The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Chillin’ with Grant Green on this Sunday mornin’ — recorded June 4, 1961 . . .

[​IMG]
    1962/2019 Slow Down Sounds ‎– SDS-84099, Blue Note ‎– ST-84099

smilin ed, Ant G, Shimrod and 5 others like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ant G, Shimrod, fingerpoppin and 6 others like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I finally got my hands on this Tone Poet release and it’s so good; Dexter Gordon One Flight Up — recorded June 2, 1964 . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/2021 Blue Note ‎– ST-84176
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG&JH@CA

Ant G, Shimrod, JorgeGvb and 5 others like this.
  4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

beatboy1975 likes this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy (belated) 84th birthday, Grachan Moncur III — born June 3, 1937.

He didn’t lead many sessions, but this, his inventive debut is one of the all-time great avant-garde jazz albums and a personal favourite of mine, with an exceptionally talented line-up . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/2010 Blue Note ‎– ST-84153, Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84153
    2 × Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Gatefold – KG&SH@ATI

6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Celebrating what would have been his 86th birthday, one of my all-time favourite musicians; the great jazz guitarist, Grant Green — born June 6, 1935.

A killer session with crack backing band, Matador — recorded May 20, 1964 but left unreleased until 1979 . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/1979/2010 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MM-BST-84442, Blue Note ‎– BST-84442
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG&SH@ATM

7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Winding down the weekend with some funky Jazz-Fusion courtesy of Donald Byrd Fancy Free — recorded May 9 and June 6, 1969 . . .

[​IMG]
    1969/2018 Blue Note ‎– BST 84319, Blue Note ‎– B0028724-01
    Vinyl Me, Please. Classics – C017 — KPG@CA

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Wonderful album. :thumbsup:

John Fell, SJR and beatboy1975 like this.
  10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Mosaic sent the following email today.

When Charlie Lourie and I started Mosaic Records in 1982, we believed that we had stumbled upon the winning formula to realize dreams and pay the rent. One little sentence in our eight-page proposal to restart Blue Note Records through Capitol Records gave us a new avenue to pursue: Definitive and complete boxed sets of great jazz artists at their peak with newly improved sound and booklets containing thorough discographies and research, great essays and vintage photography.

We lost Charlie on December 31, 2000, but have carried on in the spirit and style that he created for Mosaic Records. 39 years after inception, we are still at it, creating the kind of deluxe boxed sets that we’ve been known for. The configuration changed from LP to LP & CD to CD only. Marketing has drastically evolved from post cards and small ads to ever-growing brochures to our websites, But we’ll never stop identifying and creating definitive boxed sets.

Music on physical formats has slowed down steadily since the late ‘90s and in order to sustain existence in this shrinking world, we have created a new hybrid website. It will feature current and new Mosaic titles and our shopping cart, but it will be rich in content that celebrates the musical world that we all love.

We will draw upon the immense amount of material that we have developed over the last 39 years as well as other videos, audio tracks, books, essays, interviews, articles and reviews that are available. We will also present work from great jazz writers such as the late Bob Belden, Bob Blumenthal, Dan Morgenstern , Terry Teachout, Gary Giddins, Ricky Riccardi, and Scott Yanow. Our goal is to build a compelling jazz site that will continue far into the future

This new site will require funds and many hours of labor. In order to remain a functioning business, Mosaic Records will be seeking out advertising revenue as traffic to the site builds. We hope you’ll enjoy exploring what we have to offer.

- Michael Cuscuna

11. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Happy birthday to tenor saxophonist and composer, Harold Floyd “Tina” Brooks — born June 7, 1932.

In celebration, I’m spinning arguably his finest, most popular work — a True Blue masterpiece; this was Brooks’ only performance as leader to be released during his lifetime.

Recorded June 25, 1960 . . .

[​IMG]
    1960/2008 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST 84041, Blue Note ‎– BST 84041
    Blue Note The Definitive 45 RPM Reissue Series – KPG&SH@ATM

Ant G, JorgeGvb, beatboy1975 and 5 others like this.
  13. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

14. RCA Victor LPM-1634 - Sauter-Finegan in Hi-Fi " Memories of Goodman and Miller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Hey Brother form half a world away we would probably be sitting in a room together enjoying the same music if that opportunity had presented itself. Like your tastes so very often.

beatboy1975 and SJR like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Cheers man, that’s great to hear. It’d be great kicking back with a couple beers enjoying a listening session!

beatboy1975 and mwheelerk like this.
  17. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

18. Groove Merchant GM 528 - Buddy Rich "The Roar Of ' 74" - rec. 1973 - Engineer: Malcolm Addey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ant G likes this.
  19. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

20. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

*I was meant to post this here last night, but inadvertently posted twice in the Listening to… thread.

My late night spin is this “Solid” effort from Grant Green, featuring an all-star line-up of musicians at the top of their game — recorded June 12, 1964, but not released until 1979!

Plus, there’s a really cool looking cover photo used on this MMJ SRX pressing . . .

[​IMG]
    1964/1979/2019 (SRX) Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MM-LT-990, Blue Note ‎– LT-990
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

smilin ed, Shimrod, Ant G and 3 others like this.
  21. beatboy1975

beatboy1975 Amateur Appreciator

A flawless album and a genuine classic. I feel like I've seen this really cool cover photo used as somebody's avatar here... :cool:

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! I must admit, I was expecting a comment from your good self. The album’s a stone-cold classic. Superb photo (and avatar), too! :righton:

beatboy1975 likes this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Still one of my favourite Blue Note Tone Poet releases, Wayne Shorter Etcetera — recorded June 14, 1965, but left unreleased until 1980 (?!) . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/1980/2019 Blue Note ‎– 33581
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG@CA

JorgeGvb, beatboy1975, J.A.W. and 3 others like this.
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital