The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

New records...finally - thanks to @Parkertown who held on to the records for me for several months. All very first pressings, all in NM/NM condition (the Shamek Farrah and Nathan Davis were even sealed and only opened for transport to prevent seam splits). Detailed pics soon.

[​IMG]

fingerpoppin, Bobby Buckshot and SJR like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy 87th birthday to legendary jazz saxophonist and composer, Wayne Shorter — born August 25, 1933.

One of my absolute favourites — this one is in need of a new reissue.

The line-up on this session is insane! Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone), Freddie Hubbard (trumpet, flugelhorn), Grachan Moncur III (trombone), James Spaulding (alto saxophone), Herbie Hancock (piano), Ron Carter (bass), Joe Chambers (drums) and Alan Shorter (flugelhorn) . . .

[​IMG]
    1966/1994 Blue Note ‎– 29100
    Blue Note Connoisseur Series – Wally/Capitol

3. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Happy 87th birthday Wayne Shorter! This one is my favorite Wayne Shorter album when the others aren’t my favorite Wayne Shorter albums There’s so much to enjoy, so much to take in, and so much to admire in this post-bop gem that it may take some effort and dedication before this one sinks in. Still, the investment of time will pay off. ’Schizophrenia’ was recorded in March ’67 after the recording of Shorter's quartet date ‘Adam’s Apple,’ and in-between ‘Miles Smiles’ and ’Sorcerer’ in terms of his work with the Miles Davis. But it was not released right away, held until May ’69 after Miles had embraced electricity with ‘Files de Kilimanjaro.' While I wasn’t old enough (nor properly potty trained) to know the jazz landscape back then, I’d venture a guess that changing times and commercial pressures might have made the release of a new Wayne Shorter acoustic jazz record a bit less of an event than it might have been only a couple of years prior. It seems even today that this record is rarely mentioned in the same breath as some of Wayne’s “biggies” like ’Speak No Evil’ or ‘Juju.’ So I suppose I’m on a bit of a crusade to open more ears up to this record. The expanded lineup and perhaps the title may make one wary that leans into outwardness. Still, it goes down easier than the edgier ’The All Seeing Eye,’ and at no point does it completely abandon melody. That said, it does embrace more abstract approaches to timing, tonal centers, chord changes, and structures than his early Blue Notes, and this record certainly makes the moniker “adventurous hard-bop” a severe understatement. This is most apparent to my ears when listening to the ballads, which are mesmerizing and push the boundaries of modality in ways that flip all my switches to the on position—this is a record that I want to play again right away whenever I spin it. It’s both deep and accessible. This album also has a massive sound: joining Shorter on the frontline are James Spaulding (alto sax/flute) and Curtis Fuller (trombone), which is a lot of brass muscle. Add Wayne’s Miles bandmates Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, plus drummer Joe Chambers, and you’ve got a formidable group. Great LP!

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Another favourite in celebration of Wayne Shorter’s birthday — I found this 70’s UK pressing at a local store late last year, recorded in 1967 but released two years later . . .

[​IMG]
    1969/1977 (UK) Blue Note ‎– BNS 40026

5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy birthday to jazz musician and composer, Alice Coltrane — born August 27, 1937.

Celebrating this morning by spinning one of her classics . . .

[​IMG]
    1971/1997 Impulse! ‎– IMP-228, Impulse! ‎– AS-9203

fingerpoppin, SteveKn and Jackie P like this.
  6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This morning’s RSD 2020 pick-up — Dizzy Gillespie & Charlie Parker, Live at Town Hall, New York City, NY, June 22, 1945 . . .

[​IMG]
    1945/2020 Premium Cool Records ‎– PMC3001
    Limited edition of 1,200 on opaque, marbled gold vinyl in a gatefold jacket.

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

A timely RSD 2020 release . . .

Happy 100th birthday Charlie “Bird” Parker — born August 29, 1920 . . .

[​IMG]
    1952/53 /2020 Blue Note ‎– 0866903 (KPG@CA)

8. cds23

JOTHAN CALLINS AND THE SOUNDS OF TOGETHERNESS / WINDS OF CHANGE / TRIUMPH / 1975
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jothan Callins was a bassist and former disciple of Sun Ra who, for his first and only (privately pressed) album as a leader, picked up the trumpet. I'd like to point out @Bill Hart 's excellent review of this album on his TheVinylPress site (Jothan Callins- Winds of Change - The Vinyl Press ). His observations are pretty much in line with mine. Let's hope this album gets reissued one day.

frightwigwam and fingerpoppin like this.
  9. Weekend listening sorted!

