The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Grant Green - The Latin Bit

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

Happy Birthday Sonny! - New Resonance Sonny Rollins release coming out.

SONNY ROLLINS on RESONANCE! Coming November 27th for Record Store Day Black Friday. We're thrilled to announce "Rollins in Holland: The 1967 Studio & Live Recordings," Resonance Records' first archival release from the Saxophone Colossus himself, SONNY ROLLINS. Released in partnership with the Nederlands Jazz Archief, this limited-edition 180g 3LP set (mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, LLC and pressed at RTI) and deluxe 2CD set (out Dec 4) is officially sanctioned by Rollins and is comprised of 3 different previously-unissued performances with bassist Ruud Jacobs and drummer Han Bennink in May of 1967 at VARA Studio 5 in Hilversum, the Arnhem Academy of Visual Arts in Arnhem, and audio from a televised performance at the Go-Go Club in Loosdrecht.

"Rollins in Holland" will include an extensive, over-the-top 100-page CD booklet and 24-page LP insert with a treasure trove of never-before-published photos from the actual performances; essays by Aidan Levy (currently writing a biography of Sonny Rollins for Da Capo Press) and Dutch jazz journalist/producer Frank Jochemsen; also includes a wide-ranging Sonny Rollins interview conducted by producer Zev Feldman, plus an interview Aidan Levy had with Han Bennink and Ruud Jacobs at Ruud's home in 2018.

Sonny Rollins said in his interview, "I’m so happy that Resonance is putting it out because it really represents a take-no-prisoners type of music. That’s sort of what I was doing around that period of time; that was sort of Sonny Rollins then . . . It was very much me. And I loved it and I loved playing with those guys."

We'd like to thank Michael Kurtz and Carrie Colliton at Record Store Day for their continued support in making these releases possible. For more info and to read the full press release visit https://bit.ly/2CZF6yu

JazzcornerND, jbg, Cactus Bob and 4 others like this.
  5. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five
    The Louis Armstrong Story Vol. 1
    Columbia, 1956

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

frightwigwam, jbg, Jackie P and 3 others like this.
  6. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy
    Columbia Promo, 1954

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

juanmanuel, frightwigwam, jbg and 4 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy 90th birthday to the legendary Saxophone Colossus, Sonny Rollins — born September 7, 1930.

A favourite of mine, with Sonny playing alongside Miles Davis’ First Great Quintet . . .

[​IMG]
    1956/2015 Original Jazz Classics ‎– OJC-124, Prestige ‎– LP 7047

frightwigwam, jbg, mwheelerk and 3 others like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

10. Now revisiting a copy of a golden oldie that I bought earlier this year.
    [​IMG]
    WAY OUT WARDELL - WARDELL GRAY (Ace/Boplicity) CD

Artists on these live recordings include - Wardell Gray & Vido Musso (tenor sax), Erroll Garner & Arnold Ross (piano), Red Callender & Harry Babison (bass), Irving Ashby & Barney Kessel (guitar), Vic Dickenson (trombone), Jackie Mills & Don Lamond (drums), Howard McGhee & Ernie Royal (trumpet), Benny Carter (alto sax).

"These 1947 recordings were issued in the wake of West Coast tenor pioneer's untimely death in 1955 and show what a great loss Wardell Gray was to jazz. This is the sound of the bebop revolution brought to Los Angeles." Originally issued as Modern LMP 1204 (1956). Also reissued later on Crown LPs (with different sleeves).

The music was recorded at two of disc jockey Gene Norman's Just Jazz live events. Ace re-issued the CD in remastered sound in 2014 and released it in a gatefold digipak with 8 page booklet. What these tracks lack in high fidelity they make up for in excitement and high quality improvising. Ace Records have made a wonderful job too with the sound.

The LP edition was also re-issued on Crown LPs in 1957 and again in 1962 - both releases were in different sleeves.

[​IMG]
    The Late Great WARDELL GRAY | The Effervescent ERROLL GARNER (Crown) LP - released 1957

[​IMG]

Way out Wardell (Crown) LP - released 1962

JazzcornerND, DTK, Berthold and 2 others like this.
  11. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Never even heard of him. Interesting.

12. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On September 8th 2010, exactly 10 years ago today, the great tenor saxman and flutist Hadley Caliman departed from this mortal coil to join the great gig in the sky. I love & cherish the four albums he recorded as a leader in the seventies, after which a(nother) long period of silence followed. He did return and released another three albums as a (co)leader in the 2000s after (!) being diagnosed with the terminal illness that eventually killed him.

He was a great musician, and the cover art of his Mainstream debut LP portrays him as the real “badass” of a man (meant with all love & respect) mr. Caliman must’ve been in his younger ánd older days.

