The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Charles Mingus
    Mingus at the Bohemia
    Debut OJC, 1956/1995

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Monday Miles — the first album by the 2nd Great Quintet, released August 16, 1965 . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/2014 Impex Records ‎– IMP6018, Columbia ‎– 88725471991

3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Monday Miles #2 — I only recently played this, but it’s one I’ll never tire of.

One of the all-time greats, released August 17, 1959 . . .

[​IMG]
    1959/2013 Columbia ‎– CL 1355, Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP961
    RSD 2013 Black Friday numbered release.

5. JUST RELEASED!

[​IMG]

TO THE EARTH<-------------------------------->DINOSAUR (Edition Records) CD
    Released 2020. CD edition issued in a triple cardboard gatefold sleeve.

For the second time this week I find myself enjoying this very interesting and impressive sounding brand new release from a band that, up until last week, were unknown to me.

ciderglider likes this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have To The Earth and if you are enjoying it I would recommend this to you also. This was my intro to them.

[​IMG]
    Dinosaur – Together, As One
    Label:
    Edition Records ‎– EDN1078
    Format:
    CD, Album
    UK & Europe
    Released:
    23 Sep 2016
    Genre:
    Jazz

Jackie P and ciderglider like this.
  7. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SOLO MASTERPIECES [VOLUME 1 - 4] ART TATUM (Pablo) CDs

Probably the best way to really appreciate pianist Art Tatum's stunning talent is to listen to a number of his recordings - back to back of course!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Campbell Saddler likes this.
  8. Bjshawk1980

Bjshawk1980 Forum Resident

9. Bjshawk1980

10. Bjshawk1980

11. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Love the record especially the first side, never did care for that album cover though.

SJR likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

Let me get another article then.

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

16. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

THE ART TATUM SOLO MASTERPIECES [VOLUME 5 - 8] (Pablo) CDs

It has taken a while but at long last I am getting a lot of pleasure listening to the many styles of Art Tatum. The above albums are the final 4 Volumes in the Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces series. All 8 discs were re-issued in a budget box set (see next post) but I think that is now deleted/unavailable.

Campbell Saddler and Erik B. like this.
  17. [​IMG] [​IMG]

THE SOLO MASTERPIECES - ART TATUM (Pablo) 8 CD boxset

*Discs are housed in two clunky/fatboy style cases and both cases plus a small booklet are presented in a very thin cardboard slipcase/box.

18. [​IMG]

SPORTIN' LIFE - WEATHER REPORT (Sony / Music On CD) CD
    Original LP released 1985.

[​IMG]

Released 35 years ago but only now have I decided to buy a copy of this album! It is much better than I thought it would be, possiby based more on "World Music" type rhythms than Jazz, but that suits me fine, plus I have always had a soft spot for Weather Report as well as Joe Zawinul's own albums.

19. "In the autumn of 1968, a sixteen-year-old boy named Danny Scher had a dream. He wanted to bring Thelonious Monk and his quartet to play a benefit concert at his high school in Palo Alto, California, in order to raise funds for his school and to help bring about racial unity in his community.

Armed with little more than a telephone, a persuasive pitch, an impressive knowledge of jazz and an iron-willed determination, Scher made the concert happen on Sunday, 27 October 1968. The concert was also recorded and lay, forgotten, in the vaults – until now." -
    from Jazz Wise website.

Palo Alto: Previously unknown Thelonious Monk recording to be released on Impulse!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MONK Palo Alto - THELONIOUS MONK (Impulse!) CD
    A historic live recording from 1968 with a playing time of just over 47 minutes. Released 31st July 2020 and almost immediately withdrawn.

The disc was mastered by Seth Foster at Universal and packaged in triple gatefold cardboard sleeve. There is a 16 page booklet included plus a reprint of the original poster that promoted the concert - which is a lovely wee bonus.

[​IMG]

*Amazon UK had very limited numbers of this title back in stock last week so I am very lucky to have spotted that and have a copy delivered within days of placing the order.
    The music is as good as you would expect from Thelonious Monk Quartet and the recording/sound quality is very satisfactory.

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Peter and friends.
    Up next.
    [​IMG]

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

For what its worth:
    https://www.amazon.com/Palo-Alto-Thelonious-Monk/dp/B0898F5144

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

25. [​IMG]

Grits, Beans And Greens - The Lost Fontana Studio Sessions 1969 TUBBY HAYES QUARTET (Fontana) 2 MQA-CD

Recorded at Philips Studios, Stanhope Place, London, Tuesday June 24th 1969. This double disc edition is also included in the 13 MQA-CD box - which also happens to be one of the best box sets released this year.

[​IMG]
    THE COMPLETE FONTANA ALBUMS (1961-1969) - TUBBY HAYES (Fontana) 13 MQA-CD Box

frightwigwam and Bobby Buckshot like this.