[​IMG]

TWO NOT ONE WARNE MARSH & LEE KONITZ (Storyville) 4CD Box
    with
    Warne Marsh (tenor sax), Lee Konitz (alto sax), Ole Kock Hansen (piano), Dave Cliff (guitar), Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen / Peter Ind (bass), Alex Riel / Sven-Erik Nørregard / Alan Lewitt (drums).

CD 1 - WARNE MARSH - LEE KONITZ QUINTET
    CD 2 - WARNE MARSH - LEE KONITZ QUINTET
    CD 3 - WARNE MARSH - LEE KONITZ QUINTET / WARNE MARSH QUARTET - Lee Konitz is only featured on tracks 4 of the 13 tracks on this disc

CD 4 - WARNE MARSH QUARTET / WARNE MARSH TRIO - Lee Konitz is not featured on any tracks on this disc.

Live & studio sessions recorded at Café Montmartre, Copenhagen & Rosenberg Studio, Copenhagen, Denmark 1975. The small but sturdy boxset was released in 2009 and contains 4 CDs all housed in individual cardboard sleeves plus there's a 16-page booklet. This set contains more than five hours of music, arranged in chronological order. A total of 48 numbers—standards; works by Tristano and some of their own compositions.

10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Bird Lives!

Happy Charlie Parker Centennial.

[​IMG]

JazzcornerND, jbg, Bradd and 4 others like this.
  11. Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

jbg, mike s in nyc, Berthold and 4 others like this.
  14. cds23

CALVIN KEYS / SHAWN-NEEQ / BLACK JAZZ / 1971 / FIRST US STEREO BJ/5 PRESSING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This killer uber-debut -album by Calvin Keys is so addictive, I have to refrain myself from playing it constantly. Electric Piano, bass, drums and flute create something really special here. A note about Owen Marshall, who produced an obscure album of his own that seems almost impossible to find: his flute and hose-a-phone playing is spot on and sets dark overall tone. This album is going to be reissued on vinyl by Real Gone Music - don't miss out.

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It’s the first day of spring, relaxing this morning with some chilled-out vibes . . .

[​IMG]
    1973/2014 Pure Pleasure Records ‎– PPAN CTI6024, CTI Records ‎– PPAN CTI6024

jbg, Bradd, Plinko and 2 others like this.
  16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I also really enjoy this

robertawillisjr likes this.
  17. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Maaassively underrated. A couple of winners right there!

SJR likes this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Latest arrivals . . .

[​IMG]

19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I also have the Louis Armstrong/Oscar Peterson title arriving with these today.

SJR likes this.
  20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Nice. I skipped that one (for now). I might end up having to grab it though!

Morbius likes this.
  21. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BEN WEBSTER meets OSCAR PETERSON (Verve) CD - Master Edition
    Recorded 6th November 1959. Previously released on LP (MG V 8349). 20-bit digital transfer CD issued in triple cardboard sleeve in 1997 with booklet.

[​IMG]

jbg, mike s in nyc, mwheelerk and 3 others like this.
  22. [​IMG] [​IMG]

PERCEPTIONS | DIZZY GILLESPIE + 21 Conducted by GUNTHER SCHULLER | Composed And Arranged by J.J.JOHNSON (Verve) CD

Recorded 1961 and re-issued on CD in gatefold cardboard sleeve in 2018. Playing time is just over 34 minutes. According to the inner sleeve this is a repackaged edition of the 1997 CD reissue.
    I have read many negative reviews about this heavily orchestrated album but I find it to be more likeable and involving the more I listen to it. At times it reminds me in places of Miles Davis Sketches Of Spain. I have no doubt Perceptions is Dizzy Gillespie's most unique recording and certainly deserves much more praise and attention than it generally seems to attract.

frightwigwam and fingerpoppin like this.
  23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Radio and SJR like this.
  24. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

fingerpoppin and SunSon like this.
  25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

So far I like what I have seen.
    Lulu Fall was so charming.
    Pharaoh Sanders sounded good.
    This afternoon I caught Ron Di Salvio, new to me but I liked his set so much I bought the last one of these on Discogs today.

[​IMG]

Radio likes this.