The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

Oh trust me, I’m also extremely excited for the album remasters as well!

2. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Shouldn't these have been announced by now? Can anyone remember what the announcement date was last year?

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Then the quad box?

4. Chromatica

They were announced early April last year.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  5. Timjosephuk

Hope we're still getting then this year then :(

Chromatica likes this.
  6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

:edthumbs: Oh beHAVE! :edthumbs:

7. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

jlf and Timjosephuk like this.
  8. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

That Highlights disc turned out beautifully. A perfect sampler and alternate view of a genius at work.

TeddyB, imarcq and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  9. jlf

Can't spill too many of the beans but Joni has been in the studio... mixing some albums for Atmos! Here are some photos from yesterday's mixing session.
    Login • Instagram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Timjosephuk

Nice! Though I'd prefer the For The Roses - Hissing box to get released, so we can get on with Archives 3 before Christmas ...

ronbow and JDeanB like this.
  11. b.smith

b.smith Forum Resident

Wow! That's the last thing I expected to see. Can't wait for more info (and to hear the results).

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Excellent news!! Awesome

jlf likes this.
  13. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Not meaning to start a big debate, but I hope those new mixes see a physical release. I subscribe to Apple Music, but would still buy the blu-ray or DVD.

14. Chromatica

I have a weird feeling that this is so the next box of remasters can be posted to Apple Music in Dolby Atmos…

15. kmk pdx

kmk pdx Forum Resident

Anyone know why the Archives series seems suddenly to have gone silent? It seemed to be in a nice groove there - remastered LP box in the summer, live recordings for the holidays. Maybe they got hung up about whether to simply remaster Miles of Aisles or expand it to a full '74 show's worth of material, and couldn't figure out which to group it with?

RAZORMADE and Kiss73 like this.
  16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Suspect it's probably caught up in the worldwide manufacturing delays

17. Risking getting jumped on again but it is the good ol’ vinyl production log jam that is causing this.Maybe the 1st 4 Asylum albums-For The Roses,CourtAnd Spark,Miles Of Aisles and Hissing Of Summer Lawns - by the end of this year and Archives Volume 3 in the 1st half of next year.
    They definitely have things planned out and aren’t getting hung up about structure.With regard to Miles Of Aisles the original album will be in that collection and unreleased material or full shows from that tour will be in Archives Volume 3.

qtrules and Kiss73 like this.
  18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I thought this year we would be inundated with box sets in general following the world events of the past few years , but actually I'm beginning to think we will see less due to manufacturing issues.

19. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I'm hoping they have a recording of JM at the BBC in 1972 for her Sounds for Saturday concert where she played some of the songs from For the Roses. May be wishful thinking though.

kmk pdx likes this.
  20. There was a lot of BBC appearances in Volume2.I’m guessing your wishful thinking might be granted.

kmk pdx likes this.
  21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Surround mixes are being worked on now.

Tuco, JediJoker and JimW like this.
  22. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Maybe. The '70 BBC concert is all over YTube. But you're lucky if you can find a home recording of her '72 show. No video anywhere as far as I can see. Hope the Beeb didn't wipe it

Timjosephuk and GregorSamsa like this.
  23. jlf

Things are on track now.

Audio of the 1972 BBC show exists but I believe the video is lost.

24. jlf

While we wait for the next big announcement (won’t be too long now…) a quick message to say that Blue is back in print on vinyl.

Rhino and Record Store Day have teamed up to reissue the 2021 remaster on clear vinyl as part of the RSD Essentials series. You can buy it from your preferred independent shop from November 11.

[​IMG]

Joni Mitchell - Blue
    RSD Essential
    Clear Vinyl LP
    RELEASE DATE: 11/11/2022

DESCRIPTION:
    RSD Essential 031 * Blue is the fourth studio album by singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell, released on June 22, 1971, by Reprise Records. Written and produced entirely by Mitchell, it was recorded in 1971 at A&M Studios in Hollywood, California. Created just after her breakup with Graham Nash and during an intense relationship with James Taylor, Blue explores various facets of relationships from infatuation on "A Case of You" to insecurity on "This Flight Tonight". Today, Blue is generally regarded by music critics as one of the greatest albums of all time; the cohesion of Mitchell's songwriting, compositions and voice are frequent areas of praise. In other words, this album is ESSENTIAL.

TRACKLIST:

A1. All I Want
    A2. My Old Man
    A3. Little Green
    A4. Carey
    A5. Blue

B1. California
    B2. This Flight Tonight
    B3. River
    B4. A Case Of You
    B5. The Last Time I Saw Richard

25. CBackley