The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE
    - MEL POWELL
    (Vanguard|JAZZ SHOWCASE) CD

A compilation showcasing the Vanguard recordings of Mel Powell. This one features 17 tracks selected from the following 4 deleted Vanguard LPs

OUT ON A LIMB (circa 1956) -
    Mel Powell (piano), Ruby Braff (trumpet), Skeeter Best (guitar), Oscar Pettiford (bass), Bobby Donaldson (drums)

THIGAMAGIG (1955) -
    Mel Powell (piano), Ruby Braff (trumpet), Bobby Donaldson (drums)

THE MEL POWELL BANDSTAND featuring JOAN WILE (1956) -
    Mel Powell (piano), John Glasel (trumpet), Jimmy Buffington (French horn), Mundell Lowe (guitar), Joe Kay (bass), Chuck Russo (clarinet, bass clarinet, alto & baritone sax), Eddie Phyfe (drums), Joan Wile (vocalist)

MEL POWELL SEPTET (1953) 10" - M
    el Powell (piano), Edmund Hall (clarinet), Buck Clayton (trumpet), Henderson Chambers (trombone), Steve Jordan (guitar), Walter Page (bass), Jimmy Crawford (drums)

*CD playing time - 62 minutes

Fischman likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I usually don't like "jazz with organ" (and that's putting it mildly), but I do like this album.

SJR likes this.
  3. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

I have but a handful of MMJ, but this was my first. I had the BN75 and put it on and I could not believe that I did not send that one back due to it being warped. Anyway, somehow I stumbled upon the MMJ sight and saw the 33 for $45 and why not. I did not regret that decision. Got Duke playing now.

[​IMG]

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I know some people don't like jazz organ, but on this one the organ compliments the other players so well you hardly notice it as it's not blaring front and centre. I am quite partial to some jazz organ albums, especially the more funkier ones.

Don P. likes this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Innovative textual free-jazz song structures from pianist Cecil Taylor, backed by crack rhythm section, on his second session for Blue Note — if you’re not a fan of free-jazz, look away now . . .

[​IMG]
    1966/1973 Blue Note ‎– BST 84260

6. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Starwanderer, Don P. and Jazzmonkie like this.
  8. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

9. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

10. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

BENNY GOLSON / NEW YORK SCENE / CONTEMPORARY / 1957 / US FIRST MONO PRESSING C3552 LP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Benny Golson has produced quite a lot of good albums, but I feel his debut "New York Scene" on Contemporary is his best.

"Whisper Not" played by the nonet remains my favourite version of Golson's most famous composition. I am really not a concert guy, so I missed Benny Golson last year. Sure, would have been fun and I could have had my albums signed by Mr. Golson, but there is something about going to concerts I just can't stand.

One last thing: the quality of the recording. It is still astonishing how much clarity and dynamic range Roy DuNann and Howard Holzer were able to transmit to tape, especially so early on when most recordings were a mixed bag, often laying focus on the leader while blurring out the the rest.

11. [​IMG]

FOR THE EARS - SIR CHARLES THOMPSON AND THE HAWK (Vanguard | JAZZ SHOWCASE) CD [24-bit remaster]

Sir Charles Thompson & Coleman Hawkins - For The Ears

A smooth sounding 12 track compilation with music selected from three Vanguard 10" LPs. The package also includes a 16 page booklet.

3 of the 4 tracks the LP Sir Charles Thompson Sextet are included

[​IMG]
    SIR CHARLES THOMPSON SEXTET
    (1953)
    with -
    Sir Charles (piano), Pete Brown (alto sax), Joe Newman (trumpet), Benny Powell (trombone), Gene Ramey (bass), Osie Johnson (drums)

All 5 tracks from this 10" LP are included
    [​IMG]
    Sir Charles Thompson and his Band featuring Coleman Hawkins (1954)

with - Sir Charles (piano), Coleman Hawkins (tenor sax), Emmett Berry (trumpet), Benny Morton (trombone), Earl warren (alto sax), Steve Jordan (guitar), Aaron Bell (bass), Osie Johnson (drums)

...and 4 out of on the 6 tracks on this Trio album are also included.
    [​IMG]
    Sir Charles Thompson Trio (1956)

with - Sir Charles (piano), Aaron Bell (bass), Skeeter Best (guitar)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. Another CD issued by Vanguard as part of John Hammond's Jazz Showcase series that should appeal to all keyboard lovers.

[​IMG]

KEY ONE UP - Various Artists (Vanguard) (Vanguard|JAZZ SHOWCASE) CD [24-bit remaster]

Bobby Henderson (2), Sir Charles Thompson Quartet, Ray Bryant, Jo Jones - Key One Up

A 16 track compilation that includes 7 of the 10 tracks from the 1957 LP
    [​IMG]
    Handful Of Keys - BOBBY HENDERSON PLAYS FATS WALLER - Bobby Henderson (
    solo, piano)

plus all 4 tracks that originally appeared on the 1954 LP
    [​IMG]
    Sir Charles Thompson Quartet - Sir Charles Thompson Quartet

with - Sir Charles Thompson (piano), Walter Page (bass), Freddie Green (guitar), Jo Jones (drums)

plus 5 selections from the 1958 10 track LP
    [​IMG]
    JO JONES PLUS TWO - THE JO JONES TRIO (1958)

with - Ray Bryant (piano), Tommy Bryant (bass) & Jo Jones (drums)

Tim 2, fingerpoppin and Don P. like this.
  13. Jossy Joss

Jossy Joss New Member

14. [​IMG]

It's been so long - Mel Powell (Vanguard /JAZZ SHOWCASE) CD [1999 remaster]

This is a great one! There are 16 tracks in total. 3 tracks) are taken from the 5 track 1953 album
    MEL POWELL SEPTET

[​IMG]
    with
    Mel (piano), Edmund Hall (clarinet), Bick Clayton (trumpet), Henderson Chambers (trombone), Steve Jordan (guitar), Walter Page (bass), Jimmy Crawford (drums)

One track was selected from 1954 10" LP THE MEL POWELL BANDSTAND
    [​IMG]
    with Mel (piano), John Glasel (trumpet), Jimmy Buffington (french horn), Mundell Lowe (guitar), Joe Kay (bass), Chuck Rosso (clarinet, alto & baritone sax), Eddie Phyfe (?), drums

All 7 tracks from the 1954 album Borderline - Mel Powell Trio are included

[​IMG]
    with Mel (piano), Paul Quinichette (tenor sax), Bobby Donaldson (drums)

and finally there are 5 tracks from the 12 track mid 50s LP Mel Powell Out On A Limb

[​IMG]

with Mel (piano), Al Mattaliano (trumpet), Michael "Peanuts" Hucko (clarinet), Nick Caiazza (tenor sax), Tommy Kay (guitar), Arnold Fishkin (bass), Bobby Donaldson (drums)

Berthold and Fischman like this.
  15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 x 2 RUBY AND ELLIS PLAY RODGERS AND HART (Vanguard JAZZ SHOWCASE) CD

RUBY BRAFF (trumpet) & ELLIS LARKINS (piano).

A beautiful sounding recording, released on a Vanguard LP in 1956 and featuring 12 well known Rodgers & Hart standards.

ALAN SICHERMAN likes this.
  16. [​IMG]

Disc 5 from the great (and authentic) value for money 5 ORIGINAL ALBUMS boxset.

[​IMG]

THE WAY AHEAD - ARCHIE SHEPP (Impulse!) CD

with
    Archie Shepp (tenor sax), Jimmy Owens (trumpet), Grachan Moncur III (trombone), Walter Davis Jr. (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Beaver Harris / Roy Haynes (drums).

Recorded 1968. This CD edition includes two lengthy extra tracks that were both also issued on Archie Shepp's 1969 album KWANZA.

17. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

18. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

19. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

20. Bell BLR 84 007 - Ray Brown & Laurindo Almeida " Moonlight Sererenade" - rec. February 1981 - Engineer: Carlos Albrecht

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Prestige LP 7055 [OJC CD reissue Japan] - "Clifford Brown Memorial" Tadd Dameron Orchestra feat. Clifford Brown - rec. June & September 1953 - Engineer: Doug Hawkins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Pat Metheny Group: Offramp (Japanese hybrid SACD)

[​IMG]

I finished listening to the newer Metheny album, From This Place, and desperately needed to revisit this classic from 1982 to remind myself that this was a period when he still was writing music that I was moved by and enjoyed immensely, but I contribute a lot of his success to having surrounded himself with some brilliant musicians like Lyle Mays, Steve Rodby, Naná Vasconcelos, etc.

Don P. likes this.
  23. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

24. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...one of my favorite “take to the grave” albums is Stan Getz with Laurindo Almeida. I need to check this out. Thank you!! :cool::thumbsup:

frightwigwam and Tim 2 like this.
  25. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette: s/t

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An incredible album of aural beauty. No egos involved here --- just gorgeous music-making.