The Jimi Hendrix Experience SACD Axis:Bold as Love stunning

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimB, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I have the UK & US mono vinyl reissues, so I'm pretty familiar with the mono mixes for both albums. I'm not sure really either mono mix is super "exciting" in and of itself. I'm interested in them more as a completist and for historical purposes. But Jimi and Eddie were clearly early stereo enthusiasts, and that's where they seemed to focus their efforts (especially on Axis).

I'm just hopeful AP were able to track down better mono tapes than were used on the recent vinyl issues. Some of those tracks sound just plain awful.

IDwithnoE and George P like this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Amazon UK has the option to order it via them from Amazon US going through the "global store" system, the price displayed includes shipping and "Import Fees Deposit" (I have never tried buing this way with customs pre-paid), I think it seems like a good deal compared to both buying from Amazon UK direct obviously but also compared to buying from a US seller with the expensive shipping and getting the tax and extra fees added by customs: Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Axis: Bold As Love

bobcat, Blank Frank and crozcat like this.
  3. WyattAARP

WyattAARP Forum Resident

4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Seems like it used to be a good business model to provide good products and efficient, friendly service at competitive prices. Happy customers are repeat customers, and that means a profitable, growing business. Now, I guess it's different.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not different. Did Ford provide hot selling Fords to GM dealers? Did Sherwin Williams provide its paints to Benjamin Moore dealers? There have been lots of examples of manufacturers with retail arms who restricted distrbution of their product.

6. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Hmmm... what? Ford doesn't sell their cars directly so there is no equivalency to what's happening here. Sherwin Williams may not sell their paint at a Benjamin Moore dealer but they do at every Lowes store. I don't think your point is valid in these two examples. I'm sure there are examples but I don't think either these two are one of them.

And BTW, it is a business model, make no mistake, and it seems to work for them. It doesn't mean I have to like it.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You used nostalgic past tense - as in before Lowes was a huge national retailer and Benjamin Moore didn’t change their model to respond to a changing environment.

Ford may not sell their cars directly but they’ve always sold their cars in exclusive arrangements with their branded dealers.

The examples are perfectly to the point that Acoustic Sounds doesn’t have a unique business model. You can dislike it all you want but I can also think it’s just complaining which doesn’t recognize their model rewards investment and probably results in product being released which otherwise might not.

So if the cost is a few people being unhappy because they simply can’t have it all on their terms, I’m more than ok with that.

8. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

i dont care what they do. i was simply under the impression that i would be getting it shipped on release day from amazon. had i known i might.. or might not have ordered elsewhere.

as far as other people being unhappy... yeah, im okay with that too. .... nice. as long as im happy thats all that really counts.

robby likes this.
  9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Mine just shipped from Music Direct!
    I got free shipping for both of the Hendrix SACDs and they are shipping this separately before the release of AYE. Many companies wait until both are available so they don't have to pay for shipping twice.
    Kudos to Music Direct!

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Nice! Mine arrives Friday from Acoustic Sounds.

And amazon is now up to $39.98 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D577S1...colid=T8TAKNFO1GQ5&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

yardbuzzard and EVOLVIST like this.
  11. audiomixer

supermd, Bill Mac, George P and 2 others like this.
  12. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

johnny q and audiomixer like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Same for me.

audiomixer likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That must of been the Memorial Day sale.

16. audiomixer

Yes, I believe it was.

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Mine is arriving today. My Sacd player is exceptional and system as whole is fairly hi end. Very excited to spin tonight!

How's the mono compared to stereo (DSD layer)? Never heard the mono. Have the original US issued CD.

18. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I am hopeful of this also for AYE. A new great sounding Axis is welcome absolutely and I’m glad this is even better, but really every release of Axis has sounded great (except the Re-1 SonicSolutions NoNoise cd version).

Having a great sounding version of AYE in mono from AP would advance the ball. I would bet they took a pretty good run at it.

supermd likes this.
  19. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

$27.69 at ImportCD. There was a code I used after I put it in basket and didn't check out. They emailed me a promo code discount if I'd check out now.

20. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

They used a very poor source for the mono AYE vinyl reissue, and I believe AP are on the search for better tapes. It's pretty hard to tell how "exciting" a mix is when it's presented in such poor quality.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What did they use the French Barclay?

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The mono AYE reissue used the US mono master for the most part, which was a dub of the UK master with even more issues.

The UK master itself was an EQ'd (badly copied) dub of the assembled 1st gen mono mix reels.

The Barclay either used the mono mix reel, or a much better copy thereof. Fingers crossed that AP can locate one such tape!

mikeyt, Flaming Torch and yardbuzzard like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Same here. :)

24. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I was supposed to receive it on release day also. They blew it and shipped it too late to arrive on Friday so it came on Monday instead . Prime Member. I paid a total of $6.95 after two courtesy credits were applied.

yardbuzzard likes this.
  25. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

A brand new AP release for $6.95, in return for a short delay?

Sweet deal!

audiomixer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.