The Jimi Hendrix Experience: "The Royal Albert Hall" Film, One Off Showing in London!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Oct 3, 2019.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Self-grandizing PR by Glyn.
    Everyone knows (especially we who have been there) the Hall wasn't and isn't ideal for live music. It's echoey. But we also knows the recording sounds pretty good and is FAR, FAR, FAR from useless. Contemporary reports also say the sound was excellent in the hall during the EXP concerts.
    Stop taking drugs, Glyn.

2. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Well, if that's true we can all go back to watching that poor quality 40 minute clip on Youtube. Even though it looks like it came from a crappy VHS tape that had been copied multiple times, I must have watched it a dozen times. Man, he was on fire that night.

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Follow-up to my earlier post. This is a momentous event for a lot of reasons, but also very savvy marketing. Yes, there are risks if the restored footage presented doesn’t live up to expectations ...and make no mistake there’ll be lots of reporting and reviews via attendees from which to glean overall impressions. Hendrix fans across the globe don’t actually have to be in the audience to be a fly on this wall.

As I was saying, very savvy marketing. This looks like a solid rights protection effort by all parties. It also allows the parties to gauge public demand for an expanded theatrical run later on, ...the “one night only” scenario is designed to build interest, and undoubtably it will.

The “risk” caveat mentioned earlier has to do with the restored elements. The claim is made that the footage is restored, but expectations will run the gamut. Is this just a cleaner, sharper looking version of the bootleg version that has been floating around for decades? Does it include unseen performance footage, songs, interviews? Has the distracting 60’s era montage sequences inserted randomly over Hendrix soloing ...including the pastoral scene inserted over part of Little Wing... been removed? These are key questions fans will have to which we’ll soon know the answer.

Someone in that audience is bound to be taking notes having watched the abysmal 3rd generation quality booted performance of RAH. When the reviews come back we’ll have a much better idea of what to expect. My prediction ...based purely on EH history... is that now that this barn door has been officially pried opened RAH will receive a home video release, sooner rather than later. The only question will be whether there’ll be a broader theatrical release either simultaneously or strategically staggered to maximize profits.

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    All Down The Line likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A bit harsh. He is an old man now. His memory is obviously fading. Be nice.............

The Beave and crozcat like this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah. Stop taking drugs in 1969 so that you can't remember now, Glyn ;)

6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Not sure it works like that but then again it not like this side of things are that clear to most of us!

But I do know the whole song does not have to be published for it to be covered.

7. Gordon Johnson

You think? This will sell, period!it does not require this as a marketing ploy. All it needs is an actual release!

You ask a few questions, the answers to those regard differences between boot and official are freely available already.

8. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

Very interesting comments from DTK and Purple Jim - and I’m happy to accept what you both say.

I love Jimi’s music but have only the original releases and all the Alan Douglas stuff (let’s not open that can up again) and I didn’t know the RAH show had been available for so long. Where have I been?

........I’m back off to listen to the new Gong box set in a minute.

But I do know Glyn Johns was a great recording engineer - maybe he got a better take than he says. And he has seemed to manage to fall out with a few folks along the way........

9. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

If I had a ticket, I'd be wired to the max with a camera and a tasty 96bit recorder with a pair of AT mics, or even Church.

The Beave and kanakaris like this.
  10. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I thought the same thing. Someone will record the whole thing on their mobile device. It'll be out on DVD next month.

11. Ceabhairbunnáin

Ceabhairbunnáin Well-Known Member

Fantastic development. Great week for Jimi fans.

J_D__ likes this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There were problems with the sound, during sound checks, necessitating another separate sound system. Notice that in the pictures, Jimi is singing into several microphones. I’d have to pull up the details, but they obviously ironed them out, as the recordings are just fine.

jhm, All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  13. pool_of_tears

Yeah, nothing more than a sideman. That’s not the real Hendrix, in my opinion.

14. pool_of_tears

You will not buy what? A cd, if it comes out? It’ll be removed from the multitrack tapes, for sure. That’s not bootleg quality. Or am I misunderstanding you?

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

There were definitely issues during the soundcheck, and Chas Chandler, unpaid and no longer his manager, was there to help out. But the recordings sound fine and the live sound was apparently good too.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

I agree, but i seem to recall they had to do an Extra stuff to get things to work. It’s in one of those Hendrix books...either Electric Gypsy or Setting The Record Straight

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    DTK likes this.
  17. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The idea is to build a younger audience. Those who were already on board ...or aren’t pushin’ up daisies already... will buy this regardless. BTW, most of that younger audience, if interested or curious, will get into the film via digital downloads. Never underestimate the power of marketing. :righton:

Really? Freely available?

Alas, not everyone will be privy to knowledge of what was or wasn’t filmed. I’ve watched the booted RAH several times and read varying accounts of what footage was left out, but in all honesty, I couldn’t tell you what edited or unused footage exists today.

Supposedly there was a quite a bit of footage cut and the “art” inserts added befitting the concert documentary style of the day. We’ve seen this psychedelic enhancement technique employed in numerous other vintage concerts. It’s not only a visual distraction, it terribly dates the films employing it. I’d like to know if the actual concert footage survives and has been restored.

:cheers:
    Cat

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Weren't 2 mic's needed in that era because one was for the PA and the other for the recording truck?

I thought the delay was because Goldstein had a $5mil settlement he didn't want to pay to Sly Stone.

Surprised they aren't making a bigger deal about the only known Little Wing videotape or film.

jhm and pool_of_tears like this.
  19. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

I think both parties are testing the waters with this one event. IF the R A Hall is sold out, Goldstein and EH will come to their senses and release the movie and music.

20. davies54

davies54 Forum Resident

I Don't think it will an anniversary release (Feb 2020) too soon atfer B.O.G. but hopefully sometime next year, another box-set with all the video they have. plus audio's of both Albert Hall shows, and the other European shows on Dagger.

21. Gordon Johnson

Yes, the actual concert footage [along with the none RAH footage] survived and has been restored.

Yes, freely available on more than one public forum discussion site. As has been mentioned already in this thread, this is not the first time the concert footage has been "aired" in recent years.

22. Gordon Johnson

Love the optimism shown. Just hope it gets thru' to the relevant parties :)

23. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

If ? It will be an instant sell out, tickets will be on eBay at quadruple face value.

24. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

But will the motion picture still include the groovy kaleidoscopic acid trip effects?

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sadly Jimi's reportedly hilarious accompanying commentary was only done live to playback!