The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series Blu-ray set

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marshall, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

Yesterday, I published a web review/article on the Warner Archive Collection set of The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series Blu-ray set. The link to the review is below.

These 1962-1963 episodes has never looked better, with colors really striking. There's even a few "Brought to you by" bumpers with ads for Scotch Tape, Saran Wrap, and Colgate Dental Cream. The show is as entertaining as ever, too. It's also fun to see things like flat screen TV's, Facetime, and a few other things that were predicted in the show that are around today. No flying cars yet, though.

Plus, musically there's the "A Date With Jet Screamer" episode with Howard Morris (Ernest T. Bass from The Andy Griffith Show, Your Show of Shows etc.) as the title character.

Thanks,
    Marshall

"The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series" Blu-ray Review

mpayan, cwitt1980, Jimmy B. and 6 others like this.
  2. Marshall

Not from the new Blu-ray set, where it looks much better, but here's Jet Screamer and "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah". The song's been covered by Violent Femmes and The Dickies.

Crungy, Jimmy B., vinnie and 2 others like this.
  3. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Wow. Guess I never realized it was on for only one season. Maybe that’s why I know every episode!

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There were more Jetsons episodes done form 1985-1987, but they were terrible. I think they were mainly done just to extend out the number of episodes for the syndication package. The HB people were not very happy working on it.

seed_drill likes this.
  5. Marshall

That's where they brought on another character for the show, an alien named Orbitty. Honestly, I can't remember any of the plot lines from the 1980's Jetsons episodes.
    Marshall

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Be happy you can't remember. Be very happy. Those shows were haaaaaaaaarible.

[​IMG]

"Oribtty" was kind of the alien "Cousin Oliver" of The Jetsons.

seed_drill, AppleCorp3 and showtaper like this.
  7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

8. Marshall

Interesting comparison between Orbitty and Cousin Oliver!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bad new characters thrown into an existing sitcom to liven things up. And neither worked and were quietly phased out.

10. Marshall

Gotcha!

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I always find it amusing when they title it The Complete Series when it has only one season. I think it is understandable because if the just said Season 1 people would probably be waiting for season 2 to come out. I still find it amusing, though.

12. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Agreed.own DVD set and it says season one. I thought I was missing something. Apparently not

13. Marshall

No, you're not missing anything. It's the 1962-1963 original ABC series, not the two seasons of episodes in the 80's.

Marshall

14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Does the BluRay still use the title cards featuring Orbity?

15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Nope.

mBen989 likes this.
  16. Marshall

And the ending credits now match the episode they were supposed to be in. On the DVD set from 2004, they used the same
    ending credits for the episodes.
    Marshall
    "The Jetsons: The Complete Original Series" Blu-ray Review

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I wonder if we’ll be so lucky with The Flintstones. Supposedly, the original opening and end credits were lost, but that was as of 25 years ago. Maybe something has turned up since then.

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

The 80's episodes should be jettisoned from our Jetsons memories & out into space...never to returned!

19. Marshall

I would like to see The Flintstones episodes in Blu-ray like The Jetsons , with perhaps a few bumpers also. BTW, AKA, I like your Born to Run cover photo session picture of Bruce and Clarence.

AKA likes this.
  20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

My copy just arrived-thanks for the headsup!

21. Marshall

You're welcome! I know you'll enjoy it.

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Only us old people remember being excited when The Jetsons first came on. I remember watching the first episode scruntched between my mom and dad. It was the episode where they found Rosie. Haven't seen it since 1962 but I remember my dad laughing at one thing. Someone was buying a used car and they found this 1960s auto and the sales guy gave the rundown which included the phrase .."And padded dash."

That made my dad chuckle. A padded dash was a new thing and we had our first on our '62 Chevy Impala Super Sport SS.

Hearing my dad chuckle at that put it in my mind forever.

A few weeks before Christmas I saw The Jetsons at the May Co. in my one and only time in color, in the TV section of the store. They stayed open late and I got to watch. Was it on Wed. nights or something? No, had to have been SUNDAY night. Wouldn't have gone shopping in the middle of the week in 1962. Wasn't done..

Hard to believe but it was the FIRST and ONLY Color show broadcast on ABC that season and even then ONLY I think in LA, NYC and maybe Chicago. Nowhere else. Not even the Flintstones was broadcast in color yet. So it was a treat watching it in color, my only time..

At my grade school there was a kid in my class named Bradley, his dad worked at H-B somehow, maybe a music editior or something. Bradley brought in for show and tell a bunch of framed animation cells and backgrounds for The Flintstones, etc. I discovered that the backgrounds were mainly sponge and paint. Something I tried at home that very night.

And later my friend Dan Finnerty told me his dad was an editor at H-B. I didn't believe him until I saw his name on the credits. I was ****ing impressed. Got some free animation cells from him.

At any rate, I doubt I want to watch all of The Jetsons but it's nice they got it together and issued it like this. The hardest part was probably fixing the faded Pathe color problems..

Thing is, I do NOT remember it saying "Color by Pathe" at the end like on the sample in the review. I would have noticed something like that, always reading the end titles. Was that always there?

woody, Vidiot, stereoptic and 3 others like this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I can attest that it was color on WXYZ Detroit. I saw it on my older brothers color set.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I missed this! Cool...thanks for the review.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, as expected...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.