The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There are three unreleased demos on The Complete Geffen Recordings.

2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

At least we got “Borderline” with a trumpet overdub? ;)

3. Ok..What about Joni and Judee Sill?

4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

This is fantastic news. Can't wait to see what develops here!!!

5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Not easy to find, and expensive. The last new copy I saw a couple years ago was $100.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I didn't know it was OOP. I bought it at release time.

7. jlf

Yep 17 years later and the only other previously unreleased thing we’ve heard is Borderline with a trumpet overdub. Oh and the complete Isle of Wight concert :)

8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

A couple months ago i heard about those jam sessions at Joni's house when Esperanza Spalding mentioned being in on the gig
    during an interview on the Broken Record podcast:

Esperanza Spalding — Broken Record

audiotom likes this.
  9. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I assume that's Aden Bowman, where one of my brothers went to school many years later. I wonder how much there is from S'toon before she left? And how much writing she was doing at the time.

Boswell likes this.
  10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

At least there was a vinyl version of Love Has Many Faces...that got me to purchase it.

jlf and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love her...I will be getting the CD box!

12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That's great. She did a book signing for Morning Glory...back in the fall of 2019, and the pictures I've seen show her in pretty good spirits.

When I read what James had posted on jonimitchell.com about visiting her, and that she was actually playing - that's enough. She doesn't need to do anything in public ever again, unless she feels strongly about it. It would be amazing. She's lucky to be alive, let alone playing and singing again.

13. jlf

Yep, she’s happy to sing for her friends and her family and that’s enough for me. We have 40 years of music to enjoy, all of them great in their own way. I don’t know of anyone who can beat her ‘68-‘80 run. Twelve years and not a bad record among them (not to mention the many gems from ‘82-‘07)

And we’re lucky to be alive at this time when Joni has decided to look back on her career. The Morning Glory on the Vine book, the Joni 75 concerts, the CD/DVD of those shows, Norman Seeff’s photo collection, Isle of Wight, Brandi Carlile’s Blue concert (Joni-approved!)... it’s been so exciting.

14. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

Yes, agreed, but the sound of the remasters on those classic 70s songs. Wow. This is Hoffman forums after all. I just want all of the albums from Court to Wild Things to sound that good.

I just made my own playlist of the good stuff on there.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2005 Dick Cavett DVD with Woodstock episode.

2009 CD release of Greenpeace show in Vancouver with James/Ochs.

[​IMG]
    2019 signature, not quite as "flowing" as her really nice 90's signature. If money was the motivation, she could EASILY crank out $500+ signed art prints. Any photos/videos of her signing in the past decade?

phillyal1 likes this.
  16. jlf

Oh yeah! Forgot about Amchitka -- great show. Glad to see another user on here went for the signed edition, that's another thing I never thought I'd own.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  17. jlf

Nope, Central High in Calgary.
    Joni Mitchell - A Chronology of Appearances

BTW, if anyone's looking for something Joni related to do until we get more information, a dig through that amazing website is always worthwhile.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

If there's a decent-sounding version of "Born to Take the Highway" on this, I'm buying it the day it's available! I've been waiting forever for that.

19. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

If we’re really lucky there are demos of her 80s songs and we’ll get to hear them as part of this series. Ever hear the demo of “Good Friends”? Incredible.

20. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I've read comments on Saskatoon nostalgia pages mentioning other casual appearances around town, but (as here) the Louis Riel coffee shop is always given as the first paid gig (it's former location on Broadway is where one of the two plaques in S'toon is) and it's too prairie perfect that she played at Waskesiu and the Legion. What's crazy is that she played Florida and Regina, SK in the same month once. Thanks for the tip.

Boswell and jlf like this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I have a really nice vinyl signed in the 90's. Never bought the book.

This 2013 photo of her signing is weird to compare to the 2019 signature.

[​IMG]

22. jlf

Here's her signing the book in October 2019 at Book Soup in LA, rocking the Issey Miyake pleated silks as usual. Official Joni Mitchell on Instagram: “Joni signs a copy of her new book Morning Glory on the Vine at @booksoup! #jonimitchell #booksoup #morninggloryonthevine”
    (This is the official instagram, btw, and you'll be able to find news there once it's available.)

23. jlf

One of my favorite recordings!

Chief likes this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

AUSGEZEICHNET!!

:righton:

25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I would LOVE ❤️ to hear these Early songs!!! (Some have been on Youtube.)