The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bradd likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

SHAKE 'EM UP! - Sidney Bechet (Avid) 2CD

https://www.discogs.com/Sidney-Bechet-Shake-Em-Up/release/7066175

All selections are top notch on this excellent sounding 43 track compilation which features music recorded between 1938 & 1947 by the following artists...

Noble Sissle Swingsters
    Sidney Bechet And His Orchestra
    Port Of Harlem Jazzmen
    Josh White Trio
    The Bechet / Spanier Big Four
    Sidney Bechet's One Man Band
    Sidney Bechet And His New Orleans Feetwarmers
    Art Hodes And His Blue Note Jazzmen
    Joe Sullivan Jazz Quartet
    Bob Wilber's Wildcats
    Sidney Bechet Quartet

Playing time is 76mins + on each disc. There is a 12 page booklet included.

* This is easily the best sounding Avid CD I have heard - it was released before the company re-named themselves Avid Jazz and began releasing poorer sounding pirated music, source from goodness knows where. From that point on I made a point of avoiding all their releases.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Berthold and fingerpoppin like this.
  3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

5. Blue Note [Japan] BNJ 70063 - Hank Mobley " Far away Lands" - rec. 1967 - Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beatboy1975, SJR, John Fell and 2 others like this.
  6. Blue Note BST 84034 - Lee Morgan " Lee-Way" - rec. 1960 - Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Weather Report - The Legendary Live Tapes 1978-1981

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listening to this CD right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chet is back! - CHET BAKER SEXTET (RCA Victor/Legacy) CD

All tracks recorded in Rome at RCA Italiana studios, 1962. CD edition produced and prepared for release by Daniel Baumgarten. 12 page booklet (some of it printed in Italian) is included.

CD reissued (2016) via Sony Music's Jazz Connoisseur series.

On some numbers Chet really gets up and at 'em on this one!

10. Atlas LA27-1023 - Art Pepper " Sideman" (compilation) - rec. 1979 to 1981 - Engineer: James Mooney

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bradd and beatboy1975 like this.
  11. About once a year I revisit this outstanding album...

[​IMG]
    Jazz In Paris | Broken Wing - Chet Baker (Gitanes/EmArcy) CD
    with
    Bass – Jean-François Jenny-Clark / Drums – Jeff Brillinger / Piano – Phil Markowitz / Trumpet & Vocals – Chet Baker

Recorded - Paris, December 28,1978

[​IMG]

CD 24-bit digitally remastered by Alexis Frenkel & Christophe Henault & issued in digipak with 8 page booklet - half in printed in French / the other half in English.

This is an excellent Chet Baker album. The CD inludes two alternate takes (Black Eyes & How Deep Is The Ocean) that were not on the original Sonopresse LP 'Broken Wing'.

[​IMG]

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Miles Davis Bitches Brew Live

frightwigwam, SJR and fingerpoppin like this.
  13. EPIC EPC 450572 2 - Paul Desmons "Pure Desmond" - rec. 1974 -Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

15. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

16. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

17. Sea Breeze Jazz SB-2124 - Blue Wisp Big Band " A Night At The Wisp" - rec. 2002 - Engineer: Bill Gwynn
    Featuring
    John Von Ohlen (dr)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Can't recommend this highly enough. Even if you're only a nominal Brubeck fan. He crossed paths with many of the greats, including Charlie Parker. Aside from that, one of the best music books I've read period. He makes to hear the music ( or want to hear the music) in prose as virtuosic as Dave's playing
    Dave Brubeck

beatboy1975 likes this.
  19. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MILT WARD | MILT WARD AND VIRGO SPECTRUM | TWIN QUEST | 1976 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING 1116 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Really, I've tried to find words for this album that sound somewhat original, but I feel that @Bill Hart has done a magnificent job in describing the music found on this (I will say this much) phenomenal album. Please read his excellent review on "Virgo Spectrum" and interview with Bill Pierce. Except for the few involved musicians that are still among us, he probably knows more about his record than anyone else on this planet does.

Cervelo and beatboy1975 like this.
  20. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

CHARLES ROUSE | TWO IS ONE | STRATA_EAST | 1974 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING SES_19746

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Charlie Rouse's first album after his 11 year stint with Thelonious Monk. Though Rouse does make allusion to his former mentor with the "Two Is One" album title, the music found here stands completely on its own. This is basically Jazz-Funk with elements of Avantgarde Jazz, excellently executed by (to me at least) unknown sessions musicians. This album is supposed to be reissued by Soul Jazz / Universal Sounds.

Cervelo and frightwigwam like this.
  21. KOCH JAZZ 3-6920-2 - The Netherlands Metropole Orchestra feat. Jiggs Wigham " Love Walked In" - rec. 1999 - Engineer: Perry Slyter a.o.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]

Miles Davis at the Fillmore - The Bootleg Series Vol. 3 - Happy Birthday Miles Davis - R.I.P.

24. Dallas Jazz Orchestra No Cat# - Galen Jeter & The Dallas Jazz Orchestra " Romeo & Juliet" - reec. 1989 - Engineer: Byron Parka

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Beatles by Basie...odd song choices in some cases, but nicely orchestrated by Basie's unmistakable sound. Ringo writes on the back cover.

frightwigwam, beatboy1975 and JakeM like this.