The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "The Royal Albert Hall" Film, One Off Showing in London!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I had a feeling you knew, I posted it in part for those that might not have known. :righton:

Deek57 likes this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I know, my Maui was too!

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Now maybe we can get a "bargain" reissue of the original album :D

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  4. All Down The Line

You betcha as even my washed out boot DVD is exciting to watch.
    Hey was live footage of the 18th shot that might be used also?

5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I'm afraid of getting TOO excited about this, but bear in mind what the blurb says,

The highlighted bits strongly suggest that,

a) This is not simply a clean-up, but an actual new edit (why else refer to film "elements" being "prepared"?)
    b) These songs are part of the "audiovisual experience"

Of course, this could simply mean a slide show &/or cut & paste of other RAH elements applied to the previously visually-uncirculating songs - I wouldn't entirely rule this out, but to my mind that doesn't square with the tone of the press release & would be poor misrepresentation of the show, if true.

P.S. One thing the blurb doesn't state (& the RAH ticket site doesn't elaborate either) is the LENGTH of the movie being shown - that would help us enormously figure out just how much of a change "this" version of the show might be.

highway chile and R. Cat Conrad like this.
  6. All Down The Line

Misrepresentation?
    E.H.?
    Surely you jest!

hoggydoggy and monkboughtlunch like this.
  7. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I've seen 2 songs from the rough new cut from a few years ago, as they circulated on the net for a bit and I literally found them by accident, the footage looks amazing, and the edit's are brand new... Also the footage of Jimi Wandering around london etc, is incredible...

They have built this movie from the ground up....

8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I can't wait for the compressed CD.

This is actually all sorts of awesome..

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Bring on a Blu-ray and cd

R. Cat Conrad likes this.
  10. John Harchar

I don't think it's the original film but the new edit that was supposedly prepared about 10 years ago. They also have footage from other stops on the the early '69 European tour that was to be included in some form. I remember something about it being around 1:45 but I couldn't tell you where I heard/read it.

My version of Experience cuts off right as Smashing of the Amps happens, is the original cut around 72 minutes for those that have seen it/have it?

11. All Down The Line

Will we still get Jimi's morning goodbye to Uschi Obermaier?

jhm likes this.
  12. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

A good first step, but I think that if the thread title was "official screening ", I would feel less disappointed right now.

13. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Is the Stone Free from this night the same one that appeared on the JH Concerts? Always loved that version and would love to hear/see it without all the reverb they added on that set.

14. John Harchar

That's the one. I'd be surprised if it was the full 12 minutes or so (the Concerts version cut a Mitch solo), but we'll take a nice piece of it, thank you.

ExHead and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

It seems inconceivable that they would restore all of this footage and produce the film for only one screening. Consider the perspective of EH. Why would they, presumably, invest all kinds of $ into that for only one screening? There's no way. One screening in London only? I can't imagine they agreed to it with the other party if they weren't getting something in return.

16. John Harchar

I wish that goodbye film with all the ladies could be found...

Jimi Bat and All Down The Line like this.
  17. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

This initial screening and probably some other screenings in select cities around the world may be part of the agreement with Last Experience to eventually release the concert tapes on CD and eventually the concert on DVD. Last Experience was all about the film, and recouping the costs that went into making the film 50 years ago that were never reimbursed and making a profit with the film.

18. This is exactly it. EH and Goldstein had to come to an agreement. After all of these years, Goldstein is going to get what he feels is coming to him, so you can bet your ass that it isn't merely sharing one-night-only ticket prices with EH.

I'm thinking that this showing at RHA is buildup to the mass release. This isn't just wishful thinking on our part.

My wishful thinking is that they release all of the audio on CD (or whatever format), with a blu ray release of the new film, plus the original cut.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There was a bad beef over the family estate investing hundreds of thousands into the restoration project. And not any getting news on the progress, and no sign of their money returned. They were forced to go to court over it. A lot a bad faith and broken trust. Goldstein owns the film, but the family owns the music masters needed to do a proper sync. I always thought it came down to Janie and the estate believing that the film should just be kindly handed over fairly cheaply, and that she had more leverage than Goldstein being that she had changed her legal name to Hendrix.. A decade later she finally realized she didn't, and the movie will never be a fully "family owned" venture.

But this does look like a copyright protection move. And nobody is getting any younger.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You want the original cut? Just because it was a quicky bootleg with poor mono sound. Or should they spend $400,000 on restoration of that as well?
    As long as all the performance footage is there in the new better cut, I'm fine with never again seeing that old rag-tag pos I have on DVD somewhere in my drawers of boots.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That would be my guess. I can’t imagine that Goldstein would let this slip into the public domain after fighting over it for 50 years and spending countless millions on legal and production fees.

22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

My understanding is Goldstein wanted final say in editing the film, since he controls the footage.
    EH didnt want that, they wanted to control the visuals. And no deal got worked out.
    The charge she changed her name for legal leverage is gratuitous speculation, but I understand the need to fit in with the cool kids here.

jhm likes this.
  23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

In all likelihood we will see it again, and maybe not too much longer in the distant future.

When Machine Gun cane out, Sony said it would be the only complete show released from the BoG Fillmore stand.
    And while technically they may have been right, we are getting most of it with the new BoG release.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Holy! This is exciting. I'm a huge Gypsys nut, and this RAH is my Hendrix grail. To think of both of them coming out in a relatively short time frame possibly is beyond any expectations I've ever had. Consider me officially blown away by these two announcements. I agree with others that it seems bizarre to go through all this effort to preserve, re edit and stage a massive showing of this just to secure the copyright and bury it again. If it's happening now it's because there are other plans in the not too distant future. I sure wish there were more screenings announced than just the one, but I suspect if that goes well others may happen too. Anyways I'll wait for more news, in the meantime just that trailer has me salivating, and in less than two months I'll have the Box of Gypsys to tied me over. Great time to be a Hendrix fan.

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Great news indeed!!
    Besides the copyright laws that have become an issue, maybe the people who are handling the estates of the late 60's and early 70's artist are realizing that the core audience (and buyers) for this stuff are not going to be around forever.
    Maybe it's time to get this out and we can have a great listen and they (the estates) can make some money. Ten or fifteen years ago would have been even better!

andrewskyDE and J_D__ like this.