The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Because of your post I am giving the SACD a spin right now. Now I remember why I don't play this more often and why I haven't bought any of her releases since this once. I just find this release to be so pretentious with pseudo intellectual nonsense, musically and lyrically. I have everything she released before this and have seen her in concert. She's just not for me anymore, I guess?

2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I've been off and on her music in general for years. For me, I think it's more of a mood thing.

3. Electric

Can't complain about the sound quality, though.

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk "You say you'll change the constitution"

That's too bad but it happens to me with some artists as well. I love all the MFSL SACD albums a lot but I'm so so with the later albums I have.

5. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Is My Occupation

[​IMG]

Jazz in Paris | MODERN JAZZ on the left bank (EmArcy/Universal)

3CDs in a sturdy box, all with individual cardboard sleeves - small booklet with recording details included.

CD 1 (1958)
    JAZZ SUR SEINE - BARNEY WILEN
    with Milt Jackson, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke & Gana M'Bow

CD 2 (1955)
    MODERN JAZZ AU CLUB SAINT-GERMAIN - BOBBY JASPAR
    with Rene Urteger, Sacha Distel, Benoit Quersin & Jean-Louis Viale

CD 3 (1955)
    CHET BAKER QUARTET PLAYS STANDARDS
    with Gerard Gustin, Jimmy Bond & Bert Dahlander

These discs are all so good. I couldn't resist listening to them all back to back. The music is superb, as is the sound quality. This box is a great way to pick up 3 very cool CDs in one go - only problem is the box may now be deleted.

JazzcornerND and Berthold like this.
  6. Electric

At least with someone like David Byrne, and Patricia Barber, their earlier releases at least, mostly knew how to rein in the jam-packed cleverness. Verse just tries way too hard, IMO.

7. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Forum Resident

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
    Ike Quebec, tenor sax; Freddie Roach, organ; Milt Hinton, bass; Al Harewood, drums.

[​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz, JazzFanatic and 9 others like this.
  8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

In anticipation of the Desmond Mosaic (assuming I will get it eventually).
    [​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz, JazzcornerND and 7 others like this.
  9. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Never come across this before, despite being an admirer of Hank Mobley. Will have to investigate.

macdaddysinfo and Glenn coates like this.
  10. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Fusion Friday . . .

Miles Davis ~ Big Fun
    Columbia, 1974

Sessions recorded between 1969 and 1972

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz, macdaddysinfo and 7 others like this.
  11. Jackie P

[​IMG]

Presenting Lee Morgan indeed! - LEE MORGAN (Blue Note) CD - 2007 RVG remaster
    with
    Alto Saxophone –
    Clarence Sharpe
    Double Bass – Wilbur Ware
    Drums – Philly Joe Jones
    Piano – Horace Silver
    Trumpet – Lee Morgan

Originally Recorded on November 4, 1956 at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey and issued on LP with the title PRESENTING LEE MORGAN. CD transfers from analog to digital made at 24-bit resolution.
    Tracks 1-6 originally issued in 1956 as Blue Note BLP 1538. The one bonus track '- an alternate take of 'Little T' was originally issued in 1995 on Mosaic MQ4-162

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    jbg, Berthold, caio vaz and 6 others like this.
  12. Jackie P

13. SJR

SJR Senior Member

14. Jackie P

[​IMG]

Moon Beams - The Bill Evans Trio (Riverside/OJC) CD - 1990 remaster / aka Moonbeams
    with
    Bass – Chuck Israels
    Drums – Paul Motian
    Piano – Bill Evans

Remastered By [Digital Remastering] – Phil De Lancie. Recording for Sound Makers, Inc., New York City 1962

15. jbg

jbg Forum Resident

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. cds23

cds23 Forum Resident

Finally new records, detailed pictures in a bit...

[​IMG]

18. cds23

cds23 Forum Resident

JACKIE MCLEAN / BLUESNIK / BLUE NOTE / 1961 / US FIRST MONO PRESSING BN 4067 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The earliest of Jackie McLean's albums I really dig from start to finish - though still a hard bop effort through and through, Jackie's playing is as intense as on his later avantgarde albums. The title "Bluesnik", of course, refers to the fact that all tracks - all original compositions by the way - are deeply rooted in the blues. And with no ballads but only hard-hitting tunes (Pete La Roca!) keeps your attention up to the last second.

