The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "The Royal Albert Hall" Film, One Off Showing in London!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Analytics or no, 161 million is one hell of a number. My reference was not to how many people would see a showing in a theater, but to Hendrix's popularity. He's still an icon, I don't see how it can be argued otherwise. He's been gone 50 years, yet if you do a Google news search you find at least a dozen references in the last week. In most of those he's the main topic Jimi Hendrix - Google Search

2. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

There may be a slight dropout or two, but nothing major. You do hear those crackles on Wild Thing as heard on the Ember release. There is a bit of tape saturation on the last two tunes, as if it was recorded too "hot," but not awful. This was a cd-r release, so quality may have varied from disc to disc. Or maybe who ever reviewed it got a copy on bad disc. The perils of modern day collecting!

3. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

It's not rare at all: It's available on Voodoo Child compilation.

For some reason, the version on a Variations on a Theme was a bad quality audience recording.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Are you sure it's an audience recording? I agree that the intro has the audience very audible but then it seems to go to soundboard. The two circulating audience tapes are not near this quality either way.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Raw.

6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

10 screens per state makes 500, run it three days, 1500 screens! :)

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Doctor Flang

Pretty sure it is. Anyway, it sounds inferior to the versions released on Voohoo Child and Concerts.

EDIT: I wonder why the sleeve said it was recorded at Newport?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  8. John Harchar

Maybe they mixed up Newport Pop with New York Pop.

9. Doctor Flang

But it was weird, as the album was supervised by Alan Douglas, who had already released a multitrack sourced version on The Jimi Hendrix Concerts.

10. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Nothing weird about this release as it is not what would be considered a "regular" audio release so no reason to source from best possible really.

It is from a set of guitar tuition CD's, in fact it even says: "Players Guide" on the disc.

The Variations disc also has one of those Frankenstein / scissor jobs. Flown in edits from a different sessions with different personnel, tut tut whatever next?:D Is that the sound of a scrapping barrel?:laugh:

kees1954 likes this.
  11. John Harchar

Do we know when that particular creation was made (possibly for Multicolored Blues?) It was widely booted, I had a couple of them with it before that came out. Then when they put it on :blues, they edit out the personnel recitation but leave the rest of the spliced intro.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think the personnel recitation was edited out because it doesn't match who's playing on the spliced portion that follows :)!

Doctor Flang and Gordon Johnson like this.
  13. Doctor Flang

Yes, but every other live version on the album was remixed from the multitracks.

kees1954 likes this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yes, correct.

15. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

The mix of Red House on the Variations CD is in stereo. It resembles the mix of the Ember LPs very much. Apparently Alan Douglas didn't have access to the multitrack tapes.

16. Doctor Flang

Douglas did have the multitracks. They've been in the Hendrix vault ever since 1969. However, i wonder if Golstein knew about the release?

kees1954 likes this.
  17. John Harchar

That I know, Buddy's only on the Electric Church/Hear My Music stuff a week earlier, so editing that out did make sense. I just wonder when the two were put together originally.

crozcat and jhm like this.
  18. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

That appears to be a remix, as it has the drums in the center. So I guess Douglas had located the tapes by the late 80s.

kees1954 likes this.
  19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Every passing year the commercial value of the RAH film/audio diminishes. The writing was on the wall 15 years ago when physical retail started declining (and of course the reality that Hendrix's long-standing fan-base isn't getting any younger). Unless the parties can make a deal with Amazon, Netflix, or another platform that generates a 7 figure payment, Goldstein needs to give up his dream of cashing-out from his RAH footage because it likely is not going to happen.

20. Doctor Flang

As far as i know, the tapes were never lost.

21. JamesGurley67

JamesGurley67 Forum Resident

In another topic someone was saying that young people don't care about Big Brother's Cheap Thrills, now I just discovered that people under 30 don't care about Hendrix, and he used to be more popular 30 years ago.

I don't know how can someone believe Hendrix was more popular in 1990 than he is in 2020. Back in 1990 there was no internet. People relied on MTV and radio to discover new/old stuff. The chances of anyone discovering Hendrix music in 1990 was really slim. Even in the electric guitar world Hendrix wasn't really popular. People wanted to play superstrats through digital effects. Fuzz Faces, Uni-Vibes, Octavios were considered pretty outdated back in the day.

Right now Hendrix is a playable character in videogames, a bunch of his songs were released as DLCs on Rocksmith, and I think it was the most popular release, there are a lot of licensed guitar effects under his name, and right no fuzz faces, octavios and uni-vibes are cool again. Yeah, some people "dont know anyone under 30 who know Hendrix music". Okay, that doesn't mean anything. I know plenty of people undef 30 that are into Hendrix music.

I mean, Hendrix passed away like 50 years ago. His long-standing fan base still is important, but his music still is relevant today but also because his fan-base is always evolving. Thats a pure fact.

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Hardly. Old-fashioned word of mouth was alive and well back then, especially among young music fans. Tape trading was an everyday thing.

Sure, if you relied solely on MTV or radio to discover stuff.

Now that's just complete rubbish. :laugh:

ranasakawa and Fox67 like this.
  23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I was 18 in 1990. Hendrix was well known and very popular among high school and college students. Classic Rock radio was still a major thing and Hendrix was frequently played. There was also a video for Are You Experienced which got significant time on MTV.

24. John Harchar

I discovered Hendrix in 1988. I came in at a really good period, thanks to CDs there was a new resurgence in the old albums being reissued. He was on the cover of either Guitar World or Guitar Player at least once a year. His older videos were getting reissued on VHS. Plus you had the whole Hendrix Resource Library we were talking about above.

Now if he's getting younger fans (my 18 year old guitar playing nephew isn't a huge fan, but appreciates him), so much the better. There are a lot more ways to hear him than back then, but he was a big thing back in the day.

Fox67 and Vintage1976 like this.
  25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

My best mates son has just turned 18. I’ve got him all 3 of The Jimi Hendrix Experience albums on vinyl for his birthday. All his mates love Hendrix. Quality stands the test of time.

Mark7, Gordon Johnson and jhm like this.