The John Denver appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Twelvepitch, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wonderful...yes, check out Dick Kniss...

Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  2. Michael

I was lucky enough to get an autographed copy at a used book store...great book.

Jarleboy and EVOLVIST like this.
  3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I like some of Denver's music. He wasn't a huge favorite but some of the songs were great, especially at the time for me, and I liked his Oh God films back in the day. It really bugged me that he went down in a plane. All the fine musicians and music people that have been lost in small planes and helicopters... that really gets to me. Not a fan of those flying machines anymore, that's for sure.

Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

As I've noted in these parts before, I own the earliest known live recording of JD (then still performing as Deutchendorf) from early '64, in great quality, playing at a small folk club in San Diego. I spoke with his estate and they simply weren't interested in this piece of musical history... unless I 'donated' it to them. Most bizarre... their loss, its a great show !

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Dave112, Hep Alien, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  5. Michael

very cool... but unfortunately our loss as well.

Dave112, Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  6. What, were you trying to milk them for the tape? :whistle:

Twelvepitch likes this.
  7. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

Hahah ! No, not trying to 'milk' them... but I would've thought they'd be a little bit more interested given the historical significance ! Just seemed to shrug it off...

Twelvepitch likes this.
  8. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Saw John live around 30 years ago. He forgot his words to Poems, Prayers & Promises and asked the audience for help with a whole verse:eek::)

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

John Denver was a very likable person.

10. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

When I was very young my parents had a John Denver hits tape in the car and the cover showed John in glasses. To my limited brain at that time I thought he was the guy who sang Imagine, as all I knew about that guy was his name was John and he wore glasses. So for a little while as a kid Denver and Lennon were the same person!

But those memories of driving around listening to John Denver are wonderful, such a beautiful voice and songbook. Unfortunately my mum was sat on the window sill one day looking out over the fields behind our house and listening to John on vinyl when she received a call saying her mother had been coughing up blood. This was the precursor to her discovering the lung cancer that ultimately she died from, so I try to avoid my mum from hearing his music anymore.

So some very strong memories about John Denver, both good and bad, but he was wonderful, there’s no denying that.

Ken Wood, Hep Alien, keyXVII and 2 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Not a huge fan of his work, but he had a great voice. Have his GH CD which obviously has some great moments and also his Windsong album, which I find to be really strong.

Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I like John, but I'm I'm not an obsessed fan at all. He has some super remarkable recordings
    and his talents are stellar.
    I'm not sure why, but I love this one:

Amazing and beautiful.

13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Sunshine" was a movie I saw as a kid & loved it. I've been waiting & wishing for years to get it on DVD. I was so happy to see it available on Blu-Ray & now have it in my collection. Now I'm wishing for all the John Denver & Carpenters TV specials.

14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

It wasn't cool to like Denver in my circle of friends where he was simply referred to as Cakes On The Griddle but I just couldn't help myself. He had me at Take Me Home Country Roads. This is one of his best and yet unheralded songs that manage to find the beauty in melancholy. As to the clip, it takes stones to perform in such a simple setting and nail it.

15. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

This thread has been a great turnout!! Love ya'll's posts!

Rick Bartlett and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

Indeed...me as well!

17. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Loved John Denver's music...such great songs! I love Annie's Song.....and "Country Boy".....and "Sunshine on My Shoulders" and "Rocky Mountain High"....terrific voice and music.

18. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Coincidentally, I’ve been reading through a bunch of old Stereo Review magazines online. It’s neat to read the gear reviews, album reviews, features, etc. For whatever reason, Denver’s early albums got pretty consistent rave reviews in that magazine. They even chose to highlight albums like “Take Me To Tomorrow” and “Whose Garden Was This” - they even praised his rendition of “Mr. Bojangles!” (?) The honeymoon lasted until “Back Home Again,” which they called Rocky Mountain Low. I don’t get it, “Back Home Again” is a great album as far as I’m concerned.

19. Michael

I find that odd as well...I can see the 80's but NONE of the 70's.

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Michael

his Poems. Prayers & Promises album is golden!

21. Michael

John usually brings out great threads...

22. Michael

me too! I've been hoping for a DVD and getting a BD was icing on the cake! I had a TV rip from years ago that was abysmal! now we need Sunshine Christmas!!!!

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

This dvd is obviously no secret how good the man was:
    [​IMG]

oboogie and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Another fan here. My sister bought his "I WANT TO LIVE" album on cassette when she invested in her first stereo system. She played it all the time, and I HATED it! The songs, his voice, the arrangements... Everything. After having been cruelly subjected to this torturous music... I fell in love with it, and "I WANT TO LIVE" is still my favourite John Denver album. Favourite songs are "POEMS, PRAYERS & PROMISES", "SINGING SKIES AND DANCING WATERS", "I´D RATHER BE A COWBOY (LADY´S CHAINS)", "ECLIPSE", "WINDSONG", "COME AND LET ME LOOK IN YOUR EYES", "LIKE A SAD SONG", "YOU SAY THAT THE BATTLE IS OVER", "DRUTHERS"... and so many others.

My sister has long since abandoned Mr. Denver, but I consider him one of the warmest and the best.

25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

One of my favorites is the song Matthew, I guess about his uncle. It ties in with some family history of homesteaders, though in MN, WI and IL, not Kansas.