The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

charlesp, NorthNY Mark, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

charlesp, Marzz, fingerpoppin and 5 others like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Wednesday Wayne #4 — I found this 70’s UK pressing at a local store late last year, recorded in 1967 but released two years later . . .

[​IMG]
    1969/1977 Blue Note ‎– BNS 40026

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Wednesday Wayne #5 — changing it up a little, the collaboration with Milton Nascimento — laid-back vibes, perfect for a sunny afternoon . . .

[​IMG]
    1975/2015 Columbia ‎– PC 33418, Speakers Corner Records ‎– PC 33418

charlesp and fingerpoppin like this.
  5. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ROARIN' - THE NEW DON RENDELL QUINTET (BGP) CD Ace 2004 remaster
    with
    Alto Saxophone –
    Graham Bond
    Bass – Tony Archer
    Drums – Phil Kinorra
    Piano – John Burch
    Tenor Saxophone – Don Rendell

Four of the seven tracks are originals, three are covers - Thelonious Monk's Blue Monk, Miles Davis' So What, and Duke Pearson's Jeanine. Recorded in London, June 17 and August 29, 1961 and originally released on a Jazzland LP in 1961.

[​IMG]

* The copyrights to these sound recordings are owned by Fantasy, Inc and are licensed to Ace Records.

I just heard this title for the first time yesterday and have to say I was totally blown away by how good it all was.

** Respect to cds23 for posting info about this great album (somewhere up-thread) otherwise I would never have picked up a copy.

Marzz likes this.
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

CHARLES TOLLIVER - MUSIC INC. / LIVE IN TOKYO / STRATA-EAST / 1973 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING SES-19745

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles Tolliver became known to a wider audience through his collaboration on Jackie McLeans mid- to late 60's Blue Note output.

In 1968 he was a member of the Max Roach group with Stanley Cowell and Gary Bartz - "Members, don't get weary" was a definite departure from the hard bop Roach had so famously cultivated with Clifford Brown and Harold Land. And it would give an idea of where Tolliver and Cowell were heading from now on.

In 1971 Tolliver founded the Strata-East label with his friend Stanley Cowell; a label as a vehicle for uncompromised artisitic vision. Tolliver and Cowell also released several of their own albums on Strata-East, among them (under the name "Music Inc.) "Live at Slugs (1 & 2), "Live at Loodsrecht", the pictured album "Live in Tokyo" and several studio albums with the quartet being backed by a full sized orchestra.

Tolliver's Music Inc. isn't the most adventurous act of the Strata East family. The music is neither exceptionally afro-centric nor completely "free" but mostly rooted in post-bob and modal jazz - which is not to say that the quartet isn't influenced by or doesn't incorporate elements of the former styles, but the mid to late 60's are prevalent.

Music Inc. demonstrate remarkable technique and inspired improvisation. What at first seems to be yet another "Round Midnight" cover, is a ferocious rendition with little to no resemblance to what we have come to know by Monk or Miles. "Drought" and "Effi" are testaments to the compositional talent of Tolliver and Cowell. Usually I don't care much for group settings with the trumpet as the sole brass instrument - contrary to classic quartets fronted by a saxophone (all is relative though, as I would hardly sit through an entire Sonny Stitt album; his talent in all respect, his music sounded very uniform in my opinion). The trumpet - most of the time - misses that "cry" I find with most of my favourite sax players. But in this case, the rhythm section is more than just supporting Tolliver. They actually "do" most of the music and they do it in style - you definitely won't miss a saxophone. And Tolliver actually has that relentless energy, as documented right at the beginning of "Drought".

Marzz, fingerpoppin and Starwanderer like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see any of the images...

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

9. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Wallace Roney - Village
    Piano – Geri Allen
    • Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes] – Chick Corea (tracks: 8)
    • Saxophone [Tenor Saxophone] – Antoine Roney (tracks: 2, 5, 6, 7, 9)
    • Bass - Clarence Seay

[​IMG]

Tracklist
    1 Affinity - 7:45
    2 Inner Urge 4:24
    3 I Love You 8:51
    4 The Pharoah 6:51
    5 Aknaaba 4:34
    6 Village 6:20
    7 Eternal One 6:05
    8 EBO 10:00
    9 Oshirike 5:23

Mugrug12, Marzz and Starwanderer like this.
  10. cds23

Thanks Hans, for some reason the picture host I chose isn't compatible. I'll reupload the images and repost in a minute.

11. cds23

I hope the pictures are visible now...

CHARLES TOLLIVER - MUSIC INC. / LIVE IN TOKYO / STRATA-EAST / 1973 / US FIRST STEREO PRESSING SES-19745

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charles Tolliver became known to a wider audience through his collaboration on Jackie McLeans mid- to late 60's Blue Note output.

In 1968 he was a member of the Max Roach group with Stanley Cowell and Gary Bartz - "Members, don't get weary" was a definite departure from the hard bop Roach had so famously cultivated with Clifford Brown and Harold Land. And it would give an idea of where Tolliver and Cowell were heading from now on.

