The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Hand (MMBST-84019)

Baritone Saxophone – Pepper Adams
    Bass – Sam Jones
    Drums – Art Taylor
    Piano – Walter Davis Jr.
    Tenor Saxophone – Charlie Rouse
    Trumpet – Donald Byrd

Just gave this 2LP 45 RPM Music Matters release a proper cleaning and ripped it this morning. It was a good way to start off a Saturday as I keep my "social distance" in check.

2. Thanks. Found them all. Track 2-1 to 2-17 are also on the japanese 2 LP set "The Stan Getz Quartet- the complete Roost sessions"
    Tracks 2-18 to 2-21 from Roost LP 2209 "Stan Getz at Storyville" (= Vol 1). There is also a Vol. 2 = RoostL P 2225

Here are the front covers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ROOST LP 2225 - Stan Getz at Storyville Vol. 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

Shameless plug for my local record store (which I have no personal connection to), but obviously record stores are going to suffer with the economy slowing to a halt. In Illinois, all non-essential businesses have been closed. Dusty Groove, one of the greatest record stores in America, which focuses on vintage jazz, soul, blues, R&B, funk, and hip-hop records, has a mail delivery service with a huge catalog. If you're looking to support record stores who are struggling right now, I think this is a great opportunity to do so. Especially if you live in a state that's shut down, this is the best we can do in supporting independent record stores.

Jazz, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, R&B, Latin, Brazil & more LPs, CDs, Vinyl Records, Albums, & 45s New & Used

AaronW and JazzcornerND like this.
  5. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Just a quick one, can anyone vouch for the ORG reissue of Ayler/Cherry's Vibrations? Originals aren't super expensive but I'd rather save the hassle and go for a clean new one if it was done well.

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

ARCHIE SHEPP / LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO / IMPULSE / 1966 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING AS-9118 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Live in San Francisco" is one of those albums that is probably much better known for its (admittedly stellar) cover than for its music. There is something about the Quintet sitting on the stairs on sunset while two curious boys watching the scene. I could watch it for hours.

The music is somewhere between "For for Trane" and "Fire Music"; Shepp hadn't taken the final step towards Free Jazz (as found on the first half of "Mama Too Tight") yet.

I'm not a big fan of Shepp's spoken word interlude, but fortunately that makes just for a fraction of the total playing time. The other tunes are all the "usual" high quality, dense Avantgarde compositions that all bear that immediately recognizable Shepp handwriting.

7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Spirit & Time

[​IMG]

8. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

MJQ ~ Live at the Lighthouse
    Atlantic, 1967/1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

10. [​IMG]

Sweet Lovely - DAVID MURRAY TRIO (Black Saint) CD

Bass –
    Fred Hopkins
    Drums – Steve McCall
    Tenor Saxophone – David Murray

Recorded December 4 & 5, 1979 at Barigozzi Studios, Milano.

[​IMG]

Morning Song - David Murray Quartet (Black Saint) CD
    Recorded 25,26,30 September 1983 at Vanguard Studios, New York, NY.

I need to listen to both these albums again but on one hearing the Trio recording 'Sweet Lovely' is a very challenging listen compared to the more accessible and interesting Quartet record.

Marzz, brimuchmuze, Plinko and 5 others like this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Some of Stan's early work I wasn't a big fan of but I really like this one, great horn work. :edthumbs:

JazzcornerND likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

I Want To Talk About You - DAVID MURRAY QUARTET (Black Saint) CD LP sleeve above courtesy London Jazz Collector
    Recorded LIVE - March 1, 1986 at Charlie's Tap, Boston, MA. Mastered at PhonoComp, Tribiano - Milano

13. [​IMG]
    The Hill - DAVID MURRAY TRIO (Black Saint) CD

Bass –
    Richard Davis
    Drums / Vibraphone [Vibes] – Joe Chambers
    Tenor Saxophone / Bass Clarinet – David Murray

Recorded November 29, 1986 at Sound Ideas Studios, New York / Mastered at PhonoComp, Tribiano-Milano

This might well be the pick of the four David Murrray albums I have listened to today.

Marzz, brimuchmuze, Plinko and 4 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    A Sanctuary Within - David Murray Quartet (Black Saint) CD
    Recorded 13, 14 December 1991 at Barigozzi Studio, Milano, Italy.

[​IMG]

BODY AND SOUL - DAVID MURRAY QUARTET (Black Saint) CD

Bass –
    Wilber Morris
    Drums – Rashied Ali
    Piano – Sonelius Smith
    Tenor Saxophone – David Murray
    Vocals – Taana Running (1 track only)

Recorded on February 11 & 12, 1993 at Sear Sound, New York. Mastered at PhonoComp, Tribiano - Milano

Two more notable David Murray Black Saint albums, both different in approach, and both recommended. The musical direction taken on Body And Soul took me by surprise, especially in light of what was going down on the previous five David Murray titles.

15. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Pony Poindexter - Pony's Express

[​IMG]

Marzz and Jackie P like this.
  16. Roberta Gambarini 4tet live

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cds23

BILLY PARKER'S FOURTH WORLD / FREEDOM OF SPEECH / STRATA-EAST / 1974 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING SES-19754 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billy Parker remains a mystery - not much is known about the drummer. A blogger dug deeper into the life of Parker and learned that he was a music teacher who didn't stay very long in the recording business, as this release was his first and - please correct me if I'm wrong - only notable album as a leader, making it all the more special. In my view and to my taste "Freedom of Speech" is the best Strata-East has to offer next to Shamek Farrah's "First Impressions". It is a dense mix of Soul Jazz, Modal Jazz and Funk that has an organic quality, as no track seems to break the mood. Still, "Get With It" had the potential of being a hit, though I have serious doubts it ever got played on mainstream FM.

