The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jbg likes this.
  2. From the 8 CD Box set

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA AND RCA ALBUMS COLLECTION - ART BLAKEY (Columbia|RCA Legacy)

with 24 page booklet

CD 1
    [​IMG]

THE JAZZ MESSENGERS (Columbia / Legacy) CD
    with
    Donald Byrd (trumpet), Hank Mobley (tenor sax), Horace Silver (piano), Doug Watkins (bass), Art Blakey (drums)

Recorded 1956. CD edition in 24-bit mastering by Mark Wilder from original MONO tapes.

Cardboard sleeve 12 track edition from the box set includes the original 7 tracks from the THE JAZZ MESSENGERS Columbia LP (plus the bonus track from the CD edition) plus 4 selections from the Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ORIGINALLY Columbia LP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

Miles Davis ‎– The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions
    Label: Columbia ‎– C5K 86359, Legacy ‎– C5K 86359
    Series: Miles Davis Complete Recording Series – 7
    Format: 5 × CD, Compilation, Remastered Box Set
    Released: 13 Oct 2003

Listening to Disc 3 with:

jbg, xybert, Glenn coates and 10 others like this.
  4. Wow! Thats enough for the weekend I guess! Have a good "Red One" at hand.

5. Xanadu 148 "Shorty Rogers & Art Pepper" - Recorded December 27, 1951 - Engineer: Bob Andrews

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucca90 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  6. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

As I'm getting ready to clean the Blue Note 80th new release of Kenny's Una Mas on the RCM, I'll ease myself in quietly with:

Kenny Dorham, Art Taylor, Paul Chambers, Tommy Flanagan – Quiet Kenny (1959)

[​IMG]

mwheelerk, jbg, xybert and 12 others like this.
  7. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

jbg, Glenn coates, Berthold and 8 others like this.
  8. From the 8 CD Box set THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA AND RCA ALBUMS COLLECTION - ART BLAKEY (Columbia/Legacy)

CD 2
    [​IMG]

HARD BOP - THE JAZZ MESSENGERS (Columbia/Legacy) CD

Bill Hardman (trumpet), Jackie McLean (alto sax), Sam Dockery (piano), Spanky DeBrest (bass), Art Blakey (drums)

Recorded 1956. CD edition in 24-bit mastering by Mark Wilder from original STEREO tapes.

Tracks 1-5 originally issued on HARD BOP (Columbia) LP.
    Tracks 6-8 originally issued on
    DRUM SUITE (Columbia) LP / Track 9 (Gerswhin Medley) originally issued on Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers ORIGINALLY (Columbia) LP

9. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

10. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Starwanderer, jbg, xybert and 11 others like this.
  11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Jazzhaus SWR Arthaus Music 101 706) 2012 ..... recorded "live" June 22nd, 1964 @ Audimax Freiburg Germany .... Heinz Sauer (ts, ss) + Günter Kronberg (as) + Albert Mangelsdorff (tb ) + Günter Lenz (b) + Ralf Hübner (dr) .... this formidable pianoless all-German group led by world class trombone player Albert Mangelsdorff hat three excellent albums for CBS in the mid60`s and are here back on home soil - after returning from a highly successful tour abroad - on top of their game .... special mention goes to outstanding bassplayer Günter Lenz .... btw excellent audio quality courtesy of German Radio SWR .... definitely deserves wider recognition ....

jay.dee, Berthold, jbg and 4 others like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

13. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Sonny Red - Out of the Blue

[​IMG]

14. Biograph Records BLP-12063 "Al Cohn - Be Loose" - rec. September 29,1958 - Reissue of original DAWN LP
    Featuring
    Al Cohn (ts) / Frank Rehak (tb) / Hank Jones (p) / Milt Hinton (b) / Osie Johnson (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

caio vaz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  15. French reissue of RCA NL 89278 in the series "Jazz Line"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. cbmuir

cbmuir Forum Resident

We would have loved to keep going, but the logistics of this were too much. It was truly a labor of love, though.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett, Charlie Haden, Danny Johnson, Dewey Redman, Guilherme Franco, Paul Motian – Treasure Island (1974)

[​IMG]

Disc 3 of Keith Jarrett – The Impulse Years, 1973-1974

[​IMG]

18. dZp

dZp Forum Resident

Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane, Paul Chambers, Philly Joe Jones, Red Garland – Milestones (1958)

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, mwheelerk, jbg and 11 others like this.
  19. From the 8 CD Box set THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA AND RCA ALBUMS COLLECTION - ART BLAKEY (Columbia/Legacy)

CD 3
    [​IMG]

DRUM SUITE / ART BLAKEY and the THE JAZZ MESSENGERS (Columbia/Legacy) CD

Tracks 1-3 by THE ART BLAKEY PERCUSSION ENSEMBLE
    Ray Bryant (piano), Oscar Pettiford (bass) Art Blakey / Jo Jo (drums)/ Specs Wright (drums / tympani / gong / vocals), Candido Cameron (bass / congas / percussion / vocals), Sabu Martinez (bongos / congas / percussion / vocals)
    Recorded 1957

Tracks 4-6 by
    ART BLAKEY and the THE JAZZ MESSENGERS
    Donald Byrd (trumpet), Ira Sullivan (tenor sax / trumpet), Kenny Drew (piano), Wibur Ware (bass), Art Blakey (drums)
    Recorded 1956

Mono recordings mastered by Mark Wilder using DSD technology.

*Tracks 4 & 6 originally issued on Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ORIGINALLY (Columbia) LP

Berthold, xybert, caio vaz and 3 others like this.
  20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

21. Who does not like this one. Lover on the first moment (with the content!!)
    ;-}}

22. Gryphon 2-Record set BT-8085~6- recorded July 28 & 29, 1978 - reissued in Japan 1979 by Nippon Phonogram Limited, Tokyo as RJ-7470

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

I finally got a (new) copy of Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady from Superior Viaduct. I have wanted to try one of their vinyl reissues for a while. Wow. It is absolutely faithful to the original and then some. One of the hallmarks of Mingus' (and Teo Macero's) stereo work is the confusion of sounds panning between channels—which is sometimes lost when an album is remastered. The Superior Viaduct version is true to the original and now I can hear all sorts of detail I never heard before. This is by far the best $22 I have spent in 2019 thus far.

[​IMG]

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I wrote on some other threads about jazz SACDs and audiophile pressing CDs, which promted me to make a (selected) definitive CD list of Wes Montgomery, as I thought they are relatively clear. Here we go.

The Wes Montgomery Trio - Fantasy SACD
    So Much Guitar! - DCC
    Full House -DCC
    Bags Meets Wes - DCC or VDJ
    Boss Guitar - VICJ
    Movie Wes - WG
    Smokin - WG
    Going Out Of My Head - DCC
    California Dreaming - WG
    Tequila - WG
    A&M Trilogy - 30XB

(The Trio is one of a few Fantasy SACDs that still hold up today from the series. The others are Shaft and Out There.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  25. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member