The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

A sadly overlooked musician. Saw him in a club in the '80's with a killer rhythm section; Dennis Moorman, Freddie Waits and Cecil McBee.

fingerpoppin, frightwigwam and Marzz like this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

3. Mugrug12, dosjam, Jazzmonkie and 4 others like this.
  4. [​IMG]

"the KID" and "the BRUTE" - ILLINOIS JACQUET | BEN WEBSTER (Clef/Verve) - 2017 CD edition with 9 aditional tracks

with
    Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone / Vocals / Percussion –
    Illinois Jacquet
    Baritone Saxophone – Leo Parker / Cecil Payne
    Double Bass –
    Al Lucas
    Congas, Vocals – Chano Pozo
    Drums – Osie Johnson / Shadow Wilson
    Piano – Johnny Acea
    Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster
    Trombone – Matthew Gee
    Trumpet – Russell Jaquet

Re-issued in cardboard gatefold sleeve (slightly different than the one posted above). I love these sessions and find myself returning to this disc on a regular basis.

5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

ROY BROOKS / THE FREE SLAVE / MUSE / 1970 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING MR 5003 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A classic "Soul Jazz" recording from the former and longtime drummer of the Horace Silver Quintet. Stretched out compositions with lots of improvisation give this album a certain jam session feel (in a good way). The line-up is first rate - and not only do the members of the group know how to play, they seem to have a blast, interacting with the enthusiastic audience. Highly recommended!

6. Like these 2 ..... "old" acquisions here
    ;-}}

Fischman likes this.
  7. Looks like the original vinyl cover

[​IMG]

8. The only difference I can see is the original LP cover (below) had no brown strip down the right hand side - the new cardboard sleeved CD has the same cover too except it has a brown strip (with a date inserted) and it is down the left hand side!

[​IMG]

ORIGINAL LP Cover

Starwanderer likes this.
  9. cds23

PHAROAH SANDERS / BLACK UNITY / 1971 / IMPULSE / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING AS-9219 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favourite Pharoah Sanders album next to "Tauhid". "Black Unity" is a hypnotising trip, mainly induced by the unstoppable groove produced by Cecil McBee and Stanley Clarke. The basslines seem perfectly in sync until each bassist shifts slightly in another direction and creating a - in lack of a better word - trance and thus rendering all other (without a doubt splendid) musicians to mere sidemen.
    Also astounding is that with so many musicians and instruments in the room, this record is very accessible.

10. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Marzz, AaronW, Fischman and 11 others like this.
  11. Revisiting the JAZZ from America ON disques vogue Legacy 20 CD (41 albums) boxset. Disc 1 incorporates two 10" LPs.

[​IMG]

Tracks 1-8 - Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn (Piano Duets) - Billy Strayhorn Trio/Quartet from 10" Mercer LP 1001
    with Wendell Marshall / John Shulman (double bass) & unknown drummer.

Tracks 9-12 - New Stars - New Sounds Volume 2 - Duke Ellington presents Oscar Pettiford, His Cello & Quartet from 10" Mercer LP 1003
    with Oscar Pettiford (cello), Duke Ellington (piano), Billy Strayhorn (celeste), Lloyd Trotman (double bass) & Jo Jones (drums)

Tracks 13-16 - New Stars - New Sounds Volume 2 - Serge Chaloff and the Herdmen from 10" Mercer LP 1003
    with Red Rodney (trumpet), Earl Swope (trombone), Al Cohn (tenor sax), Serge Chaloff (baritone sax), Terry Gibbs (vibraphone), Barbara Carroll (piano), Oscar Pettiford (double bass), Denzil Best (drums) / Arrangements by Shorty Rogers

All music recorded 1950 except tracks 13-16 which were
    recorded 1949 and first issued on
    Futurama. All info from Jazz from America on disques vogue box set booklet.

Tracks 1 -12 also issued (and with different mastering?) on ....
    [​IMG]

GREAT TIMES! / Piano Duets - DUKE ELLINGTON * BILLY STRAYHORN (OJC) CD

Tracks 9-16 originally issued on this 10"......

[​IMG]

new stars - new sounds

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listening to this MCA 2CD-set:

[​IMG]

13. cds23

HANK MOBLEY / WORKOUT / BLUE NOTE / 1961 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING BN 84080 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've never understood how so many jazz fans named "Soul Station" when asked what their favourite Hank Mobley album is, when there is "Workout". For one, I prefer "Philly" Joe Jones' drumming when Hank is the leader - he just pushed the envelope a little further and sounded a bit more diverse, giving just enough edginess to the sound to juxtapose to Mobley's round tone. Also, Grant Green is in stellar form on this one. I've heard my share of boring Grant Green albums - but this one is definitely one of his best performances.

14. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Charles Lloyd at Monterey ~ Forest Flower
    Atlantic, 1967

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Jackie McLean - New Soil

[​IMG]

16. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

George Duke ~ Feel
    MPS, 1974

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JazzcornerND and fingerpoppin like this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

18. [​IMG]

TUBBS - TUBBY HAYES (Fontana) MQA CD - LP sleeve above courtesy London Jazz Collector

Bass –
    Jeff ClyneClarinet – Al Newman / Bob Burns
    Drums – Bill Eyden
    Flute – Bill Skeets / Johnny Scott
    Guitar – Dave Goldberg
    Oboe – Harry Meyers
    Piano – Johnny Scott / Terry Shannon
    Trombone – Don Lusher / Jimmy Wilson / Keith Christie / Ray Premru
    Trumpet – Bobby Pratt / Eddie Blair / Jimmy Deuchar / Stan Roderick
    Tuba – Alfie Rees
    Saxophone [Tenor] / Vibraphone – Tubby Hayes

Tubby's first album recorded for Fontana over three sessions in March 1961. At the time Dizzy Gillespie hailed Tubby "the greatest tenor sax player anywhere"

The 2019 MQA CD edition is included in the 13 CD boxset TUBBY HAYES - THE COMPLETE FONTANA ALBUMS 1961-1969
    *MQA is an award-winning technology that delivers master quality audio in a file that's small enough to stream or download.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Marzz, Starwanderer and Berthold like this.
  19. cds23

MAL WALDRON / THE QUEST / NEW JAZZ / 1961 / US FIRST MONO PRESSING NJLP 8269 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mal Waldron in his absolute prime, every single note and second of this record is sublime and deserves full attention.

"The Quest" is a melange of Post-Bob and Avantgarde, yet highly melodic. Booker Ervin and Eric Dolphy (can't remember if they ever played in Mingus' band at the same time off the top of my head) solos are consistently strong (listen to "Warm Canto" for what is probably one of the most beautiful ballads ever written) and match so well it's a pity they didn't play together more often in small/medium group setting. Also noteworthy is that Ron Carter is playing cello only, often times bowing, and he does it so tastefully by adding a not only texture but a certain atmosphere to the tracks.

I'm sure you haven't missed the slighty worn looking labels - this original first pressing belonged to a belgian radio station and the DJ (or whoever filed the records at the time) put radiostation stickers on the labels and wrote dates and some sort of archiving code on the back of the cover. Someone must have tried to remove the sticker and damaged the labels while doing so. I've got a couple of these and the vinyl is always pristine - and apart from the writing on the back, the covers look really nice, too.

Marzz, Tim 2, Starwanderer and 6 others like this.
  20. From Jazz from America On Disques Vogue (Sony Music/Legacy) boxset - CD 2 - with a playing time just shy of 70 minutes.

[​IMG]
    STAN GETZ QUARTET (Vogue/Sony Music Legacy) CD

Tracks 1-8 STAN GETZ QUARTET - Stan Getz Quartet (10" Roost LP) Recorded 1950
    with
    Stan Getz (tenor sax), Horace Silver/Al Haig (piano), Joe Calloway / Tommy Potter (double bass), Walter Bolden / Roy Haynes(drums)

Tracks 9-17 STAN GETZ QUARTET & QUINTET (7" Roost singles) Recorded 1951
    with
    Stan Getz (tenor sax), Horace Silver (piano), Joe Calloway / Tommy Potter (double bass), Walter Bolden / Roy Haynes(drums)

Tracks 18-21 JAZZ AT STORYVILLE - THE STAN GETZ QUINTETTE (10" Roost LP) Recorded 1951
    with
    Stan Getz (tenor sax), Al Haig (piano), Teddy Kotick (bass), Tiny Kahn (drums)

Jazz At Storyville - original 10" French Vogue LP front cover...

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Cactus Bob and J.A.W. like this.
  21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

This album is like comfort food for me. My copy has a skip on the title track and a bit noisy w/worn cover so I'm always on the look out for a nice clean copy but in over 2 years of looking at record stores, thrifts,fleas,yard sales, etc.. one has never turned up. They always do though especially if I pick up one on eBay or discogs for $10-15. :laugh:

[​IMG]

22. fndrblndr

fndrblndr Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Posting in this thread, too...sorry to spam.

Anyone know this album?

peter1 likes this.
  23. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

24. Interesting CD compilation. I am a great Getz fan and collector. Can you list the tracks Would like to check them against my Roost 12" albums. Thanks

25. Stan Getz Quartet - Vogue LD 009
    2-1 Sweetie Pie 2:31
    2-2 Yesterdays 2:47
    2-3 Hershey Bar 2:37
    2-4 Gone With The Wind 2:56
    2-5 Tootsie Roll 2:10
    2-6 Strike Up The Band 2:31
    2-7 Imagination 2:25
    2-8 For Stompers Only 2:50
    2-9 Yvette 2:57
    2-10 Potter's Luck 2:42
    2-11 Penny 2:51