The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Dropping this info here and hadn't seen it elsewhere on the forum. Was excited to learn of the new Chick Corea 'Circulus' CD reissue in Japan, since "Quartet Piece" was previously unavailable on the CD format. However, this reissue sounds to be sourced from a needledrop, rather than a proper tape transfer. Wanted to share the info in case anyone was planning to purchase the CD but already has the album on vinyl. Nice to have "Quartet Piece" on CD regardless, but still a little disappointing. Wonder what the reasoning is behind that decision.

Shimrod likes this.
  2. parman

parman Music Junkie

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Great Sunday morning to all you jazz cats

3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Good to know. Bumping that BN 2-fer LP set closer to the top of the wish list.

fatwad666 likes this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis - At Newport 1955-1975: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4

fingerpoppin, Jackie P and SJR like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Miles Davis
    The Cellar Door Sessions 1970

Box Set, Remastered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description:

These mythical, Washington, DC December dates, released for the first in this impressive six-CD compilation, are an extension of Miles Davis's fusion LP, Live-Evil. Davis's piercing, electronically altered trumpet tones fire up of his young Turks; keyboardist Keith Jarrett, drummer Jack DeJohnette, bassist Michael Henderson , percussionist Airto Moreira, saxophonist Gary Bartz, and guitarist John McLaughlin. Davis's acoustic fans hated the adventurous and extended, jazz-rock excursions of selections like 'Directions', 'What I Say', and 'It's About That Time', but there was no denying the complex interplay and improvisations, especially with Jarrett's rare Fender Rhodes electric piano and organ solos. Sony. 2005.

These mythical, Washington, DC December dates, released for the first in this impressive six-CD compilation, are an extension of Miles Davis's fusion LP, Live-Evil. Davis’s piercing, electronically altered trumpet tones fire up of his young Turks; keyboardist , drummer , bassist , percussionist , saxophonist , and guitarist . Davis's acoustic fans hated the adventurous and extended, jazz-rock excursions of selections like "Directions," "What I Say," and "It's About That Time," but there was no denying the complex interplay and improvisations, especially with Jarrett's rare Fender Rhodes electric piano and organ solos. Bartz's snaky, alto and soprano sax lines are equally astounding in this context, as is McLaughlin's "Hendrixsation" of the jazz guitar tradition. Davis bragged that he could "put together the greatest rock n' roll band you ever heard." He came pretty close to doing just that. --Eugene Holley, Jr.

Track Listings
    Disc: 1
    1. Directions
    2. Yesternow
    3. What I Say
    4. Improvisation #1
    5. Inamorata
    Disc: 2
    1. What I Say
    2. Honky Tonk
    3. It's About That Time
    4. Improvisation #2
    5. Inamorata
    6. Sanctuary
    Disc: 3
    1. Directions
    2. Honky Tonk
    3. What I Say
    Disc: 4
    1. Directions
    2. Honky Tonk
    3. What I Say
    4. Sanctuary
    5. Improvisation #3
    6. Inamorata
    Disc: 5
    1. Directions
    2. Honky Tonk
    3. What I Say
    Disc: 6
    1. Directions
    2. Improvisation #4
    3. Inamorata
    4. Sanctuary
    5. It's About That Time

8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

[​IMG]

Soular Energy...great album!

JazzcornerND, mwheelerk and roverb like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm now listening again to parts of the Fats Waller JSP set below, but, while I acknowledge that he was an important figure, it's just not for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JazzcornerND and Mister Charlie like this.
  10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

12. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

So I guess we’re not going to make you a Soul Jazz fanatic :shh:

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No. I tried several times, though; the organ is a big obstacle but not the only one, I just don't like that kind of jazz.

14. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

You’re not the only one who doesn’t like the organ so don’t feel bad. I, myself, love it but I I know It doesn’t appeal to everyone.

15. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

JOE HENDERSON | PAGE ONE | BLUE NOTE | 1963 | US THIRD STEREO PRESSING BN_8140 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not a very first pressing - those have become ridiculously expensive over the last few years, but a a nice RVG mastered edition with Liberty labels (probably second or third, from 1966-67) and original laminated cover with letter pressed liner notes (which came in shrink; I usually don't remove the shrink wrap, but for those laminated Blue Note covers, I didn't want to have yet another layer of plastic (beneath the obligatory protective sleeve) obscuring this wonderful artwork).

Shimrod, SJR, beatboy1975 and 3 others like this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis & John Coltrane: The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961 Disc 6

fingerpoppin, SJR, J.A.W. and 2 others like this.
  17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Recently received from Sam Records.

It was a misnomer by Barclay to call this record a quintet or provide almost equal billing to Jaspar as only one of the four sessions is a quintet and Jaspar appears on only two of the 10 songs but his name was probably added because he was a better known tenor player than the other tenors.

Berthold, Jackie P and John Fell like this.
  18. cds23

YOSHISABURO _SABU_ TOYOZUMI | MESSAGE TO CHICAGO | NADJA_TRIO RECORDS | FIRST JAPANESE STEREO PRESSING PA_7101 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shimrod likes this.
  19. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Record 2. Somehow never got around to listening to it. An excellent reissue back in the 70s and part of the Savoy Sessions Series.

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

A little Curtis Fuller and company.

[​IMG]

21. cds23

STEVE REID | RHYTHMATISM | MUSTEVIC | 1975 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING MS_1001 LP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Superior Free Funk / Spiritual Jazz album with most compositions contributed by pianist Les Walker. This album is very accessible and will probably please even the most fundamental jazz purists. Universal Sounds / Soul Jazz have reissued this on LP and CD.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew 40th

frightwigwam, fingerpoppin and J.A.W. like this.
  23. From the great looking presentation of the Bitches Brew set to a cheapo Chet Baker Sings sleeve...

[​IMG]

CHET BAKER SINGS AND PLAYS JAZZ STANDARDS (Disky) CD

20 track Euro budget compilation with a playing time of 63 minutes covering various Chet Baker Pacific Jazz recordings.

https://www.discogs.com/Chet-Baker-Chet-Baker-Sings/master/60289

The CD includes all 8 tracks that were on the original Pacific Jazz LP Chet Baker sings

[​IMG]

Chet Baker sings

smilin ed and Berthold like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Chet Baker and his quintet with bobby jaspar (Universal Music Jazz France/Barclay) CD

A fine album - unfortunately also in circulation on secretly issued CD-R format.

The album was also issued on LP as I get Chet in a different sleeve

[​IMG]

smilin ed, Berthold and Bradd like this.
  25. cds23

BARNEY WILEN | BARNEY | RCA| 1959 | FRENCH FIRST MONO PRESSING 430_053

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, this classic concert wasn't issued in it's entirety on vinyl at the time (there is a later japanese LP with the remaining titles from the set, though). I'm trying really hard to think of an album featuring Kenny Dorham that isn't at least above average. This LP is extremely rare and I hit the jackpot, paying $35 for it (usually, this album commands between factor $2000 - $3500). It's not the best french LP album ever recorded, far from it, but it is a great set that deserves a quality reissue, as a box set with 2 or 3 LPs to cover the entire concert. Fred Thomas from Sam Records told me, when I asked him about a possible reissue, that he's been in contact with Sony for years to get the rights to do this album, but to no avail.

Last edited: May 15, 2021