The Jimi Hendrix Experience SACD Axis:Bold as Love stunning

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimB, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Spun this for the first time the other night. Lon's review is spot on. The clarity on this disc is amazing. I just sat mesmerized for the entire album, and then when the mono versions kicked in it was even better.

2. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I ordered from Amazon on September 26th. It was supposed to be delivered today, but is now delayed until the 11th.

3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Bingo!
    20% off from MD over Memorial Day weekend.
    Ordered a Bob Dylan mono, both AP Hendrix & Parsley Sage Rosemary and Thyme.
    Even though MD ships what is in stock and separately, they honor the free shipping.
    A business like that gets my money every time.
    I haven't ordered discs from AS in a long time.
    I can wait.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I wonder if there will be a Columbus Day sale. . . .

Opeth likes this.
  5. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Is there a code needed to get the 20% discount?

6. Which "A:BaL" stereo mix does this release use?
    Thanks*.

* try & keep up w/SA-CD 'Axis' threads; though overwhelmed/underwhelmed by all the "ordered" and/or "shipped" posts.

:angel:

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Sinnersaint, I'd be very surprised if the stereo mix was anything other than what has been issued in the USA.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  8. Thanks; concer.
    Just i don't follow all the EH vinyl threads thoroughly.
    "A:BaL" alternate stereo mix hasn't appeared official [EH] this century?

Does any one know for certain, if EH has the masters of the Alternate Stereo Mix for "A:BaL"?

Missed opportunity to have both stereo, the mono, & a 5.1 mix in 2018!!!!
    Hendrix Fans from the 60's & 70's [like me] ain't gonna be around much longer!

:angel:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

I apologize for the ingenuous question: is anyone aware of counterfeit on the European market?

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The original.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  11. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There "was" a code needed when they had the sale for the Memorial Day weekend.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  12. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I found a copy at Bull Moose Music in Portsmouth, NH today so I cancelled my Amazon order. I hope to spin this today.

Opeth likes this.
  13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

@SinnerSaint: The Hendrix Estate have never even acknowledged that the alternate stereo mix exists, as far as I'm aware, you'd think that, with other vintage mixes being released here and there, they'd included some of them somehwere, I wonder if they know the alternate stereo mix exists... Axis should really, ideally, be reissued with all three mixes (and the mono BOTML/STPWLSD singe).

Chris M and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I don't have a SACD player but the regular layer of the MONO sounds amazing. Music Direct sent it media mail but I received it in two days.

BGLeduc and Lownote30 like this.
  15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Ordered a copy from amazon. I'll be happy to get it anytime this year.

Galley and EVOLVIST like this.
  16. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Wow! I ordered it the same way, and I'm not supposed to get it until Tuesday. They ship from Pennsylvania. That's awesome that they got it to you, in Oklahoma, in only 2 days!

malcolm reynolds likes this.
  17. Sure they know it exist.

Official Hendrix Archivist John McDermottt works for & works w/EH.
    +
    Would be super surprised if Eddie Kramer, also an EH employee, didn't know of the alternate stereo mix as well!!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

@SinnerSaint: Yes, it would be surprising, Kramer may have forgotten about making several mixes or may not be aware that more than one stereo mix was released, but McDermott should know it exists. But at the same time is even more surprising that it has never been mentioned anywhere by anyone in an official position, like in liner notes of releases etc. Why have none of these mixes ever been used when other alternate mixes have been released? I find it very strange that they (EH) would consider an alternate mix of one of the three core studio albums uninteresting to the point of never even acknowledge it's existance at least once somewhere during all the years.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Isn't there an EU cd with the "safety mix" that Carlos something or other mastered ?

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

SinnerSaint, Opeth and supermd like this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The alternate stereo mix was the standard in Europe except UK and France until the '93 remaster came out, before that I had not heard the original mix and didn't even know there were two mixes, I though there was something wrong with that CD when I first got it... :oops:

Opeth and supermd like this.
  22. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Opeth likes this.
  23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the alternate mix CD isn't super rare or anything. It can be found relatively cheaply on eBay, etc.

And it sounds pretty good, too (both the mix itself and the mastering). Well worth tracking down for those who don't have it.

Opeth likes this.
  24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:agree:

Opeth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.