Berthold, fingerpoppin, SJR and 3 others like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Senior Member

Sneezyachew, fingerpoppin and J.A.W. like this.
  20. Jackie P

Disc 4 from
    PROMISE KEPT: THE COMPLETE ARTISTS HOUSE RECORDINGS - 5CD boxset

[​IMG]

Stardust - ART PEPPER (Omnivore/Widow's Taste) CD - 2019 remaster
    with
    Art Pepper (alto sax & clarinet), George Cables (piano), Charlie Haden (bass), Billy Higgins (drums) - Recorded 1979

Includes all 4 tracks from the delightful Victor LP
    Stardust plus two tracks previously only available on Artists House Sessions: Complete (Widow's Taste download). The CD also includes 4 previously unissued pieces.

I never tire of hearing this delightful album.

[​IMG]

jbg, Soulpope and JazzFanatic like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've listened to parts of this set and, while the music is great, that typical 1970s "rubbery" bass annoys me so much that I decided not to buy the set, at least not now.

22. cds23

cds23 Forum Resident

CECIL MCBEE / MUTIMA / STRATA-EAST / 1974 / FIRST US STEREO PRESSING SES 7117

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The debut as a leader of Cecil McBee, who at the time was already 39 and played on countless dates for Strata-East and Blue Note among other labels, probably has the most challenging (at least to me) opening - a solo bass piece. This 11 minutes lasting track kept me from giving this album a fair chance for far too long - I'm being frank here, I usually don't like solo instrumentation. But repeated listening revealed this piece to be the perfect soundtrack to a horror movie, with McBee altering the mood from mournful to haunting by playing a second (!) bass simultaneously (though it is not fully disclosed if he did so by overdubbing or actually playing both live). I've stated numerous times that McBee is my favourite bassist: his tone, his technique and his apparent refusal to play simple bass lines led me to review every record he's been on in the 60's and 70's. And he doesn't disappoint on this album.
    Once "From Within" ends, "Mutima" becomes the spiritual, free and funky affair you'd expect from someone who has had such an impact on harmonics on so many albums. Well, the title track is an obvious highlight, over 13 minutes long and with every second perfectly executed. The album (except for the opener, of course) ends with my favourite track "Tulsa Black", the funkiest piece of all. A captivating melody, the hornplayers really play their hearts out on this one.
    And while this is an album fronted by a bassist, it sounds well balanced.

Soulpope, fingerpoppin and SJR like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Senior Member

24. cds23

cds23 Forum Resident

NATHAN DAVIS / HAPPY GIRL / SABA / 1965 / FIRST GERMAN STEREO PRESSING SB 15 025 ST LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another debut recording, this time for Nathan Davis. Recorded for SABA in the Black Forest, Villingen in January 1965, with all-star sidemen: Woody Shaw, Larry Young (on piano), Jimmy Woode and Billy Brooks. Davis had decided to stay in France after being discharged from the army, so his early output was exlusively recorded on european labels.

Nathan Davis' music in the 60's wasn't revolutionary. But he did set benchmarks by doing what he did so extremely well - modal jazz, soul jazz, post-bob, whatever the correct terms are, they've all been there for a while, yet Davis blends those ingredients seamlessly to something completely natural sounding. This, of course, thanks to the outstanding support of his sidemen - in particular Woody Shaw, who also contributed with one of his most amazing compositions ("Zoltan" - this version here was recorded earlier than the famous rendition on "Unity" (Blue Note) by Larry Young).

"The Flute In The Blues" is a trio piece, but I had to read the liners to believe it, for Jimmy Woode and Billy Brooks somehow create such a deft and layered sound one would expect to hear from a much bigger formation, but certainly not a flute accompanied by bass and drums. "Evolution" is probably the one track that led all reviewers across the globe to at least mention Coltrane's name once whenever Nathan Davis is concerned. The influence is there, it's obvious, yet Davis has his own personal articulation and the composition is stellar. There's also some Dolphy in the mix, with whom he'd toured Europe before his untimely passing. "Happy Girl" and "Zoltan" are almost 'hits' if you will, especially the latter, in an organ- and Elvin Jones-less rendition which doesn't fall behind the more popular version on "Unity".

"Happy Girl" may not be Davis' absolute best album, but it is definitely among his best - I listened again to "The Hip Walk" the other day, and while it is a great collection of tunes, it feels less diverse and intense to me. "The 6th Sense In The 11th House" on Segue from 1972 (posted here several months ago) is very close to what I'd call a "perfect" album, "Makatuka" (also Segue) may also be up there. And then there is that 3LP of live performances by Nathan Davis in Paris, released for the first time by Sam Records in 2018, which is pretty much indispensable. Let's hope MPS stop reissuing one Oscar Peterson album after the other and start reissuing the stuff people really want: "Happy Girl", "The Hip Walk" and "Live at the Domicile" (with Benny Bailey and Mal Waldron).