especially the non soundtrack Warner ones.

xybert, rxcory, SJR and 2 others like this.
  6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Columbia Legacy Austrian Press CK-65187) 1997 .... recorded September 15th, 1961 @ Paris France .... Bud Powell (p) + Pierre Michelot (b) + Kenny Clarke (dr) .... still on a Bud Powell binge and this Cannonball Adderley produced hommage to the music of Thelonious Monk satisfies my needs end-to-end .... Bud Powell is in excellent form throughout and the Piere Michelot + Kenny Clarke rhythm backbone is priceless .... btw excellent sounding Legacy release ....

7. [​IMG]
    Sextet - Cal Tjader | Stan Getz (Original Jazz Classics Remasters/Fantasy) CD

Recorded 1958. 24-bit remastered by Joe Tarantino 2011. There's a 10 page fold out included with both old and new liner notes.

Great album with some wonderful playing on this prime session.

vanhooserd, Berthold, rxcory and 5 others like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]
    Leo Parker ‎– Let Me Tell You 'Bout It
    Label: Blue Note ‎– UCCQ-9503
    Series: Blue Note 80 More 60 Works
    Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Paper Sleeve
    Released: 19 Jun 2019
    Recorded by RVG on 9/9/61. Fantastic album. I've waited too long to add some Leo Parker to my jazz collection and so when I saw his albums included in the BN80 Japanese reissue CDs I jumped on them. Great music & playing.

fingerpoppin, rxcory, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

After Leo, continuing with the baritone sax with:

[​IMG]
    The Nick Brignola Sextet Featuring Pepper Adams ‎–Baritone Madness
    Label: Bee Hive Records ‎– BH 7000
    Released: 1978
    Recorded 12/22/77 at Blue Rock Studio in NYC. Listening via the Mosaic Bee Hive box set, which is the only time these Bee Hive LPs have been issued digitally. You can tell it's not an RVG recording. After the Parker album I put this on and it took a few minutes to get used to that variation. There's less of an immediacy to the sound here, especially the horns. But after a while it didn't bother me at all. The playing is phenomenal and shines through any perceived recording deficit.

fingerpoppin, rxcory, Marzz and 2 others like this.
  10. This recording was issued by Fantasy in two versions with the same content but different frontcover and liner notes & Cat Numbers

a= Fantasy 3246 (as shown) Liner notes by Ralph J. Gleason
    b= Fantasy 3348 (different cover - see below) Liner notes by Groover Dales jr. 1963

[​IMG]

11. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

To answer your second question here's the first post of Jazz Beat, from way back in 2010.

Jazz Beat

Fwiw, @Bogey was no longer a regular poster on Jazz Beat at the time it was split up and there was lots of interesting "conversations" until someone else decided what should be on/off topic and frequently hit the report button, unfortunately. It wasn't me :)

Lonson, Bobby Buckshot and ParloFax like this.
  12. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Cool a tenor sax and upright bass scroll. Nice score dude!
    :righton:
    This I always look for and that Mal Waldron is a vinyl grail for me. Someday....

Bobby Buckshot and rxcory like this.
  13. Yes some Baritons together create a big sound. On the Berlin Jazz Festival 1985 there was an evening called "Battle of the Big Horns" which I have on tape but which is also available on You tube.
    Here is a link
    “Battle Of The Big Horns”: Payne / Cuber / Brignola / Johnson

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. Have those questions myself but dont see any system or strategy. Jazz is the main topic thats all seems to me.

15. [​IMG]

CLIFFORD BROWN Jazz Immortal FEATURING ZOOT SIMS (Pacific Jazz) CD
    Recorded 1954.
    24-bit RVG remaster CD issued in 2001, and it sounds just about perfect. There are two alternate takes tagged on to the end of the original album and an 8 page fold out booklet is also included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It may have a short playing time (approx. 33 minutes) but every minute is a total delight. Very cool, first class Jazz.

16. More top notch music from Clifford Brown and others recorded the previous year...

[​IMG]

Memorial Album - CLIFFORD BROWN (Blue Note) CD

Tracks 1-9 recorded June 1953
    with
    Clifford Brown (trumpet), Lou Donaldson (alto sax), Elmo Hope (piano), Percy Heath (bass), Philly Joe Jones (drums)

Tracks 10-18 recorded August 1953
    with
    Clifford Brown (trumpet), Gigi Gryce (alto sax & flute), Charlie Rouse (tenor sax), John Lewis (piano), Percy Heath (bass), Art Blakey (drums)

The 18 track CD was remastered in 24-bit by RVG in 2001. It included 6 alternate takes and an 8 page fold out booklet.

