The Jerry Reed Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlmanacZinger, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin' Thread Starter

The man deserves his own thread. I'm a CD guy so I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on CD mastering of his albums, especially the new BGO 4fers. But any and all JR talk and comparisons are welcome here.

2. AlmanacZinger

I've read that The Smokey and The Bandit OST CD release sounds tinny. I can't confirm this but I think it may sound like this. Can anyone confirm?:

hi_watt likes this.
  3. AlmanacZinger

Whereas a Sony release sounds much better here. Perhaps part of their excellent reissue/remaster series of late?:

4. AlmanacZinger

Reed and James Burton make for some fine guitar Bakersfield pickin'.

Rockford & Roll, MYQ1 and Retro Hound like this.
  5. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I hoped that Real Gone would continue to release some of his catalog. I first bought most of the ONE-WAY Records two-fers, and had hoped that they would eventually release NASHVILLE UNDERGROUND and THE UNBELIEVABLE GUITAR OF, but One-Way told me that BMG/RCA/Sony wouldn't give them the rights to these 2 titles. They assumed that there was some plans for release by Sony. It took a few years, but we did get them.

I could spend hours watching YOUTUBE videos of Jerry. I see that BGO Records has released some of these as well. I think most of them had already been released by One-Way and Real Gone.

Unreleased titles, Half & Half is a good one from the late 70's/early 80's as is the live HOT STUFF.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

And they were both raised all the way across the country from Bakersfield :) (Georgia and Louisiana).

quicksrt likes this.
  7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The first record of any kind I bought was the 45 of When You're Hot, You're Hot.

MYQ1, Panama Hotel, SonyTek and 3 others like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The definitive Jerry Reed is on RCA Victor vinyl, whether LP or 45 RPM. One of the best, most underrated guitar pickers ever, in my humble opinion. For those new to his work, hunt down the RCA LP "The Best Of Jerry Reed" and listen to it intently. Once you do so, you will want more.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'm on my 4th 45 of this classic, and the same on "Amos Moses"

Cracklebarrel and MYQ1 like this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

Indeed. Like how Syl Johnson is part of the "Chicago Soul" sound - even though he's from Mississippi.

spanky1 likes this.
  11. AlmanacZinger

Aren't those One-Way releases OOP? Saw those 2fers going for big bucks just a few weeks ago.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That’s helpful :cheers:

13. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Yeah, One-Way went defunct many years ago. Some of those Chet Atkins two-fers bring big bucks. Liner booklets were minimal, but it was good to get the music.

rodentdog likes this.
  14. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

The ESSENTIAL is a good starting place for a cd of Jerry. Good selection, and sound is good. The entire RCA/BMG THE ESSENTIAL series is pretty well done. I know the Gary Stewart one is very good. The sound is so much better than the Raven Records tracks from Gary. That's a discussion for another thread.

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

16. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Brian Mc likes this.
  17. Svein Arne

Revolver and Mal like this.
  18. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I really like the two albums He did with Chet Atkins.

MedozK, rockinlazys, quicksrt and 2 others like this.
  19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Such an interesting player. Really good picker. But so much more. And not what he is known for. I love his guitar playing. And his serious side mixed with a comedic side. Roger Miller and Willie Nelson i find similar in that people don't think of them as jammin' guitar players. But, all three are great, to me, guitar players. Jerry Reed rocks!

halfjapanese and Suncola like this.
  20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Explores Country Guitar is the album I play the most of his, it was a two-fer with Alabama Wildman. I think the thing about a Jerry Reed album is you just get a bunch of songs that Jerry Reed likes to play so there's always a mix of stuff which just goes to show what a versatile player he was.

Love the cover photo on this album too, fun written all over it.

"Jump in there boy, swarm son swarm..."

21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I'm assuming you are referring to the classic RCA lps Me & Chet and Me & Jerry. Don't forget that they did another lp for Columbia Records entitled SNEAKIN' AROUND. While not as consistently good as the first 2, it does have some bright moments.

McLover, quicksrt and rodentdog like this.
  22. Svein Arne

Jerry Reed on The Opry and More:

:tiphat:

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

My copy of the latest 2-on one two-fer, Explores Country, Cookin', Georgia Sunshine, and Me and Jerry (w Chet Atkins) BGO set just arrived! So glad they are continuing the Jerry series!

Jeff

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

While I'm not a massive fan of Jerry Reed, I do enjoy his music and one of my early favorite songs is "Amos Moses." I purchased The Essential Jerry Reed and found a number of great songs, among them:
    • A Good Woman's Love
    • Lord, Mr. Ford
    • Downtown Poker Club
    • Guitar Man
    • The Claw
    Although he had some humor in many of his songs, I've never considered Jerry Reed a comedy artist but instead an artist who can be humorous. It is much like with Roger Miller, humor in his music but he is also serious.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. AlmanacZinger

Check out Phil Harris' version. It's the one to beat IMO.

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.