The John Denver appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Twelvepitch, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Re the Blu-ray of "SUNSHINE"... Has anyone tried playing it on a Region B player? Is it region free? I do hope so. :agree:

Edit: Amazon specifies it as an "ALL REGIONS" Blu-ray. They are not always that specific, or even right, about technical specifications, but I am willing to take a chance.

Michael likes this.
  2. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

It was not cool to be a fan of John Denver when I was in high school, but secretly, I think everyone liked Sunshine on my Shoulders. Now I have the Greatest Hits cd, and that is a great listen for me and my wife.

joy stinson, Michael and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what year?

joy stinson and Twelvepitch like this.
  4. Michael

no info on back cover...
    Sunshine Blu-ray

Sunshine Blu-ray

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Jarleboy

No info on back cover... except that it is a Universal release. And Universal releases are always region free. So it seems that I shall be lucky, after all. :righton: I have already ordered it.

6. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident

Matthew is one of my favorite songs ever. The stripped down alternate take on the Back Home Again remaster is fantastic.

7. Michael

great! we're damn lucky to get this on BD. I'm thrilled.

Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  8. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I'm a pretty big John Denver fan. I really dig his live albums a lot, too. He was an amazing songwriter and singer.

Beautiful song, definitely one of my all time favorites, too.

Back Home is one of my favorite albums by him. I can't really say it's better song for song than several of his others, which may hang together better, but that's usually the first one I go to when going on a Denver kick.

9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

High School 1976-80. John Denver was OK in junior high, but once in H.S., it was Ted Nugent, Foghat, BOC, AC/DC, Led Zep, Stones, Who. But I think most of us liked John Denver's songs when they came on our parents preferred radio station..we just could not admit it.

joy stinson and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

When I was younger I frowned at John Denver thinking he was sort of lame or boring.

In 2016 I went on a journey from houston to California in a rented van to go to the desert trip festival. It was me, my brother and two old friends who are still heavily into getting high. So long story short after being on the road for 20 hours, it was pitch black and somehow it was my turn to drive as we were all taking turns with no stopping besides gas and bathroom.

I was partaking in things I hadn't in a long time due to the group I was with..

I could barely keep my eyes open as I had been awake well over 24 hours and everyone was passed out. I had this station on satellite radio that was playing the likes of Gordon lightfoot and seals and Croft. Just as my fatigue and anxiety was peaking john denver-rocky mountain high came on. I can't explain it but the song transported me and dropped me in a calm, happy, anxiety free zone. His voice soothed me and suddenly all was well. After this experience I have gotten into him and appreciate his sincerity and soothing songs.

11. Jarleboy

Right again! :righton:

Ken Wood and Twelvepitch like this.
  12. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It’s something like this that humanized him to me.

Darryl

Hep Alien, Jarleboy and Twelvepitch like this.
  13. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I know, I know, the Beatles get into every thread, but I felt it was worth posting this, which I only just heard for the first time:

I did not recognise who it was until it was announced. It does not even sound to me like John Denver - I thought it must have been some Cajun artist.

Hep Alien and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Hedley Lamarr

Hedley Lamarr Forum Resident

I’ll leave this here... but I sure as hell ain’t listenin to it. No onions will be peeled this morning.

16. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

The first time I heard Take Me Home Country Roads, I was a kid with my family
    traveling down a dirt road in Bad Axe, Mich. to the farm where my Mom was raised.
    We had traveled from NC to get there. Hearing those lyrics for the first time was like
    he had written it for us at that moment. My mother became emotional because she only
    got back home once a year. I love John Denver, but I can't listen very often because the
    memories are intense. Some good, some sad.

17. Michael

what did you think of it?

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Michael

his cover of Junk is great as well...

Hep Alien, Jarleboy and Mr. H like this.
  19. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

I love John Denver. I am trying to find a collection that covers all of his hits +. Any recommendations?

Jarleboy, Twelvepitch and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

I have all the individual albums on CD...stay away from the 4 CD box set it has heavy noise reduction...Country Roads Collection...I bought it at the time for ONE SONG! Casey's Last Ride...terrible sound...thankfully Aerie turned up years later in great sound on a Japanese CD...
    [​IMG]

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Thank you very much for this information. I really appreciate your response. I almost bought Country Roads yesterday. I will start purchasing the individual CD's. Thank you.

Jarleboy and Michael like this.
  22. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have a similar connection with my childhood. I have to say that his lyrics get me. They are disarmingly clear and heartfelt - incredibly brave.

steve phillips likes this.
  23. Michael

some of the later comps and single CDs are excellent
    A Song's Best Friend Import CD has remixes
    John Denver's Greatest Hits remaster is good...
    John Denver's Definitive All Time Greatest Hits is good...
    ALL of the Japanese individual CDs are EXCELLENT, but OOP and quite expensive...

24. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Do you or does anyone have any view on the Japan/Hong Kong reissue:

Greatest Hits CD Compilation, Numbered, Reissue, Remastered, K2 HD Mastering: Sony 88883757582 ?

Twelvepitch and Michael like this.
  25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Hep Alien and OptimisticGoat like this.