The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

Then there's the Mingus stuff she did before she settled for the final band and arrangements. And there was a live album recorded at Carnegie Hall in 1970 that was canned at the last minute.

2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Carnegie was 1969. There were also plans for Troubadour ‘72 as a live album and the Gene Autry Theater set from 1995 as a live album. Also I’d do anything to hear a soundboard-sourced concert from 1976. They exist somewhere.

3. jlf

There were also plans for a tie-in soundtrack to the Isle of Wight Festival film that was recently released. I wonder where that will figure in these sets?

sunspot42 and phillyal1 like this.
  4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

There was also a great 1972 Carnegie show (February 23, IIRC) where she previewed a bunch of For The Roses stuff. A cleaned-up CD version of that would probably be my most-wanted item from her archives.

5. jlf

That one is audience-sourced I think, but I agree it would be welcome. Along with all the one-off songs she did live. I’d die happy to hear her cover of “Sweetheart Like You” from the Walden Benefit 2002.

rednax likes this.
  6. jlf

And Raised On Robbery with Neil on guitar. ;)

7. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I absolutely fell out of my chair when watching the Rolling Thunder MockYouMentary when they all of a sudden switched to (Previously unseen) Joni demoing Coyote to Bob Dylan and others joining in as Gordon Lightfoot was cooking something in the kitchen behind them. Heaven!!!

Smitten

Some people got offended by the comments they made about her “tagging along the whole tour”

This was all in jest. The whole move was a deadpan satire - watch it again if you missed that.

To think years later Joni would do her Bobby Z stick.

Would love to see huge lush boxsets of Blue, Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer Lawns and especially Hejira.

Some solo piano demos.. open tuning guitars with a simple accompaniment

Embellish please

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  8. jlf

From my estimation there are at least 300 individual “dates” (whether concerts, interviews, demos, etc) circulating. There’s a lot more in the vault I bet.

Boswell likes this.
  9. jlf

She wasn’t wrong at all, though. And they still appreciate each other’s artistry, clearly.

audiotom likes this.
  10. jlf

I wonder how many of those unreleased songs that made it into the Morning Glory on the Vine book will be in the box set.

11. audiotom

Did Joni and Laura Nyro ever sit down together?

I know Joni once mention that hearing Laura’s early 70s work led her back to playing more piano.

I would love to see a lavish set like David Bowie started for each of his releases last year.
    That was purely cds though

There is a good chance they would go all analog on the mastering.
    When Blue - Hejira were done as audiophile pressings - they were all analog and mastered impeccably.

Someone just needs to spend a little time tweaking the outtake material

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Neil Young thought the same thing! Then the different iterations got heavily discounted everywhere.

13. jlf

At least Neil fans got something. Actually, they have his life’s work on a website. And still find something to get picky about, as we often do on here. ;)

14. jlf

Sure did!
    [​IMG]

15. audiotom

And record?

Heaven

Thanks for sharing!

Damn - those cigarettes
    Really hurt Joni later
    Laura’s voice held but she passed at 50

Paperback Writer likes this.
  16. jlf

Joni learned what to do with her voice, though. Every album her voice is slightly different from the last. And it was her choice after all.

If Laura and Joni ever recorded there’s nothing written about it. Joni does credit Laura with getting her back into playing piano in 1969. :)

sunspot42, Boswell and audiotom like this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The best version of the Gene Autry set is so good I don't know how much an official version could improve on it, but I'll buy it if it's part of the opening of the vault.

+1 on a pro recording from '76.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I have the last two recordings she made, Travelogue and Shine, and based on some of what was written about them, I expected her to sound pretty wrecked, her voice reduced to a husk. I don't think she sounds bad at all. Quite the opposite.

Lars1966 likes this.
  19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

That's not the point. The issue was whether this is the best way for Joni to generate cash, if that's what she needs. A deluxe Blue, or Hissing, or Hejira would seem to be a better bet, IMO. I think Neil over-estimated how many people were prepared to buy his archives. I only got my Blu-Ray edition through a Popmarket deal.

20. jlf

Now I see what you’re saying. I prefer a comprehensive look at her whole career over deluxe versions of certain albums. Joni seems to think the same way, that her career is more than her biggest successes or most acclaimed work, that there’s more to her than Blue. As for price, I think a ~$50 price point is perfect (though the vault-starved fans would probably buy at any price...) but hey, if they wanted to release deluxe versions of Blue, etc. I’d gladly cough up the dough.

21. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Most exciting release news for me since the Bobbie Gentry box set. Put me down for automatic purchase of all Joni Mitchell archival releases!

aseriesofsneaks, jlf and Alan57 like this.
  22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I'll buy everything she has to offer. Greatest artist living next to Neil and Bob. :love::love::love:

Kristofa, Boswell, connorjake and 3 others like this.
  23. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

This is the best reissue news I have heard in years. Fingers crossed.

audiotom, rednax and jlf like this.
  24. Great news. That Canterbury House 1967 set sure looks interesting. I hope this also leads to mid 70s stuff (For The Roses to Hejira) which is my favourite Joni Mitchell era.

aseriesofsneaks and jlf like this.
  25. DesertIslander

DesertIslander Recidivist

I won’t believe it until I see it, but this is excellent news. I am excited to hear everything – outtakes, demos, live – up through about 1976. Her work gets less rewarding for me after that, though most of her later albums have some strong tracks.

After decades I just got used to her stubbornness about releasing archival material – compared to Neil and Bob, she’s given us zilch, and I want to single out Love Has Many Faces as one of the most useless box sets of all time. With zero unreleased material, it somehow made both classic 70s songs and lesser 80s/90s work sound worse by trying to shoehorn the songs into some kind of thematic narrative.

Anyway, fingers crossed. I think I’ll go play Hejira.

audiotom likes this.