The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

GregorSamsa likes this.
  2. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

I cannot recall the consensus from when Volume 1 shipped, but what were people's experiences with ordering through Joni's website?

3. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Ordering through jonimitchell.com, Volume 1 cd box and the 2 vinyl releases (early joni and canterbury) took about 10 days after release date to reach me.

Reprise albums cd box and vinyl box arrived today, 12 days after release date.

:rolleyes:

4. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

My Canadian address will take longer, probably. More concerned if things were well packed.

5. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Well packaged, yes, with styrofoam corner inserts to keep the vinyl from shifting around in the box. Everything so far has arrived in tip top shape.

redsock and lazydawg58 like this.
  6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I’m guessing that most folk here who are interested in Joni already own Archives Volume 1, but a quick heads up for anyone still on the fence: this box set is now officially OOP (at least in the U.K.) as of 12 July 2021.

7. Andrew Blaker

Andrew Blaker Forum Resident

Might we be able to expect any more "singles"/releases from the upcoming Volume 2? :)

8. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

11. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Nice!! Super excited for Archives Vol 2!

12. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Thanks! The fact that this tape has been found and also will be published is TOTALLY INSANE! :winkgrin: thanks!

P.S.

I hope the OP @jlf is still around?

Lars1966, aseriesofsneaks and qtrules like this.
  13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

14. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Incredible. God know how many tapes were trashed when people died. We're lucky.

GregorSamsa likes this.
  15. GregorSamsa

GregorSamsa Forum Resident

It's remarkable that this ever came to light when it could so easily have been permanently lost. An important bit of musical history and it's nice to see that the YT video contextualises it with its quotes from Jimi's diary and that evocative photo of him taping the set. Finds like this and the 1963 set that came to light with the first Archives volume are highlighting how much is being brought back to light by this project and the care with which it's being done.

Zafu, Ian S, Pnin and 4 others like this.
  16. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

This channel has done some utterly immaculate restorations of the Hissing demos.

17. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Any coupon codes out there I may be able to use for the 10 LP set?

Edit: Doubt it or likely would have been mentioned. Too anxious about possibly getting shut out on this so pre-ordered. 4,000 copies is not very much, especially considering her world-wise appeal. Just wow ! Can't wait.

Zafu

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    WaterLemon likes this.
  18. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

After 37 years of not playing Vinyl, finally got my turntable back last week and exploring my 500+ collection is a trip and forgot how detailed and warm vinyl can be. Anyway, cleaned up my Clouds album, bought around release and it sounds absolutely amazing. Very few pops and just a joy to listen to. Another cleaning session planned later today & looking forward to getting around to all of Joni's albums I previously bought. Thanks goodness I saved all these.

Zafu

19. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

"New" track posted today:

20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes! But also notice the release date is now November 12 for Archives 2 and Carnegie Hall.

17-Song, Two-Set Performance To Be Available As 3-LP Set, Also Included In Forthcoming Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 2 Boxed Set
    “Chelsea Morning” Available Now Digitally From Live Recording Of The Show Made By Reprise Records On February 1, 1969
    LISTEN NOW

Archives Vol.2 And Vinyl Set Release Date Moved To November 12, Plus Limited Edition White Vinyl
    Available Exclusively At JoniMitchell.com

LOS ANGELES – On February 1, 1969, almost a year after Joni Mitchell released her debut album Song to a Seagull, the 25-year-old singer-songwriter was standing on stage at Carnegie Hall in New York City playing the first major concert of her young career for a sold-out crowd that included Bob Dylan. Graham Nash, who was Mitchell’s partner at the time, was there too, along with her parents visiting from Canada. Her performance that night earned glowing reviews, including this one from Billboard’s Fred Kirby:
    “Joni Mitchell charmed a packed Carnegie Hall audience on Saturday…Miss Mitchell doesn’t merely sing a song, the fine folk artist effectively interprets her material. And what a lineup of material! Beginning with ‘Chelsea Morning” and ending with a medley of ‘The Circle Game’ and the new ‘Little Green,’ the outstanding material flowed.”

Fatefully, her label Reprise Records recorded the entire concert with plans to release it. More than 50 years later, the show will finally make its long-awaited debut on November 12 as part of JONI MITCHELL ARCHIVES VOL. 2: THE REPRISE YEARS (1968-1971). On the same day, the performance will be released separately as a 3-LP set on 180-gram vinyl for with an exclusive 180-gram, white vinyl version, limited to 3,000 copies, available at www.JoniMitchell.com. The vinyl showcases the full audio across five LP sides with the sixth side featuring an etching of the American eagle that donned Mitchell’s skirt at the Carnegie Hall show. As a preview, Mitchell’s performance of “Chelsea Morning” from the show is available today digitally.

The 7”x7” art print that comes exclusively with all orders made on the official Joni Mitchell store has a connection to the Carnegie Hall show. It’s a reproduction of the drawing Mitchell made on the letter she sent to Joel Bernstein, her personal photographer, inviting him to the concert.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He came and took pictures that day, including one taken shortly before the show that captures Mitchell at the piano warming up while Nash and her parents look on.

Mitchell recalls the backstage scene in her conversation with Cameron Crowe from the liner notes in ARCHIVES VOL. 2: “I flew my parents [Bill and Myrtle] in for the show. We walked over to Carnegie Hall from the Plaza Hotel. Graham was wearing a floor-length maxi coat, black velvet, but with a pink-and-white chiffon tie-dye scarf. And I was wearing a green-and-white plaid coat. I’ve still got it. It looked like something from a Dickens play. My mother was embarrassed to be seen with us!”
    [​IMG]

Joni Mitchell Backstage At Carnegie Hall With Graham Nash And Her Parents
    Photo Credit ©Joel Bernstein

Graham Nash picks up the story in the liner notes that come exclusively with the 3-LP vinyl set: “Joni had bought a long vintage skirt that was made for a parade. On the front, in colorful sequins, was a large American eagle, and on the back was . . . a large artichoke. At some point earlier in the evening Myrtle said, ‘Oh, Joan. Is that what you’re going to wear at Carnegie Hall? They look like rags.’”

