The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Of course, the real hidden gem is For the Roses. For the life of me, I can't understand why they never reissued it on vinyl. It's strange considering they did every other album from Ladies of the Canyon to Hejira. I wonder if the tapes have deteriorated, or are missing.

2. Released on Asylum rather than Reprise so doesn’t fit.I’m guessing there will be a further box set or sets covering those albums.

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was remastered for HDTracks a few years ago so I don’t think it has to do with missing pieces. Maybe it’s one that just unfairly gets lost between to smash hits.

4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

As a future consideration, including hi-res downloads would be another great way to incentivize people to buy from Joni’s site. That’s a nice perk of ordering from Neil’s site even when other retailers have it for less.

tyler928 likes this.
  5. Tylershamone

Tylershamone Well-Known Member

I am beyond excited for this release (and whatever releases are to come after). Can’t wait to have a mint and remastered copy of the first two albums. I have been dreaming of Turbulent Indigo & Taming the Tiger on vinyl for decades.

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed, it was weird that Rhino skipped Song to the Seagull and Clouds, and also For the Roses.

I've been expecting these three to be reissued since 2007 when they started the fantastic versions
    of Ladies, Blue, Court, Hissing, and Hejira. I guess those were considered the strongest 5 titles,

So now looks like they could reissue the studio albums in bunches of 4 lps in sets:
    4 Reprise - Vol. 1. Seagull to Blue
    4 Asylum - Vol. 2 Roses to Hissing
    4 Asylum - Vol. 3 Hejira to Shadows
    4 Geffen - same rights? Wild things to Night Ride
    4 Reprise - Turbulent to Both sides

1 Craft - Shine - already in print

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  7. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Don't forget about Travelogue (one of her greatest albums). I hope we get some Archive material from this album too (eg; Coyote).

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

According to Analog Planet:

While the Song to a Seagull was remixed to 192/24 digital and that LP was cut from the high resolution file,
    the other three, Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon, and Blue were cut from the original analog master tapes.
    Bernie Grundman mastered both the CDs and the LPs.
    Both RTI (USA) and Optimal (EU) are pressing the LPs for different global regions.
    Vinyl available June 25th limited to 10,000 copies

lucan_g, Johan1880, aphexj and 3 others like this.
  9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's on Nonesuch, don't know if the rights are in the same basket, hope so!
    Never been released on vinyl, like a couple of the other albums from that era,
    would be so great to have it all.

10. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Travelogue seems like a divisive album, but I love it. I wasn’t expecting much, but then I was entranced.

11. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Same here.

Chief likes this.
  12. jlf

Nonesuch is part of Warner and since it’s now nearly 20 years old it’s long been catalog. So it’s under Rhino.

When it comes to rights, Rhino has the material from 1968-1980 and 1994-2005, Universal has 1982-1991 and Shine. I hope the series covers it all.

13. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Works for me

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Anyone with a good computer/streaming set up compare the new A Case Of You download to previous releases?

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I note a single CD would have time for both mixes of the debut.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There's nothing especially great about the original mix on the debut. The versions currently in print sound pretty veiled, to my ears. A bit of gentle EQ on the vocals, nixing that generic room reverb, and keeping everything else pretty much intact would go a long way towards improving it... and I suspect that's exactly what Joni's done here (fingers crossed)

aseriesofsneaks, Eric_Generic and jlf like this.
  17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I would be so happy for all of the quadraphonic mixes (including the unreleased) to be added to this project.

aseriesofsneaks and BlueGangsta like this.
  18. b.smith

b.smith Forum Resident

I second that!

19. jlf

20. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Off Topic post, beware !

I want a Night Ride Home reissue on vinyl please ! :mudscrying:

21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Me Too!

22. jlf

While we wait I thought I’d share a few new photos. Evidently Joni has been out and about more lately. Brandi Carlile says JM is fully vaccinated and plans to start up her home jam sessions with friends soon.

Here she is on the 28th checking out David Hockney’s latest exhibit.
    [​IMG]

And last night she hung out with Rick Beato. According to Joni’s producer, she really enjoyed his video about Amelia.

[​IMG]

23. Pandrew79

Pandrew79 Swimming.

Found this not too long ago interview with Chaka Khan discussing her TBD Joni covers album. She also speaks about her jam sessions with Joni at her house.

Andrew Blaker and bluemooze like this.
  24. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Rick Beato, living the dream. What a wonderful picture.

audiotom likes this.
  25. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Forgive me for my ignorance. I understand that the Seagull album is a digital pressing but when you say that the other three were cut from the analog master tapes does that mean that in the process the LPs were never converted to digital and then back to analog? Are they pure analog?