In 1971 Tolliver founded the Strata-East label with his friend Stanley Cowell; a label as a vehicle for uncompromised artisitic vision. Tolliver and Cowell also released several of their own albums on Strata-East, among them (under the name "Music Inc.) "Live at Slugs (1 & 2), "Live at Loodsrecht", the pictured album "Live in Tokyo" and several studio albums with the quartet being backed by a full sized orchestra.

Tolliver's Music Inc. isn't the most adventurous act of the Strata East family. The music is neither exceptionally afro-centric nor completely "free" but mostly rooted in post-bob and modal jazz - which is not to say that the quartet isn't influenced by or doesn't incorporate elements of the former styles, but the mid to late 60's are prevalent.

Music Inc. demonstrate remarkable technique and inspired improvisation. What at first seems to be yet another "Round Midnight" cover, is a ferocious rendition with little to no resemblance to what we have come to know by Monk or Miles. "Drought" and "Effi" are testaments to the compositional talent of Tolliver and Cowell. Usually I don't care much for group settings with the trumpet as the sole brass instrument - contrary to classic quartets fronted by a saxophone (all is relative though, as I would hardly sit through an entire Sonny Stitt album; his talent in all respect, his music sounded very uniform in my opinion). The trumpet - most of the time - misses that "cry" I find with most of my favourite sax players. But in this case, the rhythm section is more than just supporting Tolliver. They actually "do" most of the music and they do it in style - you definitely won't miss a saxophone. And Tolliver actually has that relentless energy, as documented right at the beginning of "Drought".

Marzz, Don P., Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    Buddy's Best - THE BUDDY COLLETTE QUINTET (Boplicity/Dootone) CD - 2013 Ace remaster
    The CD includes one extra bonus track not on original 1957 Dootone LP - Soft Touch (take 5). The disc comes packaged in cardboard gatefold sleeve digipak and includes an 8 page booklet.

"In 1955 he was a founder member of the Chico Hamilton group, a mixed-race outfit which fell into the “cool school” that typified the West Coast scene. Collette’s reed playing was a key factor in the sound of the group, leading to offers for him to record under his own name. His Dootone album, “Buddy’s Best”, is the least well-known of these sessions. Collette’s reputation may have suffered due to his unwillingness to tour, but his records work as the perfect riposte." - from Ace sleeve notes

A lost gem of West Coast jazz by one of the most underrated tenor players".

[​IMG]

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They are, thanks. I have the Mosaic Select, which includes the Tokyo album and both volumes of the Live at Slug's sessions.

14. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

Finishing up a rough day with Grant Green....

[​IMG]

Marzz, Don P., Starwanderer and 4 others like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FREE FALL - JIMMY GIUFFRE (Columbia/Legacy) - REMIXED & REMASTERED (1998)
    with
    Jimmy Giuffre (clarinet), Paul Bley (piano), Steve Swallow (bass)

Recorded 1962

*The 1998 Columbia/Legacy CD IncludeS 5 extra tracks.

18. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE BASIE BUNCH | COOL TOO (Vanguard JAZZ SHOWCASE) CD (1999 remaster)

"After 40 years of jazz being "hot", these Basie sidemen wanted to be identified with the new "cool" sound. These 50s titles, recorded by John Hammond, include several featuring trumpet soloists Emmett Berry, Buck Clayton and Vic Dickenson."

A tasty 12 track selection compiled from the following hard to find or deleted Vanguard LPs.

Joe Newman and His Band (VRS 8007) - 1954
    The Jo Jones Special (VRS 8503) - 1957
    A Night at Count Basie's (VRS 8508) - 1956
    Buckin' the Blues (VRS 8514) - 1956
    Jo Jones Plus Two (VRS 8525) - 1958

Various - The Count Basie Bunch: Cool Too

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    fingerpoppin, Don P. and Starwanderer like this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

20. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

He didn’t lead many sessions, but this, his inventive debut is one of the great avant-garde jazz albums and a personal favourite of mine, with an exceptionally talented line-up . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/2010 Blue Note ‎– BST 84153, Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84153
    2 × Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Gatefold – KG&SH@ATI

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

A massive upgrade from my late-80’s DMM pressing.

An album way ahead of its time that still sounds modern and contemporary even today — a stone-cold masterpiece and one of my very favourite Blue Note albums.

Oh, and there’s some 18 year old kid named Tony Williams playing the drums!

[​IMG]
    1964/2009 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84163, Blue Note ‎– BST 84163
    2 × Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Remastered, Stereo — KG&SH@ATM

23. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

How is this still in stock over on the Music Matters website?!

Sprinkle a little hard-bop and post-bop, a touch of the blues and a good dollop of the avante-garde into a mixer and you get this masterpiece debut from Sam Rivers.

Note, Tony Williams again on the drums — jeez, that boy could play!

[​IMG]
    1965/2011 Blue Note ‎– BST 84184, Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST 84184
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG@ATM

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man