The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. A & M Records AMLH 64597 - Gato Barbieri " Caliente!" - rec. 1976 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

PHAROAH SANDERS | IZIPHO ZAM_MY GIFTS | STRATA_EAST | 1969 | US PROMO STEREO PRESSING SES_19733 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Need some distraction from all the flood, destruction and clearing work in my hometown, so I decided to work on some pictures of a record I admittedly took some time getting into; I was kinda turned off by the 28 minutes behemoth of a track on Side B. But repeated listening paid off; the standout track on this album is "Balance", a phenomenal spiritual jazz monster with extremely cool and menacing tuba sounds from Howard Johnson. The line-up is pretty much the best you could hope for, with two of my favourite bassists (McBee and Sirone) and Sonny Sharrock on guitar. "Prince of Peace", later re-recorded for "Jewels of Thought" (on Impulse) as "Um-Allah" is quite raw and less accessible than the later version, but if I had to choose between both, I'd take this one, just for the exceptional playing by the rhythm section by the end of the track.

John Fell and SJR like this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

For those interested: this Pharoah Sanders album is included in the now OOP Mosaic set The Complete Clifford Jordan Strata-East Sessions, which also contains these albums:

Clifford Jordan - In the World
    Cecil Payne - Zodiac – The Music of Cecil Payne
    Charles Brackeen - Rhythm X – The Music of Charles Brackeen
    Ed Blackwell - Shades of Edward Blackwell
    Wilbur Ware - Super Bass
    Clifford Jordan - Glass Bead Games

[​IMG]

Glenn coates, fingerpoppin and cds23 like this.
  4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

MAX ROACH | MEMBERS, DON'T GIT WEARY | ATLANTIC | 1968 | US PROMO STEREO PRESSING SD 1510 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Max Roach gathered the founding members and regulars of the Strata-East label on "Members, Don't Git Weary", which - at least to some extent - is the unofficial blueprint for dozens of albums labeled as "Spiritual Jazz" (in all honesty, I am starting to hate that term) to follow in the late 60's and 70's.

Cervelo likes this.
  7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

9. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

[​IMG]

kmusic likes this.
  10. Legends Of Music RVJ-6093 - Joe Farrell & Paul Horn " Jazz Gala 1980 Vol. 3" - rec. live France 1980 - Engineer: Tohru Kotetsu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

This music is all new to me and i pushed the button thanks to you good folks chatting about here on SHFs some time back ...too far back for me to remember exactly who ...but as i read comments here i add things to a list then find them to give a quick listen then add them to a buy list and what do you know sometime ..often months i have the album

...this time due to budget (too much already committed for TPs, BN Classic Reissues, Verve Acoustic Sounds Series, SAM Records) its the cd, as i haven't heard the record not sure how much i'm missing as this cd sounds great on my system this morning.

[​IMG]

I wrote this on discogs

....Fabulous music and a piece of history to-boot, the 16 page booklet including the retrospective article by Bob Blumethal adds to our knowledge of this important live recording captured here as it includes the only known recordings of Getz playing "It's All Right With Me", "Yesterday's Gardenias" and "52 Street Theme" along with his first recording of "It's You Or No One".

The band here is a strong one and should or could of gone on to a long and successful career, but by year end it would be disbanded as Getz collaborated with guitarist Charlie Byrd and that led to "Jazz Samba" and we know what happened after that. This album gives a glimpse of where Getz was and where he could of gone if he'd of taken a different path and if only for that it's worth owning, not withstanding the superb music that's on this album.

In summary if you like live jazz and sax then get this album you will be transported to a different place and time being sat in the Village gate in Nov 1961 which to my ears and thinking is a lovely place to be, albeit i'm far too young to of been there any other way.

Kit used to listen to this cd
    Musical Fidelity A5 cdp (analogue outputs used)
    Graham Slee Lautus interconnects to
    BenchMark Dac1 HDR (as a pre only)
    Cyrus Mono X amps
    QED Reference cable to
    Tannoy Berkeley speakers

JazzFanatic, Ant G, Shimrod and 4 others like this.

12. In September 1961 (= 2 month earlier) the same group + guest Bob Brookmeyer recorded this one:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Another one or 2 i have to look into ...thanks :D

14. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

15. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

16. DN-9801-2 - Dennis Noday " Tribute To Stan Kenton" - rec. 1998

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Skye SK-10 - Cal Tjader " Cal Tjader Plugs In" - rec. 1969 - Engineer: Andy Richardson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

frightwigwam and John Fell like this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

webbcity, mwheelerk and John Fell like this.
  19. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

20. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAMINHO DE CASA - HERBIE MANN (Chesky) CD

Bass – Paul Socolow / Drums – Ricky Sebastian / Flute & Alto Flute – Herbie Mann / Guitar – Romero Lubambo / Percussion – Café / Piano – Eduardo Simon | Mark Soskin

Recorded 1990

Only just heard this album and initial impressions are I enjoyed some of it, but most of it sounded like it lacked direction. Hopefully I'll change my opinon for the better after a few more hearings.

frightwigwam likes this.
  21. Shimrod

Shimrod Forum Resident

22. Mama Foundation CD - The Bob Florence Limited Edition "Serendipity 18" - rec. 1998

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BILL EVANS | SOME OTHER TIME | THE LOST SESSION FROM THE BLACK FOREST with EDDIE GOMEZ and JACK DeJOHNETTE (Resonance) 2CD

Recorded 1968.

There have been a glut of Bill Evans releases recently (which I can't keep up with) so I thought it was as good a time as any to give this fine double album another hearing.

JazzFanatic and Ant G like this.
  24. Yes have thos one too.
    BTW You should stop by also on SHF special Bill Evans tread