Excluding the 6 alternate tracks all of the music on this CD can be found, albeit in a different sequence, on the following two Blue Note LPs.

[​IMG]

NEW STAR ON THE HORIZON

[​IMG]

NEW FACES - NEW SOUNDS

rxcory, vanhooserd, Marzz and 8 others like this.
  17. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Thanks! As I said before, it was only after purchasing the record that I noticed the signatures of the Heath Brothers - still don't know how I missed them, as I usually inspect the cover for personnel, overall condition etc.

The Waldron is indeed a record to treasure, both the music (of course) and the object itself. I think my picture lacks contrast, so it might not show how beautifully textured the cover is. I had a japanese first pressing in stereo (deep groove and flipback cover) that sounded absolutely great already, but for this specific album I just had to have a first pressing... - you'll certainly come across a copy someday, patience is everything!

Mugrug12 likes this.
  18. Concerning

[​IMG]

Sextet - Cal Tjader | Stan Getz (Original Jazz Classics Remasters/Fantasy) CD

I forgot to mention that if given an option I would chosen a copy of the original Original Jazz Classics CD because the current Remasters edition, much to my annoyance, is mastered way too loudly.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Dignan2000 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I started the "Conversation" thread to create a more open-ended jazz listening thread. The "mission statement" appears in the very first post of the long thread.

Yesternow and charlesp like this.
  20. Thanks. Indeed this one was not too far down to fetch. But the other thread with 43 parts discouraged me to search! :)

Lonson likes this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Re: the 2 jazz threads question. Since this gets asked a lot, see here for when the official split occured:

The Jazz Beat and read a little forward.

I remember it had been brewing for a bit. Everybody had posts getting deleted - kind of funny and silly at the same time looking back. Ironically the main parties policing the JB thread back then don't contribute here much, if at all, anymore. Oh well :shrug:.

I've come to like both threads for what they are and I think there's enough room on the forum for two (and more!). Although I'm awfully tempted to take a page out of @rxcory 's book for the convo thread at times (likely for the same poster lol) :wiggle:

Anyhoo...

NP:

[​IMG]

Vito Price ‎– Swingin' The Loop
    Label: Argo (6) ‎– UCCC-9021
    Series: Argo Cadet My Favorite Collection 20 – 1
    Format: CD, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Mono, Paper Sleeve
    Released: 27 Nov 2002

Recorded in January 1958. Almost big-bandish sounding at times, these songs are excellent. Such inspired playing, especially from Price. And I love the album cover - makes me want to go to Chicago!

rxcory, Marzz, cds23 and 2 others like this.
  22. Another of the great masters

Blue Note (Japan only) GXF 3055 [ 1979] - Original session produced by Alfred Lion - Recording engineer: Rudy Van Gelder in his New Jersey Studios on May 27, 1965
    The material on this album here is released the first time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory, Marzz, smilin ed and 2 others like this.
  23. Thanks for the C. Brown survey. To my knowledge there exist a few more of the early 10" Blue Notes with Clifford Brown.
    Dont know if these contents are also reissued on CD's probably also under Gigi Gryce reissues?
    Here are some pics of the old originals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Dont have this CD but do agree about the music.
    Now I did a search in my own stock wether all this is missing here (?) and found out the following:
    6 of these CD tracks appear also on my old Fontana Lp Stereo 883 270 JYC in the "Jazz Cub Series Vol 20 " from the Netherlands + 2 more tracks
    - Bones For Jones (4:13)
    - Bones for Zoot (4.28).

Four appear also on my Pacific Jazz PJ 1214 LP title "Arranged By Montrose" as Side B of the LP. So I am missing only the alt. tracks from your CD. Great relief!
    ;-}}

25. [​IMG]

STAR PEOPLE - MILES DAVIS (Columbia/Legacy) CD
    Recorded 1982 & 1983.

"Miles Davis rediscovers the blues. Beside the members of the band from the We Want Miles album, the recordings feature John Scofield for the first time, who worked alongside Mike Stern in Davis' band in late 1982 and early 1983 before Stern's departure later in the year. Marcus Miller played on five of the six tracks and would later be replaced by Tom Barney, Al Foster and Mino Cinelu are heard on drums and percussion. Miles Davis plays trumpet and Oberheim synthesizer often at the same time (without using overdubs) and also on separately recorded interludes for the over 18-minute long blues "Star People".

Miles on top of solid sounding Blues/Funk rhythms, and we get a front sleeve featuring a painting by Miles.

rxcory, frightwigwam, SJR and 3 others like this.