The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

As a big Joni fan, I obviously welcome this news. Let's face it, Joni's days as a public performer are done, and who knows how many years she has left with her own mortal coil, so it's nice that she can properly look back and re-evaluate whether archival stuff deserves a release.

That said, I hope she and her camp exercise better critical judgement than Bob Dylan's. Some of those 'Bootleg-Series' that Dylan has let out are amazing... and some are very badly chosen. As an example of the latter, the 'Halloween 1964' show was issued and is now the official acoustic-Dylan on Columbia record for posterity... and it's not very good.

But anyway, Joni has always exercised excellent taste and I'm sure she'll do the same with these, whatever they are!

2. The Dylan Bootleg Series and related live releases-66,Rolling Thunder,62-66- are the gold standard of archival releases.Jeff Rosen is close to my 21st century musical hero for his work on this.
    By the way I think Live 1964 is stunning.One of the best 2-3 solo live albums ever released by anyone.All IMHO of course.
    If the Joni camp aims at the Dylan archival standard I would be ecstatic.

3. connorjake

connorjake Forum Resident

That was during the 1973 "Tonight's The Night" rehearsals, apparently helped by plenty of tequila, Neil has mentioned it a few times and has attempted to get Joni to sanction the release of that session, story is she's always refused them to use her part.

4. connorjake

connorjake Forum Resident

I've got a couple of bootlegs of that 'For the roses" tour, pretty much her solo on guitar, dulcimer and piano, amazing versions of the songs, but sound quality on my copies is not very good. Jackson Browne was the support act, would make an impressive 2/3 CD release.

Hey Vinyl Man and George Blair like this.
  5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Vol. 1-3 is unbelievably great, of course. The '66 one they had to put out, since it was probably the world's most famous bootleg prior. I agree the Rolling Thunder one was well assembled (even if that isn't one of my favorite live periods -- yeah, I know everyone else loves it).
    Wow, really?? I can't understand why they wouldn't have issued the canceled 1963 Carnegie Hall show, which is superb, or one of the 1965 English shows (as seen in Dont Look Back). I find those way, way, musically superior to the 1964 show, where his voice sounds weird, he's clearly drunk, he forgets words, and the songs are played really, really slowly... to the point where I fall asleep.

6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe we can keep the merits of Bob’s box sets to its own thread? This one is about Joni.

7. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    More from Joni's complicated relationship with her hometown, courtesy of a musician friend there.

8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I wonder if that stems from her bitterness over the Ladies of the Canyon/Planet Waves incident. Some of the folks Young played with in that era were reportedly among the ones in the room for that.

9. jlf

That’d be Court and Spark, not Ladies of the Canyon.

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

So it is. They're both better than Planet Waves, anyway!

Chemguy and George Blair like this.
  11. jlf

Good one for today.

12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Stunning cover, one of my favorite performances ever. I can only hope there's more of this caliber in the vaults.

13. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Just as Lou Reed ended up having the time to supervise the remastering of his catalog, I hope Joni is able to complete a journey through her archive, that we may be able to enjoy many volumes of unreleased material curated by herself. So excited about these releases. I just can't wait!

Electric Sydney and jlf like this.
  14. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Considering that the Rhino LP of Blue done by Steve and Kevin is one of the best-sounding records ever made, if I were Joni I'd hire them to do the whole catalog on vinyl.

15. jlf

Bernie has done the last few vinyl reissues and the results have been stellar so far. :)

16. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Not familiar with the story - what happened, exactly?

17. jlf

Listing for the box set has been taken down. I expect the others to be removed soon, too. Plans are still on though.

18. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Bernie's done Joni longer than anyone. Just trying to get Steve back to work. ;)

19. jlf

Maybe this will be on Volume 3?

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  20. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

There are times when I think that 'Travelogue' is the best record Joni ever made... Hell, there are times when I think that 'Travelogue' is the best record anyone ever made...! - It's sublime and it absolutely never fails to make me cry. That's art, pure and simple.

21. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I hope plans for this release don't fall through. I've been longing for unreleased Joni songs since I got into her music twenty years ago. I bet she has some undiscovered gems locked away in those dusty vaults.

22. Garson

Garson Enthusiast

This is fantastic news. Love her work

23. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Joni played the album for David Geffen and a few others. Bob was also there and they played Planet Waves first. Everyone was effusive about Bob's album but had nothing to say about Court and Spark. Bob pretended to fall asleep while it played! After C&S finished, everyone went back to talking about Planet Waves. Awful.

Joni details the story in the liner notes of the Love Has Many Faces set. You can read them at her website here:

Joni Mitchell - Love Has Many Faces: A Quartet, A Ballet, Waiting To Be Danced

Lots of interesting stories told there.

LarryP, Lars1966, C6H12O6 and 2 others like this.
  24. WoW! Awesome News! Really excited.

Probably old stuff to most here, but here’s Joni displaying her creativity, audience rapport and humor in her early days. Enjoy!

danasgoodstuff and JimW like this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

If we are going for magical special deluxe boxsets

I would like
    Blue - with the smell of the Greek sea embossed on the the box
    Court and Spark - expanded solo piano versions of Down to You. A 73 concert video
    Hissing of Summer Lawns - any early piano only demos. Any live footage
    Hejira - many solo guitar demos - a Strange pillow of my wanderlust - Joni and Jaco isolated track - roadside photos and insights from Joni