The Joni Mitchell Archives/Remasters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jun 30, 2020.

1. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

The price was unbeatable. $27 US, which for me was $35 Canadian.

daleyguy and bluemooze like this.
  2. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

$27.10. $38.44 all in s/h and tax. Dirt cheap. There were issues along the way... but all's well that ends well; hopefully; Dec. 2nd will tell the tale for me, but at this point I am even more then optimistic... confident. It wasn't so for some time. I do believe, am quite certain I won't go the Oldies route again... but never say never.

*I just took a look at your sojourn. I ordered mine on the same day as you. And just about 4,5 maybe 6 days ago; I've lost track, received my first email since they said it was sold out. The email included a tracking number which I've been checking and my box as I said is scheduled to arrive on Dec. 2nd. The path the box has taken has been much more direct then yours; 2 or 3 interim stops along the way. Your long and winding road must have been because you're in Canada if I've got that right; and Oldies ships from, at least mine originated from the US.

Were you provided an expected date of delivery? I'd get in touch with them and demand they send another box. Hopefully I won't be doing that myself. If it comes to that I'll just request a refund as I had ordered a box from Importcds in the interim and received it on the 28th. It was only about $10. more then the price at Oldies; which is currently about $59. but still/again listed as Sold Out. Keep in your head that when you finally do get a copy, from where ever you do (I'd say Importcds is your best bet all round)... It's a wonderful collection you're in for. Worst case scenario... It'll cost you a few buck more after you've received your refund and you'll have it in hand. The listening will be all the sweeter for having worked so hard and waited so long to finally get to hold it and hear it... savor it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Or order direct from Joni’s website — no fuss over packaging and she gets a better deal.

Jayseph, misteranderson and bluemooze like this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

That indeed is a good price. :)

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Thank you for this comment. I love this set and am so grateful to have it, but I do think they should consider a replacement strategy for the first disc. "Pastures of Plenty" is one of my favorite songs ever and I was so looking forward to enjoying Joni's version of it. From the taste of it I've gotten from the unadulterated portion of the recording (the first 45 seconds), it's not going to break into the top ranks of versions I've heard (Tom Paxton wins with me.) But I still want to hear it as recorded!

Phil Tate and Eric_Generic like this.
  6. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

After seeing folks posting here that they finally received their order from Oldies.com, or at least received an email indicating their order was being shipped, I called Customer Service for the second time to check on the status of my order that was placed on October 29th. When I called the first time, they advised they were awaiting 151 units from the shipper of which 150 had already been sold, including one for me. When I called the second time, I was advised that all available units had been shipped and mine was shown as still being on back order. At that point, I asked they simply cancel the order. The Customer Service rep said it would take 10 to 14 days for the refund to show up on my PayPal account. I hope they do a better job at providing refunds than they do at filling orders.

I went ahead and placed an order with ImportCDs.com for this release and won’t be using Oldies.com for any further purchases, regardless of the cost savings.

7. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I was about to call Oldies customer service for the 2nd time because the latest tracking info was from November 4th. Today it finally shows it arrived in Canada and should be delivered this Friday. Yay! (Sorry bluemooze)

bluemooze likes this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Hi @jlf - you’ve mentioned this a number of times so I was curious if you know the details of how she is compensated through the storefront on her site (which appears to be run by the label) vs other retailers. Or is it mainly that since her store charges the full retail price there is bound to be more in her cut?

9. jlf

The price + there’s no middle-man retailer to deal with

adamos likes this.
  10. Chromatica

Chromatica Forum Resident

Any gossip about volume two? I know they just started it this year, but I’m so excited!

11. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Me too! But FYI, I'm so excited wasn't Joni, it was the Pointer Sisters. :nyah: :D

12. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Foo. My Oldies order, placed Oct 19, still reads “Order Currently Being Processed.”
    Calling them today.

13. jlf

Far too early to say.

14. Jimbino

Heard back from Oldies:
    Another shipment is due “at any time now” and all outstanding orders will be fulfilled.

15. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I hope you get your order filled in the not too distant future. For what it’s worth, after cancelling my order with a Oldies.com, I placed an order with ImportCDs.com for about $5 more than Oldies.com would have charged. It was shipped the following day and is scheduled to arrive here by Monday.

Jimbino likes this.
  16. Jimbino

The good news is that I have so much music coming at me due to Black Friday etc. deals that I dunno where I'll find the time to listen to this all anyways.

imarcq and Eric_Generic like this.
  17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I placed an order through Joni’s site and still have my Oldies active. I will cancel the one that doesn’t ship first.

18. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

A new volume every year does not seem unreasonable. I'm sure Joni would like to be around for as much of the project as possible.

GregorSamsa and Eric_Generic like this.
  19. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

True, but balance that with the fact that she's curating these collections and we don't move as quickly as we age; plus, I'm sure she has other endeavors to pursue. My guess would be every two years or so- though I hope I'm wrong and you're right!

20. jlf

21. Jimbino

My Oldies order has finally shipped! Looking forward to spending time with Joni over the holidays.
    :goodie:

adamos, JR63 and daleyguy like this.
  22. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

I receive my order from Oldies.com and my family wrapped and put under the tree. I can't sneak anything by in December.

23. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

After canceling my order from Oldies.com, I received this excellent boxed set today from ImportCDs.com. I’ve listened to the first CD and I’m now part way through the second one. Christmas has come early!

24. Andrew Johnston

Andrew Johnston Forum Resident

Any reviews on the vinyl quality of this? I am hesitant to buy due to the GZ pressing. I have had zero success with GZ

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Early Joni on clear vinyl is perfect. Unfortunately a couple tracks on the white Canterbury House LPs have significant noise and it’s not nearly as good a pressing overall as Early Joni.

I have no idea how good the black LPs are.

I wrote to Dr. Rhino about the issues on CD 1, because Pastures of Plenty isn’t the only track that’s glitchy for me, and also about the Canterbury vinyl.

Eric_Generic likes this.