Needless to say the line-up is jaw-droppingly great, with the more than reliable quality of Cecil McBee on bass, who is - once again - the secret star on this album. His basslines, his articulation and tone - all those qualities are unique. Listen to "Home" - McBee's bass has such a direct, almost aggressive quality.
    Donald Smith, the (almost unknown) brother of Lonnie Liston, wrote and also sang on the opener and does a beautiful job.

Unfortunately this album has not been reissued very often - apart from two japanese LP repressings, the album has only once been reissued on CD (also in Japan as a Mini LP). Recently, Pure Pleasure put out a reissue as part of their Strata-East series. I had the opportunity to listen to it several times and think it sounds absolutely fine. It doesn't sound as clear and direct as the original pressing, but the latter commands steep collector money.

pressureworld, Marzz, Plinko and 3 others like this.
  18. [​IMG] [​IMG]

WINDWARD PASSAGES - DAVID MURRAY with DAVE BURRELL (Black Saint) CD - remastered edition issued 2013

Loved this album on first hearing. It includes originals, two John Coltrane and one Jelly Roll Morton composition.

19. fingerpoppin

Cassandra Wilson - Blue Light Till Dawn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Horace Tapscott Quintet - The Giant is Awakened

[​IMG]

21. [​IMG]

THE COMPLETE FONTANA ALBUMS (1961-1969) - TUBBY HAYES (Fontana) 13 CD boxset

Contents:
    CD1: Tubbs (1961)
    CD2: Equation In Rhythm / Palladium Jazz Date * (A side: Southern Routes Pts. 1 & 2, B side: Tubby Hayes’ Palladium Jazz Date tracks) + Sally/I believe In You (single) (1961 & 1962)
    CD3: Tubbs In N.Y. (1961)**
    CD4: Return Visit! (1962)
    CD5: Late Spot At Scott's (1962)**
    CD6: Down In The Village (1962)
    CD7: Tubbs' Tours (1964) + previously unreleased bonus material
    CD8 & CD9: 100% Proof (1967) + previously unreleased bonus disc
    CD10: Mexican Green (1967) previously unreleased bonus material
    CD11 & 12: Grits, Beans And Greens (Complete sessions) (1969)
    CD13: The Orchestra (1970)
    **Mono
    This is probably the best box set I have bought in a long time. It is attractively presented and each disc in it is packaged in seperate inner and outer quality cardboard sleeves. The music is, as expected, top notch and the MQA remastering really brings out the best sound from the tapes. I have listened to all the titles a few times now and am very happy with all the albums. Just the other day I listened to the first six or seven discs back to back and enjoyed every single minute of the lengthy session - it was just so very enjoyable and totally addictive!
    Apart from 'Late Spot At Scott's' all other titles were previously unknown to me - making this boxset an irresistible purchase. As a bonus there is also a 150 page booket covering in great detail Jazz in London in the 1960s - followed by an in-depth discography information on each track selection.

Marzz, fingerpoppin and Berthold like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. [​IMG]

THE COMPLETE REMASTERED RECORDINGS ON BLACK SAINT AND SOUL NOTE - GEORGE LEWIS - 5CD Boxset - CamJazz

An extraordinary (and probably underestimated selection). All these albums are terrific with 'SHADOWGRAPH', 'THE IMAGINARY SUITE' and 'HOMAGE TO CHARLES PARKER' in particular having the capability to transport the listener to other worldly locations / imaginary dimensions. These recordings do sound more odd than what I might usually listen to but I also found they have a very relaxing vibe about them - maybe even more so now we all live in these strange and unsettling times. I really was taken by surprise by how much pleasure there is to be experienced listening to these very unique/odd sounding recordings.

The other two records 'CHANGE OF THE SEASON (The Music Of Herbie Nichols) ' and 'DUTCH MASTERS' - with main credit going to Misha Mengelberg are also both very engaging albums and well worth having.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  24. fingerpoppin

Marzz, AaronW, frightwigwam and 6 others like this.
  25. cds23

HAROLD LAND QUINTET / THE PEACE-MAKER / CADET / 1968 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING W4RS-5127 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can‘t tell you how long I‘ve been looking for a copy of this record. I almost gave up after missing out on a promotional copy in great shape. And then I found this sealed copy - it‘s quite special to know you‘re the first to drop a needle on a 52 year old record. No ringwear, but the cover is slightly bowed - sealed covers will not necessarily look better than unsealed ones that were placed in protective sleeves. Anyway, I won‘t complain, it sounds, looks and feels great.

Now a quote from the liner notes from the recent „Topology“ reissue:

Of course Jazz musicians were not immune to the social and sonic revolutions of the era and in late 1967 Land recorded an album for Cadet Records, the jazz imprint on the legendary Chess Records. 'The Peacemaker' album was an important marker for Land in that not only did it introduce him to vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson, it also became regarded by some as a key album in the jump between the mid-60s swinging modal-bop sound and socially conscious afro-spiritual jazz that was to follow in the late 60s and early 70s. Thematically and musically, it posted a way forward for Land, both as a player and composer; all but one of the tracks was written by Land and the album's line-up included Buster Williams on bass, Joe Sample on keys, Donald Bailey on drums, and Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. And it was with Hutcherson that Land was to embark on the next phase of his musical search." - Tony Higgins, Liner Notes for the reissue of "Topology" by Makoto Terashita feat. Harold Land, Spring 2019.