The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A little bit more info would be welcome :(

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Surely.

Ken Vandermark led group. Debut recording from 2013 with Paal Nilssen-Love on drums and Nate McBride on bass. Vandermark is on various reed instruments. Improvisational but with lot of very melodic interludes.

FME: Underground, by Ken Vandermark

Starwanderer likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

And now for something a little more lively.

A recording of Peter Brotzmann's Chicago Tentet from early on, May 1999, at the Festival de Musique de Actuelle in Victoriaville, Quebec.

Peter Brotzmann, Mats Gustafsson, Ken Vandermark -- saxophones & reeds
    Jeb Bishop -- trombone
    Toshinori Kondo -- trumpet, electronics
    Fred Lomborg-Holm -- cello, violin
    William Parker, Kent Kessler -- bass
    Hamid Drake, Michael Zerang -- drums

Limited edition vinyl release from Okka Disk.

[​IMG]

6. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Art Farmer - Maiden Voyage

[​IMG]

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

9. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Hank Mobley
    The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions, Disc 2

[​IMG]

jbg, Bobby Buckshot, Marzz and 8 others like this.
  10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'd never heard, nor heard of this album before but saw a clean copy at the store this week for <$15 so how could I say no? As the title makes clear, this is Sonny Rollins w a big band :oops:

[​IMG]

Did he ever do this before or since? Im not a very big big-band fan man but I love Sonny and the sound of his horn on this album is dynamite. Side 2 is more up my alley featuring a Rollins style trio w no piano, and Henry Grimes on bass!
    This 1959 album is on the metro jazz label, MGM's (short lived?) attempt at a jazz imprint. My only other album from them is also a sort-of novelty, "keeping up w the Joneses" with all the Jones brothers and a bassist named Jones playing songs also by people named "Jones". That record is really great though, maybe I will pull it out for a spin and post about it.
    :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  11. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Hank Mobley
    The Complete Blue Note Hank Mobley Fifties Sessions, Disc 3

[​IMG]

jbg, Bobby Buckshot, Marzz and 11 others like this.
  12. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Sony Japan SICP 30265 Blu-Spec CD2) 2013 .... recorded October 1966 .... Miles Davis (tp) + Wayne Shorter (ts) + Herbie Hancock (p) + Ron Carter (b) + Tony Williams (dr) .... back from the holidays I needed to set the record straight .... beloved music and definitely part of my DNA ....

Starwanderer, Mugrug12, jbg and 11 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The People Could Fly - CAMILLA GEORGE (Ubuntu Music) CD

Recorded on 4th - 5th January 2017 at Fish Factory, London.

New music to me from Nigerian born Camilla George who is is now based in London.

"They say the people could fly. Say that long ago in Africa, some people knew magic...and they flew like blackbirds over the fields" - Virginia Hamilton

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  14. [​IMG]
    The Golden Flute - Yusef Lateef (Impulse!) CD
    with
    Yusef Lateef (flute, tenor & oboe), Hugh Lawson (piano), Herman Wright (bass), Roy Brooks Jr. (drums).

Recorded 1966. The CD sounds great and was re-issued in 2004 in a digipak with a pull out sheet that gives interesting explanations why the tracks were chosen.

Apparently Yusef Lateef does not play on track 8, Head Hunters.

This is a great album and one that I like it a lot. It features two original compositions, and seven cover versions.

15. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Miles Davis: Someday My Prince Will Come

[​IMG]

From this set:

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Berthold, jbg and 11 others like this.
  16. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Walter Benton, Albert Heath, Freddie Hubbard, Paul Chambers, Wynton Kelly – Out of This World (1960)

[​IMG]

17. Mirror Image

Strange cover for not mentioning Albert Heath. Looks like a quartet not a quintet if we were to take the album cover alone at face value.

18. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Possibly because some tracks have Albert Heath on drums, and others have Jimmy Cobb. I forgot to mention in my post.
    If the cover had listed all the musicians involved, then it would have looked like a sextet!

Mirror Image likes this.
  19. Mirror Image

Ah, well that makes sense. Personally, I wouldn’t have put any names on the album cover except for Walter Benton Quintet and the album title Out of This World.

20. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

This is the third thread I've seen this posted in. Is that not just a bit redundant and unnecessary? I don't want to be rude or pushy but it makes me think I'm reading threads repeatedly. I don't think multiple posts add to the forum. Just seems like clutter...

21. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Andrew Hill, Dizzy Reece, Howard Johnson, Joe Farrell, Julian Priester, Lenny White, Robert Northern, Ron Carter, Woody Shaw – Passing Ships (1969)

[​IMG]

22. Mirror Image

Kenny Wheeler: Music For Large & Small Ensembles (Disc 1)

[​IMG]

23. Mirror Image

John Coltrane: The Classic Quartet - Complete Impulse! Studio Recordings (Disc 1)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

No, you're not being rude or pushy. Don't sweat it.

25. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

That's one view, of course. On the other hand I actively avoid those threads, so I'm not seeing any repeats at all (nor would it bother me if I did). Fwiw I'm not the only one to avoid those other threads.
    And with a gazillion Beatles & Monkees threads I don't consider another Blue Note vinyl post a problem and certainly not clutter.
    I have NO intention in buying yet another "definitive" Blue Note reissue and so I only see @SJR 's posts when he posts on this thread. I enjoy seeing them. Great to see that he's diggin' the music so much :thumbsup:
    Hope he and others continue to post here.
    I'd love to see what Jazz you're actually listening to as well.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019