Mitchell finishes the story: “My father came forward and said, ‘Oh, Myrt, she looks like a queen in those rags.’ I loved him for that. Thank God for Papa. He gave me back myself.”

That night, Mitchell thrilled the audience as she played most of the songs from Songs to a Seagull (“I Had A King”); several from the album she was about the record, Clouds (“That Song About The Midway”); plus a few destined for 1970’s Ladies of the Canyon(“Blue Boy”), and 1971’s Blue (“Little Green”).

She opened the show with “Chelsea Morning,” a song about her apartment on West 16th Streetin Manhattan’s Chelsea District. In the lyrics, Mitchell mentions waking up to rainbows on the wall and incense owls by night. Both were inspired by real things in her apartment. The light show was from a mobile she built using wire and colored slag glass that she found near the club she was playing at in Philadelphia. And the incense owl found a new home with Bernstein, who has it to this day.
    [​IMG]

Incense Owl From Joni Mitchell’s Apartment In Chelsea
    Photo Credit ©Joel Bernstein

In the vinyl set’s liner notes, Nash vividly recalls the start of the show: “Joni began with ‘Chelsea Morning.’ She had the crowd immediately on her side when she began the song, but for some reason stopped and had to start it again. Right after that, some people from the crowd gave Joni a large, handmade Valentine sign. What followed was a concert of music that stirred my heart and made me realize what an enormous talent Joni is… Simply a show, given by someone who lived life and love to the fullest, pouring out her heart and soul, alone, before your eyes. A queen in rags indeed.”

The tracks on ARCHIVES VOL. 2 have been sequenced chronologically to follow Mitchell in real time through one of the most creative periods of her career. The collection uncovers several unreleased Mitchell originals, including “Jesus” recorded in 1969 at her friend Jane Lurie’s New York apartment in Chelsea, which also served as the setting for the song “Chelsea Morning.”
    Other highlights include five Blue outtakes that were released digitally last month as Blue 50 (Demos & Outtakes) including early demos of “A Case Of You” and California,” a version of “River” that adds French horns, an alternate version of “Urge For Going,” and the unreleased song “Hunter.” Also included is Mitchell’s performance at Le Hibou Coffee House in Ottawa on March 19, 1968 that was recorded by Jimi Hendrix and a concert at the Paris Theatre in London on October 29, 1970, that was broadcast on the BBC, in which singer-songwriter James Taylor joins Mitchell for the second half of the show.

Like its predecessor, ARCHIVES VOL. 2 includes a booklet illustrated with many unseen photos from Mitchell’s personal collection, as well as new liner notes reflecting conversations about the time period between Crowe and Mitchell.

ARCHIVES VOL. 2 serves as a companion to the recently released boxed set The Reprise Albums (1968-1971), which is available now in 4-CD, 4-LP, and digital versions. It includes newly remastered versions of Song To A Seagull (1968), Clouds (1969), Blue (1971) and Ladies Of The Canyon (1970).

LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL, FEBRUARY 1, 1969
    LP Track Listing
    First Set
    Side One
    1. “Chelsea Morning”
    2. A Valentine for Joni
    3. “Cactus Tree”
    4. “Night In The City”
    5. “I Had A King”
    Side Two
    1. “Blue Boy”
    2. My American Skirt
    3. “The Fiddle And The Drum”
    4. Spoony’s Wonderful Adventure
    5. “That Song About The Midway”
    6. “Both Sides Now”
    Second Set
    Side Three
    1. “Marcie”
    2. “Nathan La Franeer”
    3. Intro to “The Gallery”
    4. “The Gallery”
    5. “Hunter”
    6. “Morning Morgantown”
    Side Four
    1. Intro to “Get Together”
    2. “Get Together”
    3, Intro to “The Circle Game/Little Green”
    4. “The Circle Game/Little Green”
    Encore
    Side Five
    1. “Michael From Mountains”
    2. Intro to “Urge For Going”
    3. “Urge For Going”
    Side Six
    Etching Of American Eagle Design From The Skirt Mitchell Wore At Carnegie Hall Show

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  21. Andrew Blaker

Andrew Blaker Forum Resident

Well, damn.

22. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Just wanted to mention how responsive and cooperative the folks at the Joni site are. Long story short, I decided I just couldn't swing the cost of the full vinyl box, so they refunded me. I ended up pre0rdering the CD Box and Limited white vinyl of the live show.

GregorSamsa, RobCos02330 and Jimbino like this.
  23. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Doing exactly this as we speak. Passed up Billy Joel and Tattoo You boxes so I could afford this one. Listening to Archives one disc three while I do it.

Zafu likes this.
  24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

We’ve waited 52 years for the Carnegie album - what’s another two weeks… ;)

25. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

I wonder if the new Carnegie Hall recording is sourced from a master made back in the day or if it's been mixed from the multitracks.

Whatever the case, I don't love the mix. It's very boomy and not much care has been taken with the vocal - it's not very distinct from the guitar and would benefit from compression or automation in some spots. Maybe a touch of reverb too.

I've been doing a bit of work on Vol 1 to restore and remix some of the audio on there. It looks like this set will be similar. Kind of a shame, since the Blue outtakes sound perfect.

daleyguy likes this.