Joker - 2019 Film*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Memories are a bad thing .. one bad day:D

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, I go with the original Bill Finger/Bob Kane scenario where he just fell into a vat of chemicals that stained his skin deathly white. The origins of all these heroes and villains have been revised a hundred times over the last 90 years.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...I'll buy it! should be very interesting...but then again I love the Batman franchise and anything that goes along with it. : )

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This new. Makeup Must be an attempt not to reference Heath Ledger’s “sloppy Courtney Love” makeup Its more a Caesar Romero throwback.

alexpop likes this.
  5. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I always preferred the Red Hood origin story. It’s a bummer this version is some poor bastard that got picked on, so that turned him into supposedly one of the greatest (if not the greatest) comic book villains of all time.

6. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I'm probably in the minority but everything about this looks calculated and predictable. The sledgehammer of irony they apply in using "Smile" in the trailer does not persuade me one bit.

Shawn and Ghostworld like this.
  7. Looks great . More of a character study which IMHO could make it spectacular.

old4mat, agaraffa, GodShifter and 2 others like this.
  8. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I loathe comic book films and this looks great.

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I did see the trailer. Doesn’t look too bad, could be a decent flick.

10. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Where Batman at?

Vidiot likes this.
  11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I came late to this thread. This afternoon, based on the trailer I watched on page one I thought they had a competing version of the story with Willem Dafoe. That trailer looked scary and great!
    I like Joachin a lot as an actor and I think he is the wrong actor for this role. The idea that he just gets turned into the Joker doesn't mean a lot to me and it paints him as slightly one dimensional. Could be a good story and movie though. I know I will see it when it comes out.

I am a DC comic nerd going way back though I bailed once they started redoing origins. I like the idea that Joker was the Red Hood and I like the version where he fell in a vat to make his face like this. It makes plausible the original stories carried through the 70s where his victims were permanently etched with a toxic gas making a grimacing smile.
    I thought I remembered this from the comics but apparently it's from the 1989 Batman movie that still another version of Joker's origin is as the criminal who killed Bruce Wayne's parents. I enjoy the circular nature of that version. It makes the whole story of Joker and Batman very mythological.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Howzabout the alternate-reality version where Alfred is finally revealed to be the Joker! When you think about it, all the actors that've played Alfred through the years would make amazing Jokers!;)

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Looks really good but it's only a trailer. Looks like a really cool 'alternative resort's Joker story as it seems to be more of a standalone type thing.

14. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Ok. This looks epic.

15. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The trailer makes me think of those mid-70’s movies that all looked depressing and the endings were always sad. As far as Joker stories go this looks like it’s better than
    ‘Batman uses a Mobius chair to break the fourth wall and discover there are multiverse Jokers!’ But not as good as the insane fan theory ‘Batman is actually the crazy one. He hangs around a NYC BDSM club and the rogue’s gallery are just the other club members who dress up in costumes and get their freak on every week. The ‘Joker’ is well dressed an quick with a joke which puts him at odds with ‘Batmans’ Black leather and scowls and bad attitude. Alfred isn’t a Butler but Batman’s legal guardian that picks him up from the police station in the mornings and makes sure he takes his antipsychotics.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  16. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If he hoots and hollers as the joker, At least this might be a movie where you can finally understand what Joaquin Phoenix is saying. I think He’d make Better Dick Tracy Mumbles.

18. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Final trailer. I think this looks amazing. I just hope the plot is rock solid.

And I'm big fan of Scorsese's The King of Comedy, so there's that too.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This looks warped enough to be really good, I'm in.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Poster from the Warner Bros. UK Twitter feed.

[​IMG]

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Fotrunately it seems there's yet another radioactive spider for every Spidey movie, eh?
    Personally, I feel sorry for the planet Krypton - it's the "Kenny" ("You bastards!") of celestial bodies...

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The reasons The Joker is a problem for Batman are: (1) Batman will not take the steps necessary (basically killing) to actually stop The Joker so all Batman does is imprison him, (2) The Joker is unpredictable, and (3) The Joker has a rare metal in his body that allows him to recover from injuries that would normally be fatal (according to a recently released DC Character Guide).

Concerning Superman and Lex Luthor, this clip from Justice League will explain it:

Consider the Flashpoint version of The Joker: Due to an alteration in the timeline, Bruce Wayne is murdered in Crime Alley and his parents survive. His father becomes Batman (but one who has no problem using lethal force), his mother becomes The Joker (the loss of her son drove her insane, something I didn't notice when I read it that Wikipedia mentioned is that she looks a bit like the Heath Ledger version of The Joker, including cutting her cheeks to create scars).

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  23. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Given how wrong I was about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker in The Dark Knight, I will give this film a chance and go in with an open mind.

I only hope it lives up to expectations.

Rick Sanchez and GodShifter like this.
  24. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This is one of the issues I've had with recent comics featuring Superman: There are dozens of Kryptonians who survived the explosion of Krypton.

One of the best things the did when they rebooted Superman in the 1980s is that they made it so he was, once again, the only survivor of Krypton. Later writers added that the reason he is the only survivor is that the other Kryptonians were genetically tied to Krypton and could not leave the planet. The goal was to make Superman unique, although they later introduced a Supergirl, and a Superboy (not Kryptonian but connected to Superman in a way).

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And of course, ya can't have Krypton without Adam Strange hangin' out there, decades earlier, right...with...Lobo...o_O
    Surprised Sugar and Spike haven't showed-up yet...:shrug: