The Jimi Hendrix Experience SACD Axis:Bold as Love stunning

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimB, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

OK, point taken. Had no idea. That said, I bet the reason I went there instead of Acoustic Sounds if memory serves is the shipping costs are as much as the cost of the discs. I'd prefer they just say the SACDs are $50 and shipping is free, or $2.

Natvecal. likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Great username.

thxphotog and WyattAARP like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Same here. :/

MoonPool likes this.
  4. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Any news on AYE sacd ? Would they really do another ABAL mono reissue after the recent sacd?

supermd likes this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Or, “number” could have been misinterpreted as dynamic range :)

7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

When I ordered mine last Thursday (9/27), it said, "In Stock". When I got the shipping confirmation, my "Prime Two-Day Shipping" became "Your new estimated delivery date is: Monday, October 29, 2018 - Monday, November 26, 2018".

It's one of the only reasons I dislike Analog Productions. They use this stock shortage to drive sales to their own website, where they charge full list with no discounts. I guess it works for them but I don't have to like it.

Opeth likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why do people think producing music recordings is some sort benevolent charity? Acoustic Sounds invested THEIR money (which is probably leveraged through banks in some fashion) to produce this release and have earned the right to maximize any profits from their investment - and employ any business model which does so. They could choose to not distribute it at all through 2nd party retailers. But they eventually do because at some point it improves their return on investment.

And Music Direct does similar. Audio Fidelity chose a different model of distributing to loyal customers, i.e. club members who were a source of guaranteed income, before general release.

I too ordered from Music Direct because I saved a few bucks. The trade off for saving a few bucks is you have to wait for awhile. Why should Acoustic Sounds have to subsidize the whims of the frugal?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Ordered this SACD from Acoustic Sounds last night. I couldn't wait to get it for a cheaper price, especially with all the raves it is getting here. Hope to be listening to this by the end of the week.

Opeth and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

You quoted me but seem to miss my main (only?) point - they short the secondary market as a selling technique. They've done this with many of their recent releases. If they didn't regularly do this, I would not have written what I did. I am in a situation where I have to decide to wait for my Amazon order or cancel it and buy it directly from AP (through Acoustic Sounds). It's not really just about the price as I only saved a few bucks going with Amazon.

Quite honestly, if the disc didn't show up on Amazon as "In stock", I'd be listening to it right now and not writing this stuff here. :)

frightwigwam and Shawn like this.
  11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Oh boy if I want this for Christmas, I better order now!

12. When Jeff Bezos opens his Amazon studio and does what Chad Kasem has been doing passionately for decades, I will start to buy my SACD’s with my prime membership (which I have and love), at Amazon. Until then I have no problem buying AP titles directly from AS and supporting his business so the extra revenue goes in Chad’s pocket. :righton:

13. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

So, no European distribution of this...?

bobcat and Blank Frank like this.
  14. Import Cds shipped mine on the 23rd of last month so hopefully I'll see it by the end of this week. Pre ordered from them back in June.

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Same here.

16. supermd likes this.
  17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I would not hesitate to pay $50 if I had to or whatever full price is from AP. This is one of my fav albums though since I was about 10 years old probably. I will never reach for a different version unless I want to spin the 2010 AAA vinyl. I think it's that good.

18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Acoustic Sounds will ship via media mail if you request it

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ha! I had inadvertently also ordered this and AYE from Music Direct. . . and they just shipped me ABAL SACD, got the notice as I was listening to the mono mix on the copy I got from Acoustic Sounds.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I A/B'd this with my original Reprise CD, and the AP is a huge improvement. A lot clearer, with better bass. It's definitely "louder" than the Reprise, but despite the DR numbers being posted, I'm not detecting any real compression. As someone pointed out in the other thread, DR numbers can be deceptive when it comes to widely differing EQ settings - more bass might result in lower DR numbers, even without actual compression involved.

The mono mix sounds pristine, as well. Fantastic job. Excited to hear what they're able to do with AYE, but my expectations are tempered somewhat by the fact that, apparently, the original mono tapes of that album are either lost or scattered far and wide.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  21. WyattAARP

WyattAARP Forum Resident

Same with me. Got it today. Vey pleased with it.

22. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Moi Aussie and I don’t even do SACD just gonna Jam to Redbook!!

Timothy Fiacco likes this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

Same here, redboook all the way. Looks like mine arrives Friday. :cool:

Timothy Fiacco and supermd like this.
  24. I don't believe any AP releases are officially distributed in Europe. They are licensed for North America.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Really? I thought that your expectations should be tempered by the fact that the mono mix of AYE is just not real exciting like AXIS is in mono. AYE was reissued not long ago in mono by the Hendrix estate, did you listen to it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.