On the 10th anniversary of his death I just wanted to recommend everyone here to check his music out, or play some in his honor. It’s great, it really is. His playing sometimes reminds me of Coltrane, but that’s just a small part of his style & personality, and it wouldn’t be right to label him as just a “follower of...”.

The in memoriam article below, and his Wikipedia entry, contain just about the only information I have managed to find about him, who he was, who he played/recorded with. If anyone can direct me to more sources (articles, books) I’d really appreciate it.

Jazz saxophonist Hadley Caliman, 78, dies; he was ‘totally focused on the music’

Playing the ‘Celebration’ album (from the compilation CD ‘The Catalyst Years’) to celebrate his life and work.

13. jbg

jbg Senior Member

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy birthday to jazz drummer, the “King of Rhythm” and all-round powerhouse, Elvin Jones — born September 9, 1927.

An integral member of the John Coltrane Quartet, he also lead several bands in the late 1960’s and 1970’s. In celebration, I’m spinning two Music Matters Jazz pressings, both very different to one another — Puttin’ It Together and Genesis (in stock at MMJ website) . . .

[​IMG]
    1968/2011 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST 84282, Blue Note ‎– BST 84282
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG@ATM

[​IMG]
    1971/2011 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84369, Blue Note ‎– BST 84369
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG@ATM

15. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

HENRY FRANKLIN | THE SKIPPER | BLACK JAZZ | 1972 | US FIRST STEREO BJQD/7 PRESSING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Henry Franklin has played with many artists and in different group settings before recording his now classic debut album "The Skipper" on Black Jazz. Between 1971-1975, Franklin was probably the most recorded artist of the Black Jazz roster, found on approximately half of the 20+ releases.
    His debut is an addictive blend of Soul Jazz, Funk, Fusion and Avantgarde elements. It may not have the hit-potential his fantastic second album "The Skipper At Home" had (though "Plastic Creek Stomp" comes close), but it already displays Franklin's fine sense for deep and varied compositions. Please listen to "Beauty And The Electric Tub", which seems to manoeuvre in an infinite bass-line groove loop against which the horns play their solos. It is really intense.
    This album will probably be reissued by Real Gone Music on CD and LP in the next few weeks and I strongly recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in "deep" and funky Jazz.

16. [​IMG]

CHARLIE HADEN | JIM HALL (Impulse!) CD
    A duo session with Charlie Haden (bass) & Jim Hall (guitar) that was recorded live for Jazz Beat at the Montreal International Jazz Festival - 1990.
    The CD was mastered by Mark Wilder and has a playing time of 76 minutes. It was issued in a gatefold cardboard sleeve with 12 page booklet in 2014.

17. CHARLIE HADEN | JIM HALL (Impulse!) CD

I forgot to mention how much I like this very enjoyable, laid back sounding 8 track album. Both the musicianship and recording quality is top notch.

[​IMG]

mcrichley, smilin ed and Berthold like this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm on my 3rd spin of his new one. Excellent.

Alan Braufman: The Fire Still Burns

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and johnnypaddock like this.
  19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

20. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

LUIS GASCA | FOR THOSE WHO CHANT | BLUE THUMB | 1972 | US FIRST STEREO BTS 37 PRESSING

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luis Gasca‘s debut with Joe Henderson on tenor sax, George Cables on piano, Carlos Santana on guitar, Stanley Clark on bass and Lenny White on drums among others. What a great line-up. The music shifts between fusion and latin post-bob, though always leaning more towards the jazz than the rock side - Santana is more accompanying than leading and Joe Henderson gets lots of space to solo and he doesn‘t disappoint (listen to „La Raza“ below).

21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Grant Green - Goin' West

22. [​IMG]

{open book} fred hersh (Palmetto) CD

Recorded JCC Art Center Concert Hall, Seoul, South Korea. Tracks 1-3 and 5-7 were recorded 2017 without an audience in the hall. The 19.34 mintute 'Through The Forest' (track 4) was recorded in concert in the same venue on November 1, 2016.

CD issued 2017 in cardboard gatefold sleeve. The disc was mastered by Mark Wilder.

[​IMG]

I have a number of Fred Hersch solo paino recordings and like them all, but this one in particularly outstanding - perhaps the pick of what is a very fine selection.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  23. [​IMG]

RECORDED AT THE TALLINN JAZZ FESTIVAL | CHARLES LLOYD IN THE SOVIET UNION (Atlantic) CD 24-bit remaster

Bass – Ron McClure / Drums – Jack DeJohnette / Flute – Charles Lloyd / Piano – Keith Jarrett / Tenor Saxophone – Charles Lloyd

Recorded at the International Jazz Festival, "Tallinn 1967", Kalevi Sport Hall, Tallinn, Estonia, U.S.S.R., May 14, 1967.

CD re-issued by Atlantic as part of their Jazz Best Collection 1000 series.

This is a surprisingly good live album. I ended up liking much more than I thought I would.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to this album: